WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Solid weekend at the box office once again for the month of July!     The Secret Life Of Pets broke the record for the debut of an original animated film, and is Universal's animated company Illumination Entertainment's second best debut behind last year's Minions! Pets should hold up strong with families despite Ice Age 5 and Pete's Dragon are coming out in the next few weeks, and should end its run around $260 million domestic.             In a tight race with Dory for second place, The Legend Of Tarzan had an alright hold after the holiday weekend although it's not doing well enough overseas it's not that big for Warner Bros but hopefully with some more international markets it helps it out a little bit. A total around $120 million domestic seems likely.                                      With family competition, Finding Dory wasn't too far from second place. Finding Dory should end its run around $485 million domestic.         Funny R-rated comedy, Mike & Dave:Need Wedding Dates got off to a decent start with an estimated $16.6 million that debut is better Zac Efron/Aubrey Plaza's other comedy together Dirty Grandpa from back in January, and is ahead of other related comedies such as Vacation, and Sex Tape. But less than Let's Be Cops, and Neighbors 2. A total around $50 million seems likely considering that there aren't any R-rated comedies in the marketplace until Bad Moms.

• Like 2

Life. Of. Pets :mouthdropped:  Maybe Kevin Hart should of been in "ID:R", lol.    Also let's be fair, Illumantion has been kicking butt with DM franchise along with Minons spin off.   "Hop" was really the only soft performer and that didn't do to bad.  "Lorax" did pretty well too.  So to me they are on a great track with this now.    How in the world are people tribal with animated films?  I honestly watched every studio growing up as long as the cartoon was good.   Also Pixar is Legendary but they aren't the end all be all and aren't perfect.   Let's give credit were credit is due.  This is an amazing number and completely outshinning popular franchises with built in fanbases.  

Edited by filmscholar

Illumination's only real flop was Hop but that was a hybrid. The Lorax while hugely successful domestically, it flopped OS.

I don't expect every Illumination film to hit huge grosses because that's unrealistic, I imagine Grinch will be successful domestically but not so much OS because Dr Seuss isn't popular OS and Sing I think won't be as big as Pets but it'll still be a solid hit unless reviews are horrid

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

The hate Illumination gets is just sad. Fucking sad. God forbid any company not from Disney is successful. 

Always think this is funny because I clearly root for films not from Disney all the time and actively root against a couple of Disney's films as well. Illumination's style of movie rubs me the wrong way; SLOP divorcing itself in a lot of ways from their house style is what made it good to me. 

2 hours ago, Spaghetti said:

Back on the BOM boards, Despicable Me had a lot of support (I know even DM2 did on here), to the point where I think most disdain for Illumination comes from relentless repetition within marketing circles, (and really really stupid facebook posts with Minions in them) kind of like how Frozen got a great deal of backlash from its insane popularity in the months after its peak.

Illumination is so not the worst studio out there, their only real screw-up was their atrocious Lorax film. They can be obnoxious at time, but usually they're simply fun, if a bit disposable, afternoon times.

Ehhh, speak for yourself. Although I'd agree they're not the worst studio out there, they're easily the worst of the more high profile ones (Illumination, Pixar, WDAS, DreamWorks, Blue Sky, and Sony are with them). Besides SLOP, I honestly find all of their films atrocious, obnoxious, and outright awful. Didn't have fun at any of their stuff besides SLOP. That said, respect your and everyone else who likes them opinion, but yeah, they're not for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Illumination's only real flop was Hop but that was a hybrid. The Lorax while hugely successful domestically, it flopped OS.

I don't expect every Illumination film to hit huge grosses because that's unrealistic, I imagine Grinch will be successful domestically but not so much OS because Dr Seuss isn't popular OS and Sing I think won't be as big as Pets but it'll still be a solid hit unless reviews are horrid

Neither Hop or the Lorax were "flops," word is way overused around here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Neither Hop or the Lorax were "flops," word is way overused around here.

Like I mentioned earlier, Lorax came 200k shy of breaking the original animated OW record at the time. But sure, it was a flop! :lol:

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Frozen though?  People complain about the lack of interesting characters or a compelling story.  Frozen tells the same story that every Disney animated feature has told before it. It's the same princess/Mr. Right story that they've always told. It's the same love ballads. It's fine for a new generation to experience that on the big screen but for people like myself who have been there and done that, I'm not going to pretend we are seeing something new there.

One reason I enjoy Frozen so much is the subversion it does on that. What looks like the same old love story turns out to be a sociopathic usurper taking advantage of a naive (realistic for the period) princess for geopolitical gain. I'd say that's pretty new for Disney. As well the key character of the film has no romantic subplot whatsoever and yet I would call her the most compelling character Disney has put out this decade.

On the other hand, I have your complaints for Tangled and the Anna/Kristoff kiss at the end is kind of a shot in the foot.

Edited by ChiSoxRox
  • Like 2

Illumination has nice advertising. Their films are strictly mediocre, though. They're basically making Blue Sky movies in terms of budget and blandness but doing old DWA numbers with them. Impressive, business-wise, but not really encouraging to watch.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Like I mentioned earlier, Lorax came 200k shy of breaking the original animated OW record at the time. But sure, it was a flop! :lol:

The Lorax was based on a book. Not what we think of when we say "original".

Illumination's first 5 (animated) movies vs Pixar's first 5 movies, adjusted highest to lowest:

Finding Nemo - $483m vs Despicable Me 2 - $402m

Toy Story 2 - $410 vs The Secret Life of Pets (more than likely) - $340-375m

Monsters Inc - $386m vs Minions - $349m

Toy Story - $376m vs Despicable Me - $280m

A Bug's Life - $292m vs The Lorax - $231m

Pixar clearly wins, however Illumination has kept up with them extremely impressively so far. Especially considering none of their films had the adoration and accolades of all of those Pixar films. Two of them didn't even get good reviews at all. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Guys, you know @Telemachos is about to die from old age soon, right? His ghost is about to do some real haunting cause he won't be fucking around in the afterlife.

NEVAH

14 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Tele Jr inherits his account but has much better taste & wit. It will all work out.

Get ready for a stream of pro-robot and pro-giant propaganda. :lol:

• Like 2