La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

New Line is going to have a good summer with Me Before You, Central Intelligence and The Conjuring as all three likely have moderate budgets and will make their budgets back and then some from domestic alone, OS will be just gravy

If Suicide Squad is a big breakout later this summer, then I think it's time to say that superhero franchise fatigue is kicking in and that people want to see fresh superhero films, rather than endless sequels. That would account for the constant drops of every superhero sequel (even the well-liked ones like Avengers and X-Men) and why Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool and (theoretically) Suicide Squad have been the biggest breakout superhero movies in the past couple of years.

Edited by Treecraft
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

If Suicide Squad is a big breakout later this summer, then I think it's time to say that superhero franchise fatigue is kicking in and that people want to see fresh superhero films, rather than endless sequels. That would account for the constant drops of every superhero sequel (even the well-liked ones like Avengers and X-Men) and why Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool and (theoretically) Suicide Squad have been the biggest breakout superhero movies in the past couple of years.

However the issue is making a steady source of revenue...

I have doubts GOTG2 and dead pool sequels will increase domestically at all.

Overseas can be odd..

IM3 can do 800 million and DOFP 500+ but then sequels do less lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep

19 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

Both SS and DS have a decent breather from CBMs. So if fatigue is happening, the break will help them.

Have mentioned movies in months they made/will make a significant amount of money (say, >50m).

FEB - DP

MAR - DP, BVS

APR - BVS

MAY - CW, APOC

JUN - APOC

JUL -

AUG - SS

SEP -

OCT -

NOV - DS

The clutter in the 1st half is evident.

Edited by a2knet

2 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

At some point there will be superhero fatigue but i find it quite strange that only that genre is stricken by fatigue for having its sequels going down when i have yet to see fatigue being brought up for example for other franchises going down.

I don't recall people talking about Bond fatigue when Spectre ended up 50% lower than Skyfall on the domestic front or about $200+M workdwide lesser than it.

I also never heard people saying there is a Mission Impossible fatigue though the movies have peaked in 2000 on the domestic front and have since decreased on that market each new movie in.

Again it seems that fatigue is only reserved for superheroe movies whose sequels go down whereas other sequels going down have nothing to do with it.

• Like 4

Just now, Ent said:

I don't recall people talking about Bond fatigue when Spectre ended up 50% lower than Skyfall on the domestic front or about $200+M workdwide lesser than it.

People instinctively know that Bond will outlive us all regardless of box office fluctuations. One Bond movie every three years isn't comparable to 87 superhero movies a year anyway.

I actually don't think there's SH movie fatigue yet, but we may be starting to see shared universe fatigue.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ent said:

At some point there will be superhero fatigue but i find it quite strange that only that genre is stricken by fatigue for having its sequels going down when i have yet to see fatigue being brought up for example for other franchises going down.

I also never heard people saying there is a Mission Impossible fatigue though the movies have peaked in 2000 on the domestic front and have since decreased on that market each new movie in.

Again it seems that fatigue is only reserved for superheroe movies whose sequels go down whereas other sequels going down have nothing to do with it.

To be fair, a decrease for Spectre was, at least in my eyes, always foreseeable. Skyfall was a perfect storm, from the Adele song, to the London Olympics marketing, to the incredible reviews. Spectre had none of those advantages - Sam Smith song, while a hit, was nowhere near as commercially or critically succesful; there were no Olympics or any other kind of special UK event marketing; and the movie got mediocre WOM. It still did fine, all things considered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

There's "everything fatigue".

Everything is flopping or disappointing, not just superhero movies.

Didn't seem to be much fatigue for Deadpool, Zootopia or The Jungle Book. Are you sure you're on the right track?

1 hour ago, leatherjacket said:

Few months ago, we were talking about 280-320M for APOC, if anyone guessed these true low numbers back then we could call him insane. These summer numbers are alarming and really a game changer for the movie business in the future.

If you look at my posts, I was not too bullish, though not this low. I thought 540 or 550 WW would happen.

Dory will be the big hit of June. Every month seems to have one this year. July will be Pets. August will be Suicide Squad. September will be Magnificent 7. October seems to be the only month where the money will be spread across a bunch of solid hits. November will be Fantastic Beasts and/or Moana (Doctor Strange will perform in the same way as Ant-Man). December will be Rogue One. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Dory will be the big hit of June. Every month seems to have one this year. July will be Pets. August will be Suicide Squad. September will be Magnificent 7. October seems to be the only month where the money will be spread across a bunch of solid hits. November will be Fantastic Beasts and/or Moana (Doctor Strange will perform in the same way as Ant-Man). December will be Rogue One. 

Define big hit. Some people will be crestfallen if Dory doesn't pass $400m dom.

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

I don't remember people talking 280-320m. I certainly remember people talking about 180-220m. So it will go lower than expectations surely. But with 3 big grossing CBMs before it, no wolvie and meh marketing, ~150m dom, down from 180-220m is not a shocker imo. Just underwhelming.

Also, weaker reviews and less enthusiastic reception.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Define big hit. Some people will be crestfallen if Dory doesn't pass $400m dom.

300M+ is already a hype sucking machine that will kill everything around it except Central Intelligence. 

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I think it gets closer to The Dark World in terms of final domestic gross

Whatever. Either way I am defining big hit per month this year by 300M (except in September, October and January)

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Well that's what happens when people get offended showing a Super Villain choking a female Superhero on the poster.. They stop seeing the movie cause of it.. Just kidding though, but still.. This stupid complaint of a female being mistreated by a Powerful villain is asinine to say the least...

That complain was one of the dumbest things I have read in a long time. We are getting THAT sensitive lol.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Didn't seem to be much fatigue for Deadpool, Zootopia or The Jungle Book. Are you sure you're on the right track?

Fatigue suggest audiences get tired over time, not that they were always fatigued. :depp: