WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

6 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Roland Emmerich is a strange case in that he has basically been coasting off of Independence Day's success ever since. If you look at the rest of his output, nothing else even comes close to Independence Day's level of box office success, even in spite of the fact that the $300 milestone - while still big and certainly not attainable for every film with a nine-figure budget - is now far more attainable for event films. It even seems like most people have forgotten the fact that his much-maligned Godzilla remake fell far short of the sky-high expectations back in its day.

He's really only notable for being the only gay foreigner to make a $300M+ studio hit.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm not even feeling The Purge either. Where's the marketing for it? Weird, given that the Election Year theme seemed perfectly timed to coincide with the looming threat of a Trump presidency.

Like we were saying earlier, marketing peaked a looooooooooooong time ago.

IDR deserves to tank like it is.  It's not even an inspired failure of quality.  It didn't even try, which was what was so frustrating.  It literally might have been the laziest big studio movie of the decade

1 minute ago, The Pandaren said:

IDR deserves to tank like it is.  It's not even an inspired failure of quality.  It didn't even try, which was what was so frustrating.  It literally might have been the laziest big studio movie of the decade

It seemed like it was gonna ramp up to something. And then it slowly just kinda withered and died. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Because

Which is in keeping with Roland Emmerich's last film, 'Stonewall', which was also a terrible, whitewashed, piece of garbage film that pushed real life people of colour to the sidelines. Can you tell that I'm so over this director?

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfran43 said:

It s Jurassic World all over again.

An unremarkable film is getting an insane box office run.

Nostalgia ...

Edited by The Futurist

6 minutes ago, The Pandaren said:

Your flopnation club may or may not succeed. Bourne, GB, and Star Trek all have a solid shot at 150M in my book. But, you considered ID-R a longshot and a lot of people were hesitant to join because of it. And yet, it may be one of the movies that did not make it across the finish line.

Edited by superweirdo87
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I guess this means Emmerich won't be able to continue to afford those extravagant pool parties he throws at his mansion every weekend. ;)

wow, didn't know that! He is Brett Ratner, ay? Maybe he should become a producer rather than continue as a director.

5 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Your flopnation club may or may not succeed. Bourne, GB, and Star Trek all have a solid shot at 150M in my book. But, you considered ID-R a longshot and a lot of people were hesitant to join because of it. And yet, it may be one of the movies that did not make it across the finish line.

The only reason that club might actually fail now is because I thought X-Men's legs would be worse.  So it'll be just barely unless one of the three you mentioned can break out.

Edited by The Pandaren

9 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

It seemed like it was gonna ramp up to something. And then it slowly just kinda withered and died. 

The ending made me think of this movie. 

7 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

It's too late, Apocalypse crossed 150M

5 minutes ago, BourneFan #1 said:

Cloverfield was really damn intense. I can't believe it's taken me this long to watch it.

I never get motion sickness, and yet I felt like I was on the verge of barfing by the end when I saw it on its opening night. Then again, I saw it at a theatre that had been open since the mid-70s (that stayed open until about five years ago) that didn't have stadium seating, so even every seat in the biggest auditorium (which had 225 seats, tops - and that's not a whole lot in older auditoriums that packed seats as close together as possible) was relatively close to the screen.