CJohn

Ralph Breaks the Internet | Rich Moore / Phil Johnston | 21st November, 2018

5 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Wait, I just realized the first Ralph came out 6 years ago. What happened?  It's a critical and financial success and usually they would make a sequel within 2-3 years.

Well this is the first sequel from WDAS. I'm a little surprised this is the one they chose given that it was their lowest grossing movie.

Also Frozen was way more successful than Ralph and that has a 6 year gap to the sequel that comes out next year.

I mean Frozen was probably the most successful film since Avatar yet they still wait 6 years for a sequel. I dont really get it.

Edited by Treeing Me Apart

9 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Wait, I just realized the first Ralph came out 6 years ago. What happened?  It's a critical and financial success and usually they would make a sequel within 2-3 years.

Big Hero 6 was a bigger success and we haven't had a sequel to that too. Both have the same prod budget according to Mojo and the marketing would be similar too:

222.5 dom + 435.3 os = 657.8 ww; 3.96x multi (BH6)

189.4 dom + 281.8 os = 471.2 ww; 3.87x multi (WIR)

[both had a 3-day ow over in early Nov]

42 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Well this is the first sequel from WDAS. I'm a little surprised this is the one they chose given that it was their lowest grossing movie.

Also Frozen was way more successful than Ralph and that has a 6 year gap to the sequel that comes out next year.

I mean Frozen was probably the most successful film since Avatar yet they still wait 6 years for a sequel. I dont really get it.

That kinda depends on what's your perception of success, tbh. If it's as far as being a pop culture phenomenon, then yeah, I guess that's fair. If it's just as far as being a huge critical and financial hit, Avengers outgrossed it in pretty much all areas, and in some cases by a long distance. Deathly Hallows Part 2 did more WW as well (though not DOM).

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

That kinda depends on what's your perception of success, tbh. If it's as far as being a pop culture phenomenon, then yeah, I guess that's fair. If it's just as far as being a huge critical and financial hit, Avengers outgrossed it in pretty much all areas, and in some cases by a long distance. Deathly Hallows Part 2 did more WW as well (though not DOM).

He is most probably including merchandise, which makes frozen second only to star wars. Actually in 2014 it was more than star wars, avengers, spider man, cinderella combined.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vc2002 said:

They were planning to make it earlier but Rich Moore was brought on to Zootopia so it was delayed.

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I mean in terms of revenue - not only ticket sales but merchandise. I would be very surprised if anything before Force Awakens was more profitable than Frozen. I'm surprised it took them 6 years to make a sequel, would have thought they would fast track it and get it out sooner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

I mean in terms of revenue - not only ticket sales but merchandise. I would be very surprised if anything before Force Awakens was more profitable than Frozen. I'm surprised it took them 6 years to make a sequel, would have thought they would fast track it and get it out sooner.

Disney generally don’t rush out sequels to their cartoon films. Hell they didn’t do sequels until the 1990s. They’re not DWS or Illumination or others in this regard.

Even TOY STORY 2 which came out 4 years after TS happened for a myriad of reasons including A BUG’S LIFE’s limpwrist box office (and a Disney pact that screwed them basically) leaving Pixar in a precious position. 

Exception would obviously have to be CARS and well, King Mickey loved the merch money. (Funny enough CARS 3 merch sales were a dud apparently so sometimes mindless greed does indeed trip.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Yeah I almost forgot Frozen will have a sequel. That's a guaranteed monstrous hit. And of cause as someone else mentioned there will be a Big Hero 6 sequel as well and that's also a guaranteed big hit.

Man, it's as if Disney hasn't been donimating this industry enough...:bourne:

Edited by vc2002

21 minutes ago, RRA said:

Disney generally don’t rush out sequels to their cartoon films. Hell they didn’t do sequels until the 1990s. They’re not DWS or Illumination or others in this regard.

Even TOY STORY 2 which came out 4 years after TS happened for a myriad of reasons including A BUG’S LIFE’s limpwrist box office (and a Disney pact that screwed them basically) leaving Pixar in a precious position. 

Exception would obviously have to be CARS and well, King Mickey loved the merch money. (Funny enough CARS 3 merch sales were a dud apparently so sometimes mindless greed does indeed trip.)

Any source of it? Would be interesting to know how the merchandise numbers have been for the three Cars movies. C1 i think was brutal. Cars 2 decreased from C1, but still had big numbers. Don't heard a word about C3.

I think I already asked it, but is there any site where to check movie merchandise sales, dvd-bluray-vod incomes ... movies numbers' apart from box office.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

And even then the cars sequels were 5 and 6 years apart. Disney has just never been in the huge rush it out game when it comes to theatrical sequels. 

It's curious how people criticize Disney and Pixar for their sequels, remakes, lack of ideas ... and Illumination is praised as a new and fresh champion in the race, tough Illumination has 8 movies to date, 4 of which are sequels (DM 1, 2 3 and Minions, with M2 in the way). And from their next four confirmed releases, 3 are sequels (Minions 2, Sing 2 and Pets 2). And most surely there will be a DM4. 

So, 5 DM/Minions movies in 10 years for Illumination, 4 Toy Story movies in 24 years for Pixar. And Pixar is the one running out of ideas. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Any source of it? Would be interesting to know how the merchandise numbers have been for the three Cars movies. C1 i think was brutal. Cars 2 decreased from C1, but still had big numbers. Don't heard a word about C3.

I think I already asked it, but is there any site where to check movie merchandise sales, dvd-bluray-vod incomes ... movies numbers' apart from box office.

no, there's not. some sites like The Numbers do track domestic DVD & Bluray sales though.

also 4 Toy Story movies in 24 years? TS4 is not coming out in 2019. They haven't even written the script yet

Edited by Treeing Me Apart

31 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

For merchandise there is licensing letter, Their 2016 report-

https://www.thelicensingletter.com/100mil-chart/

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

no, there's not. some sites like The Numbers do track domestic DVD & Bluray sales though.

also 4 Toy Story movies in 24 years? TS4 is not coming out in 2019. They haven't even written the script yet

Really? I would say Disney does not look like the kind of studio that once they give an official date for a movie they suddenly change it (as Fox did with DP2 recently). It's dated for june 21st 2019. Still a year and a half to go. 

But if that were the case, even better for my arguments ... 4 TS movies in more than 24 years. 

7 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Really? I would say Disney does not look like the kind of studio that once they give an official date for a movie they suddenly change it (as Fox did with DP2 recently). It's dated for june 21st 2019. Still a year and a half to go. 

But if that were the case, even better for my arguments ... 4 TS movies in more than 24 years. 

Disney still has an official date in November this year for Mulan, which seems slightly unlikely given it hasn't started filming yet. ;) 

1 hour ago, RRA said:

Disney generally don’t rush out sequels to their cartoon films. Hell they didn’t do sequels until the 1990s.

Kind of insane, when one realizes this is the second WDAS made sequel.

Depending on how one falls on whatever Fantasia 2000 is.

28 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Disney still has an official date in November this year for Mulan, which seems slightly unlikely given it hasn't started filming yet. ;) 

Last D23 Expo, july 2017, Disney already announced that Mulan would be moved to 2019 (without a date ... what probably would mean it will be in 2020). That november 2018 release date (same than Nutcracker, which already has a teaser with the release date on it) is only on BOM site. 

• Like 1

Looking at three-quels,

TS3 came 15 years after TS1. Pixar

Cars3 came 11 years after Cars1. Pixar

KFP3 came 8 years after KFP1. DW

DM3 came in 7 years after DM1. Illumination

Shrek3 came in 6 years after Shrek1. DW

Don't have much data but Disney/Pixar does have a bigger gap.