La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

next weekend i'm really looking forward to all the posts that are gonna start with "well actually the international numbers..." and end in some kind of character insult. might have to make it into a drinking game.

• Like 2

Do we know how much Universal contributed to the production costs for WARCRAFT? For some reason, I'm under the assumption that Legendary put up most (if not all) of it.

Regardless, I think both companies will be fine -- China will save their ass.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Absolutely awful for Turtles and definitely a win for MBY.  A popular book plus very smart leads is going to lead to a big win for the studio.

In regards to the rest of the summer, the ONLY sequels I think have a shot at outgrossing their predecessors are Conjuring 2 and Dory.  The Conjuring will be going off a lot of good will from the first and early reviews seem to indicate this is on par with the first.  Legs probably won't be as strong but I think if it can open to 55-60 it can make up the difference.  Dory will win the summer.  I'm not trying to sound crazy but I think theres an OUTSIDE shot of 500.  400 seems the floor to me (I know that will get some backlash) but I think it and the Incredibles are the only Pixar films people are really excited to see a sequel for. Secret Life of Pets could obviously squash Dory's changes of going atmospheric if it doesn't have a huge rush but I think it will.  It's a true 4 quadrant film.

The one thing I'm really confused on is people thinking Independence Day will pass the original.  The trailers have been really poor and every time I see it before a film (including last night before Turtles) I feel like there's no audience reaction.  It's just shit blowing up with terrible one liners.  Goodblum helps but I just can't see this being a big hit and would legitimately not be surprised if it doesn't out open the original.  Seems like a 150 grosser to me.

Shrek 2>FD

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Nothing here makes sense. Why would MBY only do 15M OW from a 7-8M OD? And why would TMNT not do 32-35M from a 11M Friday?

It's Deadline math. It never makes any sense.

9 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

It's not like the genre it's parodying did that great in the first place and as more popstars did it the grosses got worse. Still can't believe Bieber did 2 of them. I still plan on checking it out. 

I think it looks pretty good, but it was kinda doomed from the minute, it was greenlit.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Why does everyone care about Warcraft so much? I'm pretty sure I'm part of the movie's target audience (teenage-to-30-something males) and even I think it looks lame.

Studios I think really need to think about their decisions from now on. Stop making too many sequels(although I liked Neighbors 2). It's good to see WB have a decent hit after the underrated(although it does well on RT and audiences it bombed at the box office) buddy movie The Nice Guys flopped. It should hold stronger and if it proves to be more sucessful in the evening and tomorrow and Sunday with strong holds and maybe decent increases it could win. Turtles I think Michael Bay involved films are dying off at the box office 13 Hours was considered a dissapointment back in January and now possibly the Turtles sequel which turn out to gross around Terminator:Genisys