WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

3 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

A few comments about the RT scores issue:

- They are not so reliable because they also include the want to see index and they count them as votes so don't read into them so much

- Minions had a 49% audience score (pretty bad) yet did a 2.9x multi. 

- Peanurs had a 77% audience score (good) but also did a 2.9x multi. (and grossed less than expected)

- Angry birds had a 51% audience score and also did 2.8-2.9x multi.

- HTYD2 had a 90% audience score and ended up a bit below expectations

So I don't think we should read into it that much into that when it comes to animated films because kids don't vote on these.

I mean, those aren't strong multis for animated movies. The majority hit 3x.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Yeah. IM3 had a +10% bump on Sat and -48% hold on Sun.

I hoping that on Sat and Sun CW will do better than +10%/-48% and match IM3 again.

But yes, right now gut says CW looking at 408.1-408.6m, 0.5-1m behind IM3. I am hopeful that at 408m+ Disney will wanna push it.

IM3 comparative weekend was over 4th of July hence the terrible 2.68 w/e multiplier.    IM3 still has an advantage in theater count though the gap has closed significantly.  CW's PTA has been rising over the last 3 weeks with screen loss and might do so again or stay stable and if it does it will have a bigger 10th w/e than IM3

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

A few comments about the RT scores issue:

- They are not so reliable because they also include the want to see index and they count them as votes so don't read into them so much

- Minions had a 49% audience score (pretty bad) yet did a 2.9x multi. 

- Peanurs had a 77% audience score (good) but also did a 2.9x multi. (and grossed less than expected)

- Angry birds had a 51% audience score and also did 2.8-2.9x multi.

- HTYD2 had a 90% audience score and ended up a bit below expectations

So I don't think we should read into it that much into that when it comes to animated films because kids don't vote on these.

Also worth noting is that pre-release reviews tend to be more positive than reviews that come out on Friday or over the weekend, so Pets' RT% has probably already seen its peak.

2 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Also worth noting is that pre-release reviews tend to be more positive than reviews that come out on Friday or over the weekend, so Pets' RT% has probably already seen its peak.

Didn't Tarzan's RT audience score increase after OD?

2 minutes ago, Wrath said:

I think it will end up between 70 and 75. 

It may be certified fresh because it's hit 100 reviews.

49 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Trolls looks like a flop to me. Not really sure about Stork's though.

Until I saw the poster in theater lobby coming out of Tarzan this past Monday I had no idea this movie was a thing. Not sure how I missed news about it. 

I need to dig up the trailer. It needs to impress me cause I did one of these :rolleyes:  looking at the poster. My wife was all, "isn't this film 20yrs too late?"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Until I saw the poster in theater lobby coming out of Tarzan this past Monday I had no idea this movie was a thing. Not sure how I missed news about it. 

I need to dig up the trailer. It needs to impress me cause I did one of these :rolleyes:  looking at the poster. My wife was all, "isn't this film 20yrs too late?"

20 years too late? Unless you're talking about Independence Day 2, I don't get what you're talking about.

• Like 1

PETS previews started at 6pm in 3000+ theaters. With online booking growing incrementally, previews starting early and schools being shut enabling people take advantage of the previews, won't be surprised to still see a sub-80m weekend.

15 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

I think it will end up between 70 and 75. 

It may be certified fresh because it's hit 100 reviews.

Yeah, I don't really disagree. I might lower the lower bound slightly, say 68-75, but that's a quibble. Fresh is over 60% of course, so it'd be a shocker if it doesn't come in as "fresh". And I also agree with your point that for kids stuff and animated stuff, critical consensus doesn't have a big impact as long as it can be loosely labeled as "not bad". If its great or god-awful, that's one thing, but almost anywhere in between the extremes the critical reviews matter less than buzz and some sort of "crowd-pleasingness".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

20 years too late? Unless you're talking about Independence Day 2, I don't get what you're talking about.

Troll doll (toy), created overseas 1959, but didn't really catch on in America till the 80's, that was the dolls last big popularity hold. A few resurgences haven't taken on. So had this come out mid/late 90's it could've capitalized on those who grew up with Troll Doll toys. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Troll doll (toy), created overseas 1959, but didn't really catch on in America till the 80's, that was the dolls last big popularity hold. A few resurgences haven't taken on. So had this come out mid/late 90's it could've capitalized on those who grew up with Troll Doll toys. 

Oh, OK. I wasn't sure if you were talking abut Trolls or Storks.

SLOP isn't terrible. Max and Duke are both kind of asshats and not very likable. Gidget is the only character that really stands out from the pack, film might have been better if it was more centered around her. Very rushed. Its at its best when its batshit off the walls absurd