CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

6 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

In reality, these X-men numbers would be fine had this been the sequel to first class. Disappointing numbers no doubt, but hey even DOFP sold less tickets than Orgins OW. There was never really any way this would break out. 

Making a better movie with a more intriguing premise...

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

The general public probably doesn't know the Fantastic Four movies are separate from MCU.

But we know better.

Having the Marvel logo at the beginning doesn't help much. While not a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, it is a Marvel movie. 

I enjoyed it. 3rd act kinda turns into standard material, there's a pointless act 2 action sequence/plot bit that is 100% awkward shoehorning, and 3 of the Four Horsemen are non-developed goons.

But the first half of the movie has really strong build up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

The general public probably doesn't know the Fantastic Four movies are separate from MCU.

But we know better.

Stinkers don't come from the MCU.  They come from the Fox. :redcapes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Yeah, cinemascores can sometimes be based on particular audiences reaction, like in the case of Christian movie, which will no doubt give a movie like God's Not Dead 1 or 2, or Miracles From Heaven an A, because it's reinforces their faith beliefs.

The problem is, is that people too much emphasis on cinemascores, Deadline being especially annoying in that regard. They're based off a very limited number of people, and unless a movie gets an F or A+ cinemascores, there's no real reason to roll your eyes at them.

I think we've adjusted our thinking to account for at least one flaw.    Polling opening weekend (or opening day especially) is going to give a higher than normal score because you are polling the people most biased in favor of a movie.   But we account for that by noting a "B" score for a high profile fan driven movie...normally thought of as very good...is sub par as a cinemascore.    There must be a problem with a fan driven movie if it can't even get an "A" from their target audience.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Deadpool is going to annihilate X-Men in gross. That is kind of sad. 

...and telling.   Somehow Fox has managed to not get near 250m with one of the most popular comic book franchises of all time.     Even Sony...as bad as they've screwed up at times...managed to do that at least.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

The launch into the opening titles was like half as cool as it was in X2 & DOFP unfortunately 

But we got the Ottman theme, which in the end is all that matters.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

I think we've adjusted our thinking to account for at least one flaw.    Polling opening weekend (or opening day especially) is going to give a higher than normal score because you are polling the people most biased in favor of a movie.   But we account for that by noting a "B" score for a high profile fan driven movie...normally thought of as very good...is sub par as a cinemascore.    There must be a problem with a fan driven movie if it can't even get an "A" from their target audience.

Fair point, but truthfully these cinemascores are usually trying to get more general audience reactions, so I don't think fanboy dissatisfaction necessarily spells doom to a film, unless said movie was already limited by it's audience, but you do have a good point regardless.

• Like 1

Birdman was so sharp in its meta analysis of the superhero genre, INARRITU is the masterful director of our time our generation needs.

Birdman reallly opened my eyes about how void and futile all these movies are, how very little true art they have in them.

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Birdman was so charp in its meta analysis of the superhero genre, INARRITU is the masterful director of our time our generation needs.

Charp: " the green, mutant like potato chip found in every potato chip bag. There's always one or two... "

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

I enjoyed it. 3rd act kinda turns into standard material, there's a pointless act 2 action sequence/plot bit that is 100% awkward shoehorning, and 3 of the Four Horsemen are non-developed goons.

But the first half of the movie has really strong build up.

lol for all the buzz her casting, that was such a nothing role for Olivia Munn. Why they got someone semi-famous, I have no idea. At least she made a stronger impression than that 12 year-old with wings.

• Like 1

was wondering what i coulda missed in this thread since i'm 40 pages behind, so i go to the most recent post and it's just futurist rehashing his birdman snark again. so i guess nothing. same old whatevers.

• Like 6