Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

17 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

Don't worry, people here will be more than happy to tell you how much they think they know. :ph34r::lol: 

Oh yea...lol...we all know everything here......for example....I knew that IDR would finish first for the summer......what's that.....it did what....how much.....FAAAAAAAAAACKKKK....

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

I really don't think that makes much sense. You don't just throw away a relationship with arguably the most powerful creative man in Hollywood. It also doesn't really sound like Alan Horn's style.

Unless the partnership between them wasn't exactly a fortuitous one (which it wasn't, the partnership mostly produced flops). Now Spielberg as back at home where he's arguably had his most success.

7 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

On BFG, do people have such short memories? Remember when Neighbors 2 had 1.67 Thursday numbers and Angry Birds has 800k? Then Angry Birds won the weekend over both Cap 3 and Neighbors 2? It did 38 million to N2's 22 million when all was said and done. Angry Birds also passed 100 million eventually w/ Neighbors 2 barely getting passed 50.

On Pulse right now

1. Dory

2. BFG

3. Tarzan

4. Purge

5. Dory 3D

BFG still has a lot of time to do its thing...

Plus, it was good. BFG was a little slow-moving, though, so not sure if WOM will be all that hot.

For me, the biggest surprise of the summer has been that Angry Birds actually turned out to be pretty good.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Was he ever a guaranteed draw? I mean '1941' happened in the middle of his imperial phase.

Are you serious?  He was the biggest draw in the world for a period of about 15 years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Can't you row back to the shore?

Haha no it's a... much bigger boat. Our car was on the lower levels and I couldn't get any service anywhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Haha no it's a... much bigger boat. Our car was on the lower levels and I couldn't get any service anywhere.

So....you needed a bigger boat?  :lol:

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Are you serious?  He was the biggest draw in the world for a period of about 15 years.

Sure. But 1941 still came out during that period and it bombed. I liked it, but apparently I was the only one.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Unless the partnership between them wasn't exactly a fortuitous one (which it wasn't, the partnership mostly produced flops).

Sure, but that doesn't mean you vindictively lash out in a way that might earn his ire (and enmity).

Plus, they're presumably interested in keeping a decent relationship with Walden Media. 

• Like 1

Oh, so The Purge Anarchy got a rerelease?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4202&p=.htm

Just a typo, he meant the third film's preview was $3.6m. If you click the first Anarchy link it goes to the Purge Election Year page.

Edited by Mojoguy

1 minute ago, Wrath said:

Sure. But 1941 still came out during that period and it bombed. I liked it, but apparently I was the only one.

Right.  Because everyone has a perfect track record.  Right?

But no other director, including Nolan and Cameron had a period like Spielberg when he did JAWS, Close Encounters, Raiders and ET.  Then add in Color Purple and Temple and Crusade, it's a period that will never be matched imo.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely surprised by just how quietly The BFG has entered the marketplace. You would think that a Steven Spielberg adaptation of a Roald Dahl book with the distribution of Disney would be getting much, much more attention that it actually is.

That Purge number is pretty good. I could be speaking too soon, but I guess the year off didn't make a difference after all.

• Like 1

On BFG, Disney has already spent 20 million on commercial ads as of Tuesday. Last week, BFG came in 3rd w/ around 5 million spent. That's the most spent last week on a movie opening this weekend. BFG is not being trashed, and I think it will surprise people. At least, imo, it can come in ahead of Alice.

Btw, Pets and IDR are almost at 30 million on commercial ads. I'm pretty sure Universal and Fox want to hit big with those.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

Sure, but that doesn't mean you vindictively lash out in a way that might earn his ire (and enmity).

Plus, they're presumably interested in keeping a decent relationship with Walden Media. 

With the way Disney is going these days, they probably don't need DreamWorks anyway. I imagine his return to Universal will produce stronger results anyway.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

With the way Disney is going these days, they probably don't need DreamWorks anyway. I imagine his return to Universal will produce stronger results anyway.

I agree, I just don't think they're dumping it to gain some measure of revenge. 

The three new movies might have the exact same numbers when the weekend is done

Purge 3: ~30-40 million and a major win for Universal because of the low budget

BFG: ~30-40 million and despite the 140 million budget, very little will be said cuz Disney

Tarzan: ~30-40 million and due to the 180 million budget, the sky will fall for WB

The three new movies might have the exact same numbers when the weekend is done

Purge 3: ~30-40 million and a major win for Universal because of the low budget
BFG: ~30-40 million and despite the 140 million budget, very little will be said cuz Disney
Tarzan: ~30-40 million and due to the 180 million budget, the sky will fall for WB

10m budget for Purge. It needs to be said again.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2