baumer

Finding Dory (2016)

Grade it  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Piper had some of the most amazing animation I've ever seen.  Just like the river scenes from The Good Dinosaur, I couldn't stop marveling at how realistic the water and beach were.  Overall, I enjoyed the short a lot, but I think Lava is still my favorite Pixar short. 

As for Finding Dory, haven't laughed as much during a Pixar movie since Finding Nemo.  The new characters where all great, with Hank and Becky stealing many of the scenes.  Kids loved it and couldn't wait to see it again.  Solid A. 

• Like 2

Regarding complaints about Dory's memory being as good as the plot needs it to be, I think it's worth mentioning that Dory's condition isn't really "short term memory loss", it's a difficulty in retrieving memories; which is consistent with how it's portrayed in the original film. Her memory is jogged by trigger words and images, and obviously since the MLI is where she was raised it could trigger a lot of those memories.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

Saw this yesterday and wanted to wait over night and get my thoughts in order before posting:

So overall this wasn't better than Nemo for me, better to just out right put that out there. Finding Dory never made me feel that special feeling like when I saw Finding Nemo for the first time, why that is who knows. I just feel like Nemo from a plot wise flowed better than perhaps Dory so when you're watching it nothing ever felt out of place, whereas I think Dory in areas in the middle I kind of lost focus. 

Other than that though I think this was another solid film for Pixar, and I'm very glad with what I got after seeing the very un-impressive trailers for Dory. It has some flaws, but the good that this film brings to not only everyone but especially those with disabilities that can relate to this makes up for it. The new characters, especially hank, were good. It might just be me, but I found Marlin and Nemo kind of dragged the story a bit and were uninteresting. I almost preferred if the movie were mostly all Dory because whenever she was on I liked it. And for me, I'm not sure how I feel about Dory actually reuniting with her parents. I almost feel like it would have been more realistic and better had she not found them and left it back in the quarantine zone because to be honest that was my guess of what was going to happen as she went missing years ago. It felt a bit cliche for her to just randomly bump into them, but I do get that this is a kid's film to I understand why they made it that way.

Overall this was a pretty solid film that I'd go see again. I'd give it a 7.5/10 and a low B+ rating (86). 

• Like 1

Just saw it, really good. Was on par with the first one I think. The animation was beautiful. The music was pretty good (though it did sound like Bond at times)

The comedy was great, loved the sea lions!

A

So, Finding Marlin in 2029? :P

Bond...? :mellow:

I mean, Thomas Newman did score the last two of those films but that wasn't the first thing that came to mind thinking of the music. Seemed mostly like a blend of Nemo and Wall-E's cues with a bit of American Beauty thrown in

• Like 1

Part of it sounded like spy music to me for some reason :P (its not like how when you hear a John Williams score it sometimes sounds like Indy or Star Wars or Hook-which Potters theme reminds me of. Or there is how I swear TDK sounds kind of like Pirates)

I gave this movie an F. From the opening scene with dory I was very annoyed with the voice of the character and the little fish itself. Something rubbed me the wrong way. When she explained her memory problems, they were a mix of short term, but than also threw in the typical adhd joke ... 'oh is that the color purple' which distracted her. I forgave that scene and continued on. Sure enough, dory brought this memory issue up every single time, further annoying me. I gave it the benfit of the doubt and thought the side characters would pick up the slack. 20 minutes in, formulaic, bland. Spit joke off a turtle ... no laughs. 40 minutes in, nothing interesting. I checked out after that. Finally the seals showed up for a brief moment of comedic relief. The squid was funny and underutilized. We spent $200 on the day out with this movie.

An F.

On 6/25/2016 at 3:24 AM, mdot1982 said:

I gave this movie an F. From the opening scene with dory I was very annoyed with the voice of the character and the little fish itself. Something rubbed me the wrong way. When she explained her memory problems, they were a mix of short term, but than also threw in the typical adhd joke ... 'oh is that the color purple' which distracted her. I forgave that scene and continued on. Sure enough, dory brought this memory issue up every single time, further annoying me. I gave it the benfit of the doubt and thought the side characters would pick up the slack. 20 minutes in, formulaic, bland. Spit joke off a turtle ... no laughs. 40 minutes in, nothing interesting. I checked out after that. Finally the seals showed up for a brief moment of comedic relief. The squid was funny and underutilized. We spent $200 on the day out with this movie.

An F.

Geez I'm one of the one's who thought it was the most average here and I didn't think it was that bad. Like not anywhere close.

I didn't like the 3rd act but see a lot of other people do and I guess theaters were cracking up during A Wonderful World. I didn't see it in a full theater so I thought it was ridiculous. I like a lot of Dreamworks animated films. A lot of times they feel like you are watching a big budget motion simulator. That entire last act lost me here though in a movie that I was really enjoying up until it minus a few conveniences. 

I'm willing to turn my brain off for something like ID:R but not Pixar. They are usually a lot better then having to resort to this stuff.

People can say it's animated or for kids all they want but Finding Nemo never established this sort of thing. Right when the escape started none of it made sense. If the whales weren't happy and could escape anytime they wanted then why did they wait for that exact moment to jump the border? It just felt like backlash from Blackfish. Yeah the otters were cute but Dory and crew just happen to run into a crew of them that will stop traffic because they need a diversion. All of it was so out of tone with what Pixar usually does. Again, it's a kids movie and a lot of people like how over the top it was but for me Toy Story set up characters that could do this stuff in that universe and Finding Nemo did not. There's a huge difference and I wasn't willing to go with it this time. And I knew that comparison was going to be brought up because of how similar this scene was to Toy Story 2.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

On June 24, 2016 at 10:08 PM, Impact said:

Part of it sounded like spy music to me for some reason :P (its not like how when you hear a John Williams score it sometimes sounds like Indy or Star Wars or Hook-which Potters theme reminds me of. Or there is how I swear TDK sounds kind of like Pirates)

Newman has a distinct style, as does Hans Zimmer, plus many contemporary scores will use similar progressions and such so you'll hear the similarities.  Newman definitely composed in his Newman style for this one, but I thought he did a good job altering the original Nemo score to a more personal feeling (for a more personal movie) for this one.

On 6/24/2016 at 11:08 PM, Impact said:

The music that played during the ending credits did remind me of spy music quite a bit. Heck it sounded way more Bondian / Barry then either of Newman's own Bond scores (not a spite against them, I still enjoy listening to Skyfall) In fact, I told my mom as we were standing in the theaters, this sounds like it belongs in a James Bond film. However the rest of the music was more of Newman's typical style.

Certainly one of the best sequel scores I've ever heard. It's largely original music, which is a plus. It's up there with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, just about every Goldsmith sequel score, and all of the original Pink Panther scores.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

it's not... bad? I definitely think Marlin and Nemo didn't need to be in it as much as they did, especially in the first half, which seemed to be fulfilling a quota that demanded familiar characters to show up.

those two held the movie back in my opinion, the constant back and forth between what actually mattered and Nemo & Marlin quest, that was mostly played for laughs, was annoying, making the whole enterprise rushed as hell.

besides that, I thought FD was good enough.

65/100

Edited by Goffe