La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

1 Captain America: Civil War BV $1,131.5 $388.9 34.4% $742.6 65.6%
2 Zootopia BV $1,000.0 $337.2 33.7% $662.8 66.3%
3 The Jungle Book (2016) BV $895.1 $347.5 38.8% $547.6 61.2%
4 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice WB $871.9 $329.6 37.8% $542.3 62.2%
5 Deadpool Fox $763.4 $363.0 47.5% $400.4 52.5%
6 The Mermaid (Mei ren yu) Sony $553.8 $3.2 0.6% $550.6 99.4%
7 Kung Fu Panda 3 Fox $518.1 $143.2 27.6% $374.9 72.4%
8 Monster Hunt FR $385.3 $32.8k 0.0% $385.3 100.0%

Waiting for updates : XMA, AB.   WARCRAFT 70M

• Like 1

Really hoping The Lobster expands a bit more next weekend and crawls to $10m. But even if it doesn't A24 did a great job taking it into near-wide release.

The Nice Guys sub-20% PTA drop. Maybe this will keep it from losing another 1000 theaters next weekend but it's still a serious bummer how little it's gonna make theatrically. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Solid for Me Before You. 50M locked, but I'm actually wondering if it can hit 60M.

It should hit 60m or more. No real competition for female audiences until Bad Moms. 

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Really hoping The Lobster expands a bit more next weekend and crawls to $10m. But even if it doesn't A24 did a great job taking it into near-wide release.

I don't see it happening. It's just too weird for a GA. Plus it has Colin Farrell (I like him but he's b.o. poison). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Bad 60% 2nd wknd stumble for w/ just $10.7M. Will finish at near $75M - below Tomorrowland, LoneRanger & maybe JohnCarter too.

The drop off for this sequel is insane. People must have really hated the first Alice.

I would be worried for pirates 5, if I was Disney right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

I don't see it happening. It's just too weird for a GA. Plus it has Colin Farrell (I like him but he's b.o. poison). 

It barely needs to reach the GA. I'm not talking about a serious Wes Anderson-type wide expansion, just about adding a couple hundred more theaters next weekend, having a small drop as a result, and crawling the rest of the way with help from WOM and summer weekdays. It's gonna end up with $7-8m in any case which is already a win for a film like this, making it to $10m would just be an icing on the cake. 

Both Popstar and The Nice Guys have been pretty good movies this summer, and it's a shame they are flopping. I saw Popstar last night at the movies and it was surprisingly pretty damn funny I haven't laughed my ass off this much since This Is The End. 

• Like 5

Saw Alice, TMNT, MBY, and Popstar this weekend. Alice at 170 budget and TMNT especially at 135 budget is telling me CGI isn't as expensive as practical. X-Men Apoc seemed to use much more practical and was more expensive. TMNT was almost a cartoon.  MBY was sold out. Popstar was nearly sold out. TMNT was nearly full too, but mostly very young kids w/ a 4 to 1 kid to adult ratio. Idk how some individual parents can bring in all their kids and their friends. Alice had a slightly older demo than TMNT but it wasn't even half filled. Surprisingly, my wife was pleasantly surprised how much she liked all the films except for MBY. I preferred MBY and Popstar...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Both Popstar and The Nice Guys have been pretty good movies this summer, and it's a shame they are flopping. I saw Popstar last night at the movies and it was surprisingly pretty damn funny I haven't laughed my ass off this much since This Is The End. 

The audience for those films were just too limited. Popstar looked like an Snl skit, a show that's been largely irrelevant in the last decade or so.

50 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I can only access the first paragraph. After that you need to join the site. 

yeah, annoyingly the online version is locked :( 

I read it in the paper this morning :P 

The Conjuring 2: 52M

Now You See Me 2: 19M

Warcraft: 17M

TMNT: 14.5M 

Me Before You: 11M

X-Men: 10.8M

Alice: 5.4M

Angry Birds: 5M

Captain America: 3.8M

The Jungle Book: 2.8M

X-Men's gonna be out of the Top 5 next weekend :lol: 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

See, comments like this from him are part of the problem.  It was a good movie and a well reviewed movie.  Why is that something bad to give financing and marketing/distribution support to?

Because the movie will make little profit, so studios will be less likely to give movies like it a theatrical release. It'd be better off released only on VOD/streaming