Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

18 minutes ago, The Pandaren said:

Please stop acting like Cinemascore is an indicator for legs.  I've literally scatter plotted hundreds of movies from the last few years and found no correlation of a high Cinemascore to a high multiplier.

Cinemascore is a useless tool when talking about box office.

I think the extremes are true though 

I can't help but think The BFG would have fared better in the holidays rather than summer. Good thing Disney are only distributing and contributing a small part of the budget. OS is tricky because Disney isn't handling it apart from one or two territories as DreamWorks sold the OS rights so it's probably made its budget back from those OS territories but it won't be profitable 

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Not really.  Even As and A+s didn't necessarily correlate to a good multiplier (same with grades that were Bs and below)

10 minutes ago, The Pandaren said:

Not really.  Even As and A+s didn't necessarily correlate to a good multiplier (same with grades that were Bs and below)

Still a correlation just not a direct correlation. 

19 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yea, because CoS being the only HP film to get an A+ clearly shows it's the most popular film in the series, right?

Glad Tarzan is breaking out. Seems it went from estimates of $8 to $14 with a blink. Felt I was the only one sticking up for and trying to give it a chance.

Nice to see the naysayvers doing 180s now, per usual. 

• Like 1

I think Disney just didn't know what to do with The BFG and only agreed to make it because of Spielberg (back before he decided not to renew the DreamWorks deal with them). The marketing had a total lack of clarity to it, and the decision to place it just two weeks after Finding Dory was a sign that they weren't really sure of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Glad Tarzan is breaking out. Seems it went from estimates of $8 to $14 with a blink. Felt I was the only one sticking up for and trying to give it a chance.

Does flopping a bit less than expected constitute as breaking out now?

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, jandrew said:

It hasn't really "broken out", though. It's just gonna end up as less of a financial disaster than originally expected. Overseas is its only hope of not being a significant write-off for the studio.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

People are focused on the expectations rather than the budget.

Which is typical, look at AOU.

9 minutes ago, cookie said:

Does flopping a bit less than expected constitute as breaking out now?

Like 80%+ of all movies, Tarzan was never going to break even theatrically.

Its breaking out in terms of weekend expectations, and I'm glad because the weekend is what everyone wanted to write off.

The film, which concerns an anti-Purge presidential candidate targeted for assassination on Purge Night, earned the aforementioned $14.469m opening day, compared to $16.7m for The Purge and $13m for The Purge: Anarchy (the sequel opened smaller but grossed more, another rarity in horror).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It hasn't really "broken out", though. It's just gonna end up as less of a financial disaster than originally expected. Overseas is its only hope of not being a significant write-off for the studio.

See my previous post. I dont really care about the long term. 

22 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Not really a breakout given the budget but definitely outperforming forecasts. I knew that BO.com projection was junk from the moment I saw it but it seems like everything trended that way. Glad to see it outperforming those expectations even though WB is still going to lose money on it.