WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

It's not an old grumpy man thing, this summer has been considerably worse than the past summers. Everything is so visioneless, manufactured and calculated. It's hell for those who really like movies. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Goffe said:

It's not an old grumpy man thing, this summer has been considerably worse than the past summers. Everything is so visioneless, manufactured and calculated. It's hell for those who really like movies. 

Right, because who can forget the wonders of Summer 2014.  

Or the magic of July 2013 when such awesome movies like The Lone Ranger, Grown Ups 2, Pacific Rim, RIPD, Red 2 and Turbo were incredible blockbusters.  

Your memory is being selective.  

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 16

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Or the magic of July 2013 when such awesome movies like The Lone Ranger, Grown Ups 2, Pacific Rim, RIPD, Red 2 and Turbo were incredible blockbusters.  

Those movies were so unmemorable that everyone can complain about Hollywood anew every July.

Edited by cannastop

10 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I mean I don't know if their memory is being selective or if that summer had movies that were just so damn terrible that they've been removed from people's memories completely. 

1 hour ago, Jack Nevada said:

The studios hate their audiences. Can't you see that? They think we're stupid and they're getting away with as little effort as possible. And it's working! Honestly, and I'm burning all bridges here, but I CAN'T FUCKING UNDERSTAND how anyone can still be excited for the next superhero movie at this point. IT'S THE SAME SHIT. 

They probably look the same because you're not the target audience.

But fanboys had wildly different movie going experiences with Deadpool, BvS and Civil War.

13 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Summer 2014 being bad? What'chu talkin' bout, Phelan?

That season had Neighbors, DOFP, Edge of Tomorrow, Fault in Our Stars, 22 Jump Street, HTTYD2, DotPotA, Get on Up, and Guardians of the Galaxy, all in one glorious package. Add in some decently fun movies like Lucy and Purge: Anarchy here and there, and that was a pretty solid summer, IMHO.

• Like 8

How can someone say Deadpool, BvS and CW are the same film? 

Besides being comic book films, they couldn't be anymore different actually. 

Different tones, different plots, different characters etc. 

Its like saying all comedies are the same because they just happen to be funny. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Summer 2014 actually felt like an anomaly to me. Edge of Tomorrow, Apes, HTTYD2, GOTG, DOFP and 22 Jump Street were all solid entertainment. Most summers, including this one, I can only name two, maybe three movies that I really liked. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Never said the past summers didn't have their fair share of stinkers.

If you can't see what I'm talking about, then there's point in having a discussion.

Edited by Goffe

I remember being very excited for summer 2015, not so much this summer. Even two years back I just thought, "Wow this looks like a non-starter."

2017 doesn't fare much better but the sequels are a bit more promising. GotG 2, Wonder Woman, Kingsman 2, Alien 5, War of Planet of the Apes, Spidey Homecoming

Of course there's also Pirates 5, TF 5, DM3 and Cars 3 but you can't win em all!

59 minutes ago, MrPink said:

@Jamesalso disagrees with this premise.

Summer movie quality is always getting better and better. Not like that old shit, 20 years ago

Not really. I mean yeah, 20 years ago Summer was shit. But in the last 2-3 years I find it more and more difficult to care about big tentpoles because they all look the same. I mean, look at Summer 2017. I will root for Wonder Woman to do well because I like DC better than Marvel, but I'm not excited for it, just as I'm not excited for Suicide Squad. The last Transformers movie seemed empty to me without Shia's character so I don't really have an interest in the next one. I really liked the first Kingsman, but I wish they would leave it alone. I seriously can't spark any love for another Spiderman, especially because I don't like the new actor. Then there's The Mummy, but that franchise is not the same without Brendan Fraser. I will root for DM3, but I have no interest in seeing it. Same for Annabelle 2. Uncharted is a wild card. So really the the only movies I'm even remotely excited about are Dunkirk (just because I liked Fury and I hope this is close to that), Valerian and POTC5 (guilty pleasure). And of those I will probably see only POTC in cinamas.

As for the rest of the year, it may sound weird, but I'm only excited about King Arthur. That is probably my most anticipated 2017 title. And maybe Justice League to some extent.

2018 looks even worse. I am interested only in Fantastic Beasts 2 and maybe that Scooby-Doo movie (nostalgia).

So no. It doesn't really get better and better. But then again, in the last 2 years most of my favorite movies where DTV, low budget ones. So...   

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Summer 2014 being bad? What'chu talkin' bout, Phelan?

That season had Neighbors, DOFP, Edge of Tomorrow, Fault in Our Stars, 22 Jump Street, HTTYD2, DotPotA, Get on Up, and Guardians of the Galaxy, all in one glorious package. Add in some decently fun movies like Lucy and Purge: Anarchy here and there, and that was a pretty solid summer, IMHO.

Right.  It also had The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Blended, A Million Ways to Die in the West, Jersey Boys, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Deliver Us From Evil, Earth To Echo, Tammy, Planes Fire and Rescue, Sex Tape, Hercules, Into the Storm and Expendebles 3.  

This summer has Civil War, The Nice Guys, Popstar, The Conjuring 2, Central Intelligence, The Shallows, The Purge: Election Year, Dory, Secret Life of Pets with Star Trek Beyond, Jason Bourne, The Founder, Suicide Squad, Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party, Florence Foster Jenkins, Kubo and War Dogs still to come.  

The point is there is a lot of good in bad in most seasons and people usually only remember the stuff they liked and currently only the stuff they don't like.  

• Like 3