CJohn

Ralph Breaks the Internet | Rich Moore / Phil Johnston | 21st November, 2018

3 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

This forum in particular has a very strong pro-Disney, anti-Sony/Paramount/LGF mindset, and Ive seen a lot of “lol WB sucks” comments lately.

To be honest, I see it as well. 

• Like 3

This forum isn't even close to being super pro-Disney. Most here are very pro MCU these days, but you can thank the last 4-5 films in a row released for that. Most people enjoyed all of those films, and hardly just the members here. Aside from MCU, Disney gets just as much flack and whatnot as any other studio around here. At least other studios don't have people here claiming that critical reception is paid for by the studio and that garbage. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

At least other studios don't have people here claiming that critical reception is paid for by the studio and that garbage. 

And the people who believed that tend to be fanboys. I’ve yet to a serious poster on the board believe that garbage.

• Like 1

Well shit man, it's not like Star Wars is like all over the fucking internet for the last .......I dunno, twenty years or so? It's been DEAFENING since 2014.

The Emoji Movie had only one good scene, the Just Dance sequence. Emoji was just bad execution all over. 

But in Ralph, you see Amazon, Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook n shit, the first teaser showed clickbait ads. Also search engines and autofills. The Disney sequence isn't the entire movie, but it's also a recreation of what might be Disney's biggest website at the moment.

But, of course Disney advertising itself is bad because HRR DRRR DISNEY TOO POWERFUL.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

Everytime EmpireCity posts something about the Princesses I get more excited. 

And I think it is safe to say the Princesses, not Ralph, are breaking the internet right now. Most All of the tweets in the #WreckItRalph2 on Twitter are about that scene (or the literal money shit where Disney shows all the IPs it owns).  On tumblr the gif set posts are already in the 30k to 100k, which is high for less than 24 hours. All the comments read as giddy, with very few complaints. Cinderella is getting the most attention. The most common refrain is:

Marvel/Disney: Avengers is the most ambitious crossover in film history.

WDAS: Hold our beer.

Greenlight Princess Academy, Disney. You love money. Do it!

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Well shit man, it's not like Star Wars is like all over the fucking internet for the last .......I dunno, twenty years or so? It's been DEAFENING since 2014.

The Emoji Movie had only one good scene, the Just Dance sequence. Emoji was just bad execution all over. 

But in Ralph, you see Amazon, Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook n shit, the first teaser showed clickbait ads. Also search engines and autofills. The Disney sequence isn't the entire movie, but it's also a recreation of what might be Disney's biggest website at the moment.

But, of course Disney advertising itself is bad because HRR DRRR DISNEY TOO POWERFUL.

There's an @ feature my dude. Again, quality is irrelevant. This and Emoji are the same concept, but one gets excused and the other beaten over the head - not because of quality but because of the team. You had people writing thinkpieces about how Emoji was a lowpoint of filmmaking, just because it was a movie featuring iphone apps. This is literally no different. And I already explained why I don't like what I saw, and I already called out Amazon and friends. Has nothing to do with DISNEY POWER, but yeah conveniently ignore it. Enjoy your 3D princesses and stormtroopers.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

There's an @ feature my dude. Again, quality is irrelevant. This and Emoji are the same concept, but one gets excused and the other beaten over the head - not because of quality but because of the team. You had people writing thinkpieces about how Emoji was a lowpoint of filmmaking, just because it was a movie featuring iphone apps. This is literally no different. And I already explained why I don't like what I saw, and I already called out Amazon and friends. Has nothing to do with DISNEY POWER, but yeah conveniently ignore it. Enjoy your 3D princesses and stormtroopers.

The mentality of some people here is hilarious.  "Oh it's Disney so there's no way it's bad!  oh look it's the thing I recognize!"  If this trailer were exactly the same but, say, it were being released by Paramount, you'd have pages of people shitting on it, saying how desperate it is, etc.

• Like 3

Gee, maybe people form those opinions because X studio consistently makes good to great movies and Y studio churns out shit?  That might be the reason, and the fact that Y studio actually does ridiculous product placement.  

Wreck It Ralph was filled with brand nostalgia.  It was based off classic video games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

20 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Yeah, Sony made Emoji Movie. But they also made Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Hotel Transylvania, two films that are for the most part at least liked. But Sony snatched up the rights to Emoji Movie in 2015 and crammed it out in two years. They could have made it good. The overall idea for the movie was not completely terrible. It could have actually worked. But there is no effort in the movie, outside of the animation. The jokes never really sticked, there were a few that may have gotten a mild chuckle, but most of the jokes were groan-inducing. The movie's biggest selling point, which made articles, was Patrick Stewart voicing Poop. That's the joke, at least to Sony, but to others it's like "Patrick Stewart, why? You were just in Logan. Why would you do it?" Clearly the reason was money but the sentiment still stands. The only scene that I remember is the Just Dance sequence for how mildly visually interesting it was. 

Then you have Ralph Breaks the Internet, which is released six years after the original. That's six years they spent coming up with the idea, and at some point, there's a part of me that's thinking some insider in Sony probably learned about how Disney was going to do Ralph 2 and tried to beat them to it. I mean, that's why we have Antz and Shark Tale from Dreamworks. 

So yeah, it really is the studio that have more people on Ralph's side than Emoji's. But after Tangled, Frozen, Zootopia, and Moana, people are at least expecting good things. And a trailer to a Disney animated movie these days never fully illustrate what the final product really is. Zootopia's never touched on its racial themes, Frozen never touched upon it's despression themes, Tangled looked like a parody of fairy tale movies, when in reality, it was a full blown old school Disney film from the 90s. Only Moana sorta advertised what the final product is like. So yeah, Disney's going to show all its pop culture references and themes in the trailers. Because they know that will get people into the movie. IT'S BUSINESS. They're in the business of making money. It's what's in the rest of the movie that matters. Shit, there was more to the first Wreck-it-Ralph than the trailers showed. The marketing for Ralph is almost exactly the same as it is for the sequel.

Are your opinions to the film founded. Yes, they're your opinions. You do seem to have your mind made up, no one can really change that, but think about it. What do you think more people will react to from a preview, Disney royalty or Patrick Stewart going "We're Number Two, We're number two" with toilet paper stuck to his leg. 

So, meh. Sony just made a bad movie, yet I liked the Hotel Transylvania films. At least they showed some creativity and energy.

Also, the quality is irrelevant? Jesus Christ. IT'S FUCKING EXECUTION

• Like 1

Didn't the mods literally had to lock a thread just recently because people kept crapping on a Disney film? Yeah people will give Disney Animation, Marvel and Pixar the benefit of the doubt because they've got a good track record recently. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

I have railed against Disney on here.  Called them fucking morons for not moving the Solo release date.  Chided them for how they treat the film market.  Rolled my eyes at their bullshit demands of theaters and their sky high licensing costs.  

With all that said, I am also insanely positive about them because in the last decade and especially the last 3 years they have pumped billions into theaters.  They have provided high quality product that is also extremely well reviewed.  They have had roughly 2 films in the last few years that lost money, and one of those films still made theaters a fuckload of money over what is usually a slow Memorial Day weekend.  They are the reason you see lots and lots of theaters expanding and upgrading everything from their seating to projection and other things to make the experience better.  

If anyone is seriously posting why people treat Disney, the most successful studio by a wide margin, one way and struggling bomb factories like Sony and Paramount another way you don't really deserve to be listened to.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Gee, maybe people form those opinions because X studio consistently makes good to great movies and Y studio churns out shit?  That might be the reason, and the fact that Y studio actually does ridiculous product placement.  

Wreck It Ralph was filled with brand nostalgia.  It was based off classic video games. 

Ralph 1 filled with classic brands? I don't know, gee, maybe because he was a supposed to be a classic video game character?... Having Qbert, Bowser, Pacman ghost, and Eggman made sense. The villain group therapy wasn't seen as a ploy to sell Sonic, Mario, and Pacman games, it was a legit humorous attempt to showcase Ralph's character.

But you, @Yandereprime101189and basically everyone else, has failed to provide a reasoning on why the Princessess, Star Wars, Marvel, Mupppets, and everything Disney is in this movie. Sure, since this is a movie about the web, maybe it makes sense to flash Amazon, the tweeting birds, and Ebay - they're real world internet. But you still haven't told me how the princesses add anything to the *internet* concept. All I've heard is "Ralph will be good, Emoji was ass, that's all that matters." Who cares if Emoji was ass, if this a movie about the traveling into the internet, why did this trailer replace the (clever) clickbait gag with a princess sleepover gag? What does any of that have to do with the concept of this movie: going inside the internet?

But lemme guess: doesn't matter, Emoji sucked, this will be good, audiences don't care, you hate Disney.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

Trailer was great. So excited to see this. WIR is my favorite from the current Disney era.

Are the people complaining about the "lack of plot" the same ones that complain about trailers giving everything away? Like make up your mind. 

And, if you guys think this is somehow Disney's (IPs) victory lap, I strongly suggest to move out to a jungle before 2019 starts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

But you, and basically everyone else, has failed to provide a reasoning on why the Princessess, Star Wars, Marvel, Mupppets, and everything Disney is in this movie. 

Hmmmm

Wonder if if has anything to do with this logo playing in front of the film.

The answer, and the only true answer is 

WHY NOT do it in a 10 minute scene in an otherwise 90-100 minute animated movie.

It's not like the click bait sequence is going to be cut out of the movie. 

If you really want to get in the nitty gritty. It's a Disney movie. It's for people who like or love Disney movies. People who like or love Disney movies sometimes do go on Disney internet searching sprees of everything Disney, be it Marvel, Star Wars, Princesses, etc, etc, etc. 

So Disney is, hey, put that in this movie. Because once the trailer is released it will go viral and EVERYONE will be talking about that one scene. .......which coincidentially, is actually happening as we speak. From the trailer reactions going crazy, to twitter going wild. 

Disney knows exactly what it's doing. Yes, it's shameless self-promotion, but in the end of the day, only internet forum users will give a shit. Because Disney knows people and families won't care about one grown adult's opinion on the morals of why they are doing this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Ralph 1 filled with classic brands? I don't know, gee, maybe because he was a supposed to be a classic video game character?... Having Qbert, Bowser, Pacman ghost, and Eggman made sense. The villain group therapy wasn't seen as a ploy to sell Sonic, Mario, and Pacman games, it was a legit humorous attempt to showcase Ralph's character.

But you, and basically everyone else, has failed to provide a reasoning on why the Princessess, Star Wars, Marvel, Mupppets, and everything Disney is in this movie. Sure, since this is a movie about the web, maybe it makes sense to flash Amazon, the tweeting birds, and Ebay - they're real world internet. But you still haven't told me how the princesses add anything to the *internet* concept. All I've heard is "Ralph will be good, Emoji was ass, that's all that matters." Who cares if Emoji was ass, if this a movie about the traveling into the internet, why did this trailer replace the (clever) clickbait gag with a princess sleepover gag? What does any of that have to do with the concept of this movie: going inside the internet?

But lemme guess: doesn't matter, Emoji sucked, this will be good, audiences don't care. Alrighttty.

Gee, I don't know, maybe because the movie doesn't fucking come out for another 6 months?

I can discern from the dialogue and general theme of what I have watched so far that the point of including all of it will carry a larger message.  The same way that you could tell Spielberg was using nostalgia to tell people to stop being nostalgic and get the fuck outside and live in the moment and talk to people.  

Now if I had simply watched the trailers with a negative eye, then I would have been convinced like a lot of people were that Ready Player One was a giant advertisement and it was terrible and would lose millions.  Turns out there was something larger being said the movie actually made $600m and millions and millions of profit for the studio.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1