Neo

Death Wish | March 2 2018 | Eli Roth directing

I'm being honest, I can't wait for this movie. I've always liked the series ( except for Death Wish 5 which was terrible ). I like this kind of dumb movies. I mean, I used to watch a lot of revenge action movies with Dolph Lundgren, Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris, Gary Daniels.

This seems to be a better Die Hard than the last 2 Die Hards made by Willis. It also seems better than the Die Hard Day One or whatever that crap is called, that they want to do.

Willis is no Bronson, and the plot is entirely different, but people should not take this movie seriously. It's just another revenge action movie. 

I just gave a look at some reviews on RT and this one is hilarious ( I can't believe this was written by a critic ):

"Death Wish is an NRA member's wet dream, a perfect film for the America that only exists in the poisoned imagination of the pathetic would-be bully in the White House."

This is a movie, and it's not a "dream". There's no "right time" to release a movie, either. It's just a dumb movie and it seems people are giving it more relevance than necessary.

I don't want to go there, but I'm somehow curious. I'm really curious. I also know this is dark territory, but so be it. Replace Willis with a black actor and replace the bad guys with only white racist dudes ( all of them have to be white, by the way. ) and let's change revenge for racism. So, racism is the reason the black character is targetting the white guys. Keep everything else ( guns, violence and so on ).  Will the critics react the same way?  I don't know, but a different reaction would really show some true colors.

That being said, this is just a movie. I'll be watching it on May, just expecting it to be another dumb action revenge movie. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I don't want to go there, but I'm somehow curious. I'm really curious. I also know this is dark territory, but so be it. Replace Willis with a black actor and replace the bad guys with only white racist dudes ( all of them have to be white, by the way. ) and let's change revenge for racism. So, racism is the reason the black character is targetting the white guys. Keep everything else ( guns, violence and so on ).  Will the critics react the same way?  I don't know, but a different reaction would really show some true colors.

From your description The Equalizer comes to mind, minus racism themes. It had Denzel Washington against white dudes with vigilantie theme, but critics liked it, so maybe it has something to do with it. But I thought The Equalizer was really good and I haven't seen Death Wish yet to compare them, but they do sound similar.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

From your description The Equalizer comes to mind, minus racism themes. It had Denzel Washington against white dudes with vigilantie theme, but critics liked it, so maybe it has something to do with it. But I thought The Equalizer was really good and I haven't seen Death Wish yet to compare them.

I agree. I really liked The Equalizer, though it wasn't loved by critics. At one point the movie was rotten, but got to the 60% Tomatometer. Then again, the bad guys were russians. I think there was a time when several action movies had russian villains ( John Wick 1 comes to my mind ).

His best one is Man on Fire.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

That being said, this is just a movie. I'll be watching it on May, just expecting it to be another dumb action revenge movie. 

Which is why the reviews were always going to be shit anyway, just like most of Bruce Willis' movies for the past decade, sadly. RED 2, in 2013, was the last fun film I remember him making. Looper in 2012 was the last genuinely good one.

Did people expect anything different from this one's RT?

I'll end up watching this one on Netflix or something eventually but eh, I gotta confess I might get a bit bothered by many aspects of it if what some of the reviews are saying is true. This just isn't the 80's anymore, the world has moved on from some of that stuff.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Which is why the reviews were always going to be shit anyway, just like most of Bruce Willis' movies for the past decade, sadly. RED 2, in 2013, was the last fun film I remember him making. Looper in 2012 was the last genuinely good one.

Did people expect anything different from this one's RT?

I'll end up watching this one on Netflix or something eventually but eh, I gotta confess I might get a bit bothered by many aspects of it if what some of the reviews are saying is true. This just isn't the 80's anymore, the world has moved on from some of that stuff.

I like Willis, but it seems he has gone full Steven Seagal route on dvd...

This Death Wish seems to be better than most of Willis latest efforts. That's why I'm going to watch it as soon as it gets released. XD

Like I said, this seems to be a dumb revenge movie. Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

Western and american elites are doing their best to offer to the Donald a second term on a silver platter.

He won't have to put much of an effort, these dumb people are doing the heavy lifting for him.

With today being a tough time where America is on the fence on reforming gun control, this was not a good time for this remake to be released at all.  The subtext messages in Roth's "Death Wish" are the equivalent of the Daily Bugle going, “Is Spider-Man a menace?” 

It would’ve been more beneficial if Roth’s “Death Wish,” remake kept its original date of November of 2017 because um this one-note revenge action thriller that desperately wants to make a stance on gun control is not helping anyone right now. Just not now guys.

FULL REVIEW HERE: https://rendyreviews.com/movies//death-wish-review

Edited by rjones1325

Grade: A-

Got to see this today and I really enjoyed it. My matinee was in a 400 seater and was probably about 1/4 full at the 1:30pm showing.I can't say that I've ever seen any of the originals all the way through. I must've come across them a few times on USA Network back in the 90s but never saw a beginning or end that I can recall.

I feel it was one of the more lively, engaged in the process acting efforts that Willis has given in a few years. 

Without a solid comparison or contrast to draw on from the originals I'll say it felt a bit like Taken with a hint of Equalizer in this incarnation. A few shots at pro-gun advocates was made but it was fairly tame and didn't distract from the film. I think the originals were in NYC but the setting here is Chicago because it is the new murder capital of America.

Film is set up for a sequel. If it doesn't follow up on it, no loss.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Grade: A-

Got to see this today and I really enjoyed it. My matinee was in a 400 seater and was probably about 1/4 full at the 1:30pm showing.I can't say that I've ever seen any of the originals all the way through. I must've come across them a few times on USA Network back in the 90s but never saw a beginning or end that I can recall.

I feel it was one of the more lively, engaged in the process acting efforts that Willis has given in a few years. 

Without a solid comparison or contrast to draw on from the originals I'll say it felt a bit like Taken with a hint of Equalizer in this incarnation. A few shots at pro-gun advocates was made but it was fairly tame and didn't distract from the film. I think the originals were in NYC but the setting here is Chicago because it is the new murder capital of America.

Film is set up for a sequel. If it doesn't follow up on it, no loss.

Chicago is not even in the top twenty, but statements such as yours happen when people rely on terrible narrative fiction movies as being informative. 

20 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Chicago is not even in the top twenty, but statements such as yours happen when people rely on terrible narrative fiction movies as being informative. 

I give the election of Donald Trump as a perfect example of what you are talking about.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, The Futurist said:

Western and american elites are doing their best to offer to the Donald a second term on a silver platter.

He won't have to put much of an effort, these dumb people are doing the heavy lifting for him.

This movie looks like shit, and I hate Trump as much as anybody, but I don't like conspiracy theory nonsense from the left anymore then I do from the right.

• Like 1

lmao...so this died.  But saw it tonight because I wanted to see a movie and either a) I've seen everything I wanted to or B )  I just couldn't drag myself through a wrinkle in time.  It is what everyone prob thought.  But I don't mind watching a decently made revenge movie.  It did its job...it won't be memorable, but I was entertained.  Bruce had some good kills, and it's always good to see bruce have some kills.    7.5/10.  

• Like 2

I saw it a couple of days ago. I was generally entertained. 

I kind of laughed at the beginning when they bring in the cop and Bruce walks in the trauma room, feels his pulse and says, that’s it he’s gone, call it, then tells the other cop that they did everything they could. LOL!! They didn’t do anything!! Working in a hospital, I’ve seen plenty of traumas. That scene wasn’t even close to reality. 

Other than that, it was fine. Couple of nice kills and Bruce looked like he was at least partially engaged in what was happening. 

B

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1