grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

You're right, I guess I was using that as a shorthand for a film that doesn't have an easy comp, given its history. It's not a CBM or animated movie, it comes from a potentially fan-driven property but with all the hoopla and "controversy" it's not clear whether it'll behave like one, or a mix of one and a Feig comedy, or a straight comedy, or what.

She is Virginia Madsen. :lol: It's from the opening of DUNE.

LOL! I seriously had no idea that it was her! :) Thanks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

While driving earlier I legit heard an ad on the radio for GB that quoted a critic as saying "proves ladies can be funny too!!!" and then you hear Wiig saying something along the lines of "so take that boys!!" :sadben:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

27 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Didn't you also like BVS? Something about critically panned blockbusters with buff dudes, eh Tele? :redcapes:

I vaguely liked it. :lol: Sort of a 6.5/10... and admittedly part of it was IMAX and part of it was enjoying the company of friends.

• Like 1

Australian opening day about 1m. Should manage 4.5m to 5.5m down under. Should translate to a 45m to 55m OW in the US if normal comparison applies. 

I think given all of the controversy and the less than stellar tracking, anything over a 50 OW should be considered a "win" even if that won't necessarily lead to a great DOM gross.  The ol' "relative to expectations" game.

Then it'll all be down to legs and WOM.   Being in the summer should help if it has even a mixed WOM.

Im going to sleep soon and the Flixster rating is 89%. I fear what the fan boys will do now that they can down vote it. Hopefully people who actually watch the movie vote and it can have a real user rating unlike the debacle going on with IMDb. 

Edited by Nova

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

Im going to sleep soon and the Flixster rating is 89%. I fear what the fan boys will do now that they can down vote it. Hopefully people who actually watch the movie vote and it can have a real user rating unlike the debacle going on with IMDb. 

They've been downvoting it for days already.  It WAS at 93 or 94 (which incdentially, is one of the lowest "want to see it" scores I've seen for a tentpole on RT, well, ever) just a few days ago.  I am quite sure they will take out their rage on this score much like they are over at IMDB.

On Jeopardy tonight there was a Ghostbusters question and afterwards Alex looks at the camera in and said something to the effect of "Ghostbusters, all women, in theaters tomorrow" lol. 

Edited by Bishop54

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They've been downvoting it for days already.  It WAS at 93 or 94 (which incdentially, is one of the lowest "want to see it" scores I've seen for a tentpole on RT, well, ever) just a few days ago.  I am quite sure they will take out their rage on this score much like they are over at IMDB.

So much time on their hands. Bless them. It's like they think people can't go watch the movie themselves and formulate their opinions. 

• Like 1

Big spoilers here so don't read this part if you want two fresh jokes:

Spoiler

The opening scene was awesome and I thought I was going to like it based off the opening haunted house stuff.  The joke about this being the room where PT Barnum decided he would enslave elephants really had be in tears.  And when Wiig tells Andy Garcia not to be like the mayor in JAWS, that was awesome too.

• Like 3

"Thumbs up" if anyone else is going to spend the weekend browsing this thread, and playing Pokemon Go :lol:

I was literally out for a few hours tonight, and ran into these legit pretty cute girls playing too. I was honestly thinking when they told me where to find the one a few of us were looking for "why are you guys playing this and not at like, some party?" I guess the game just has that much "appeal" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

So, when the previews are announced, and everybody jumps to conclusions, remember this is a true wildcard weekend. :) 

Nope, nope, that never happens around these parts.

Never :ph34r:

• Like 1