Neo

Death Wish | March 2 2018 | Eli Roth directing

Just like I said, basically most of the negative reviews mock it because it's politically incorrect, not because of the actual quality. The same "critics" who gave positive reviews to Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters because of politics, not their quality. I think people should decide themselves if they want to see it and don't rely on critics' opinion, especially in these cases.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Basically all negative reviews mock it because it's not politically correct. Just like I said, "critics" hate it because of politics, not quality. The same "critics" who gave positive reviews to Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters because of politics, not quality. Basically all negative reviews mock it because it's not politically correct.

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

The truth hurts, huh? And I fixed my post, there were some issues with mobile input, which lead to double senteces.

So because you didn’t like Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters, it’s critics just wanting to be politically correct. Besides it’s not like Ghsotbusters was acclaimed, a more positive leaning reception yes but not some critical darling.

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

So because you didn’t like Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters, it’s critics just wanting to be politically correct. Besides it’s not like Ghsotbusters was acclaimed, a more positive leaning reception yes but not some critical darling.

Ghostbusters has really low score on Imdb and other user sites, moviegoers pretty much hated it and there's a good reason why. Most of the positive critics' reviews praise Wonder Woman because of politics, they barely mention its quality, which says a lot.

• Like 1

Just now, Firepower said:

Ghostbusters has really low score on Imdb and other user sites, moviegoers pretty much hated it and there's a good reason why. Most of the positive critics' reviews praise Wonder Woman because of politics, they barely mention its quality, which says a lot.

A lot of the Ghostbuster reviews came from people upset over the all female cast. I personally thought it was an average comedy. As for Wonder Woman plenty of reviews mentioned the storytelling and fight sequences (stance the finale). I haven’t seen Death Wish but I’m sure it’s a worse film than Wonder Woman. Politics have nothing to do with it. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

A lot of the Ghostbuster reviews came from people upset over the all female cast. I personally thought it was an average comedy. As for Wonder Woman plenty of reviews mentioned the storytelling and fight sequences (stance the finale). I haven’t seen Death Wish but I’m sure it’s a worse film than Wonder Woman. Politics have nothing to do with it. 

And there were a lot of people who hated Ghostbasters because of its quality, no way it would get positive critics' reviews with male cast and the same quality. I mean Wonder Woman had Asylum-level third act, questionable perfomance from Gadot, terrible villians and visual effects, and some Batman and Robin level dialogues, you can't ignore this shit if you're "professional critic" and praise it solely because of politics, but they actually did it, so they are completely incompetent and biased. I don't think Death Wish is a very good movie, but I really doubt it's that bad. Most of the critics' reviews of it I've come across barely mention plot, characters, action or overall quality, the whole reviews were all about how much they hated it because it's Pro-Trump and politically incorrect, which screams "biased", so I wouldn't rely on these opinions.

Edited by Firepower

I'll admit that politics probably do definitely have an influence on some critics. But no more than pay-outs. If those even exist to the extent some people think they do. Sure, a few critics probably get swayed here and there but the majority stick to their principles (as critics, not as lobbyists of a certain political stance).

Ghostbusters was a decent movie. Hence it got a decent score. Some critics may have been swayed, same with internet trolls. I work at a theatre, and I used to usher a lot more back then and the only time I heard people complaining about Ghostbusters was when they complained about the women.

Wonder Woman was a great movie, hence the great score.

Death Wish was probably always a mediocre movie. Not saying it's a steaming pile of trash, but it probably wasn't great to begin with. The timing doesn't help a lot of critic's opinions for sure, but it's not like the movie knew this incident was going to happen when they started filming it over a year ago

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

Just like I said, basically most of the negative reviews mock it because it's politically incorrect, not because of the actual quality. The same "critics" who gave positive reviews to Wonder Woman and Ghostbusters because of politics, not their quality. I think people should decide themselves if they want to see it and don't rely on critics' opinion, especially in these cases.

Image result for you poor thing gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I haven`t read more than a few reviews and I can`t judge if they just don`t like this type of film or if e.g. Bruce Willis indeed doesn`t give his best performance...

What gives me back some hope is the so far (I know it`s very early) pretty good audience score from RT: 77% and 4.1/5. On imdb it`s similar: The reliable sounding user reviews (I mean that ones that don`t only contain two sentences of the summary) are mostly good. Let`s see - maybe that continues :).

PS: Ghostbusters wasn`t a decent movie but of course that`s only my opinion.

Edited by el sid

Eli Roth’s Death Wish isn’t a bad movie as far as super-violent exploitation flicks go. But it is a deeply problematic one. And that problem boils down to this: It’s the absolute wrong movie at the absolute wrong time.

The core of the "reviews" of "professional critics". There's also IGN review of Red Sparrow with 2.5/10 mark because IGN's critic doesn't like brutal and disturbing movies, lol. I really think people should actually read reviews, not just marks/RT percent, because of shit like that.

Edited by Firepower

15 minutes ago, aabattery said:

People should read reviews regardless. It's nigh impossible to properly critique something with just a number.

Agree here.

16 minutes ago, aabattery said:

That being said, not really seeing an issue with that review.

I mean if "professional critic" puts politics of the movie far above its quality, that's an issue. And there are many reviews like that, like they totally forgot what their job is.

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I mean if "professional critic" puts politics of the movie far above its quality, that's an issue. And there are many reviews like that, like they totally forgot what their job is.

Politics are a big part of our society. Perfectly fine for a critic to view films through that kind of lens. I don't see why movies should only be viewed in a complete vacuum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Firepower said:

7 hours ago, Firepower said:

And there were a lot of people who hated Ghostbasters because of its quality, no way it would get positive critics' reviews with male cast and the same quality. I mean Wonder Woman had Asylum-level third act, questionable perfomance from Gadot, terrible villians and visual effects, and some Batman and Robin level dialogues, you can't ignore this shit if you're "professional critic" and praise it solely because of politics, but they actually did it, so they are completely incompetent and biased. I don't think Death Wish is a very good movie, but I really doubt it's that bad. Most of the critics' reviews of it I've come across barely mention plot, characters, action or overall quality, the whole reviews were all about how much they hated it because it's Pro-Trump and politically incorrect, which screams "biased", so I wouldn't rely on these opinions.

It's quite clear who's the one with an agenda here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Politics are a big part of our society. Perfectly fine for a critic to view films through that kind of lens. I don't see why movies should only be viewed in a complete vacuum.

It's unprofessional to say the least. If you want to tell about your politic views, go on twitter/facebook. If your job is to review the movie, then please, do your job and review the movie, not spending 3/4 of the "review" whining about your politic views and how much the movie doesn't fit them, it's just totally wrong and incompetent.

14 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It's quite clear who's the one with an agenda here.

And what's wrong with that post? Both movies were pushed because of their political agenda, one of them was better in terms of quality, so some people liked it, the other one was terrible, so they hated it. It's quite obvious.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's unprofessional to say the least. If you want to tell about your politic views, go on twitter/facebook. If your job is to review the movie, then please, do your job and review the movie, not spending 3/4 of the "review" whining about your politic views and how much the movie doesn't fit them, it's just totally wrong and incompetent.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I disagree. Unless you want film reviews to simply describe the technical aspects of the cinematography or some shit, you're gonna have to deal with peoples emotional responses to these movies. And it's pretty natural for politics to seep into that.

If a reviewers political leanings bother you, go find another one. There's plenty to choose from. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, aabattery said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I disagree. Unless you want film reviews to simply describe the technical aspects of the cinematography or some shit, you're gonna have to deal with peoples emotional responses to these movies. And it's pretty natural for politics to seep into that.

If a reviewers political leanings bother you, go find another one. There's plenty to choose from. 

That's the problem, I don't care about politics at all, when I read a review of the movie from "professional critic", I want to find out what they think about screenplay, direction, actor perfomances, music, editing etc, not what they think about its politics. It's okay to touch politics in movie review, but it's not okay to waste 3/4 of "movie review" on it, barely mentioning the movie itself. It's not a movie review then, if it barely mentions the movie itself, it's just political article, disguised as a movie review. And there are too many critics like that nowadays, so it's hard to find competent one in this bunch.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 4