grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

What's there to be confused about? :redcapes: 

I think it'll do well but $30M? The Conjuring movies were the exceptions, not the rules.

It's opening in a similar spot to Orphan 7 years ago. That was also a horror movie that arrived at a time when competition was especially intense (the second weekend of Harry Potter 6, the combined big start for G-Force and The Ugly Truth).

Edited by filmlover

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

Guy is Magmar level hot right now when it comes to predictions, better just take his word for it.

I'm on a streak with clubs only; last week I said SLOP had no chance in hell at doing 90M+ :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Meet the Fockers hit the perfect sweet spot of goodwill for its predecessor, perfect timing (it was the movie for teens and adults in a Christmas/New Year's that lacked such a film in the immediate aftermath of the Lord of the Rings domination), a huge year for its star (despite appearing in a flop in Envy, Ben Stiller also had hits with Along Came Polly and Dodgeball), fitting escalation of stakes from its predecessor (the first film had uptight parents, while the sequel had Hoffman and Streisand in full-on comedic bohemian mode), and plain dumb luck. It was such a perfect storm of circumstances that it's no surprise that the next sequel couldn't hold a candle to its box office success. (Speaking of: holy moley, Little Fockers was awful.)

Meet the Fockers is awful but Little Fockers is just another level of awful

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Nothing would make me laugh more than if Bad Moms opened to $30M+ and caused the whole forum to wonder why.

I'm predicting 30M+ for it right now, Rallax's latest presales report had it over $30k

14 minutes ago, Ocho said:

Without a big release this weekend (Ghostbusters is a joke).....I believe Star Trek has a chance to really breakout.

70 million + opening weekend

Unlikely, Paramount's marketing has been pretty bad compared to the last two movies

Just now, filmlover said:

I also can't wait until Sausage Party comes out and we have a whole bunch of reports of parents taking their kids to it not knowing what they were getting into.

I can actually see it happening sadly enough. There was a woman near us at Central Intelligence that reacted shocked when she saw the R rating at the end of the trailer. She was like "how can a cartoon be an R?" :P

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I can actually see it happening sadly enough. There was a woman near us at Central Intelligence that reacted shocked when she saw the R rating at the end of the trailer. She was like "how can a cartoon be an R?" :P

I can't get over the fact the Twinkie is gay because...he's a Twinkie. :lol: Seriously, what  has Seth Rogen been smoking that he thinks this shit up?

58 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

The series was never as popular as something like Spongebob though. I do think it could appeal to teen, but I doubt it'll get made. Paramount is already making a nicktoons movie though, maybe DP will be featured in that.

That would be such a waste of the property. Don't treat it like a Nicktoon, treat like a superhero movie that could be done at around 100M budget. I could see it breaking out with a solid marketing campaign and a good director/popular actor cast as Danny. Like maybe Dylan O'Brien.

3 hours ago, jandrew said:

Was happy at first, but now I dont care what Pets does. Saw it two nights ago and was pretty disappointed. I dont personally think it deserves whats its getting.

It doesn't.  Pets is an awful movie.

• Like 2

Ghostbusters felt so similar to Ant-Man to me in quality (felt kinda generic to me outside a couple of scenes but still enjoyable; pretty popular with non-film-nerds), that I'm feeling a 3.1x multi. Exact same.

I just saw pets and it's an enjoyable enough film.  I was entertained while watching it, and will quickly forget about it afterwards.

It's better than Minions, about on par with DM2 and well under DM

• Like 1