grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

Conspiracy Time: What if this movies most vocal bashers were paid by Sony to do just that and cause all of this noise in the first place.

Maybe not right when it was announced but after the first trailer hit.

Since then: Look at how much attention this thing has gotten that it wouldn't have otherwise.

Like imagine this movie opening without any controversy and on just the marketing alone (which has not been good). Like not the articles but just the trailers and TV Spots. Comments to the trailers would have been like ID:R in this scenario. 

Honestly, I agree with Korey at Double Toasted...I bet this loud group just gave it a huge boost for the weekend.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Box Office Mojo even included in their article that as of yesterday morning 66% (2 thirds) of the votes on IMDB were from the US where it hadn't been shown.

I had a quick look at IMDB forums and one person is saying "I have 500 accounts on here".

What a life!

Anyone, with sense, will know that Ghostbusters audience scores on these websites is skewed.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

There's no use arguing about conspiracies. Either you believe them or you don't. 

lol it was a joke. I wasn't actually being serious.

Although it would be smart (until you imagine all it would involve to go just right)....then it becomes implausible.

So yeah, just assholes being assholes.

• Like 1

FWIW: Wasn't a huge fan. Comedy was very hit/miss despite a great cast. Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon especially steal the show whenever they can. Special effects weren't as bad as I feared but not great, 3D was surprisingly good. Film was clumsily edited, the script was bloated and many scenes were overlong, the cameos were especially unnecessary. It would've faired better if it was closer to 90 min than 2 hours. Barely an audience in theater, nobody liked it in mine. I think I actually liked it more than they did. Agreed with @Baumer that the first scene gave me higher hopes.

However I know some people who really liked it, and nobody I know outright hated it. Reactions go from "meh" to "really enjoyed" seems like the only ones who will really hate it are the dumb internet trolls... and they probably won't bother seeing it.

Thinking $3.5 mil previews; $40 to 45 mil OW; $100 to $105 total. I base this on the fact that many ppl I talked to outside of the Internet initially said, "Oh Ghostbusters? I heard that's supposed to be bad." I'm not sure WOM will be strong enough to turn the tide around. I think this will just end up being a turkey, hate to say.

• Like 1

Tele has been here and seen all the posts and hasn't said anything so maybe I'm wrong in doing so, but there is a Ghostbusters thread where you/we can discuss all the bad reviews and trolls and so on.  Obviously those of us who have seen it can give our opinion here, but can we keep this thread more about our personal opinions of the movie after we have seen it AND THE BOX OFFICE?  I personally don't see the need to talk about you tube reviews or conspiracies and so on, here.  Let's keep the weekend thread about the weekend.  Am I right in saying this @Telemachos ?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Box Office Mojo even included in their article that as of yesterday morning 66% (2 thirds) of the votes on IMDB were from the US where it hadn't been shown.

I had a quick look at IMDB forums and one person is saying "I have 500 accounts on here".

What a life!

Anyone, with sense, will know that Ghostbusters audience scores on these websites is skewed.

I just don't get it. I'm a huge fanboy for Potter and LOTR and POTC etc. And I'd defend them to death when in an argument with someone else. But how lifeless must you be to create multiple accounts just to dislike a movie when, in the grand scheme of things, no one cares about your vote. It is mind blowing to me that these people actually don't have anything better to do with their time...

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Best of luck to Tele and his team for the pain they will be going through this weekend, my thoughts are with you. Make the punishments swift and just, Cersei Lannister style!!!

35B5199400000578-3661492-Killer_queen_Mo

I honestly don't know why there is so much hype/anti hype about a $45m OW sequel or remake or whatever

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm honestly really feeling $65M+ OW DOM. There's a lot of curiosity out there and just about everyone's familiar with the brand and McCarthy.

The performance on MovieTickets doesn't indicate any sort of breakout, it's trailing Pets.

I know that's not always accurate. There's a report from someones friend working in a cinema where The Shallows, Tarzan and Purge had bigger previews. That's why I'm keeping expectations in check.

I'm still hopeful but I'm expecting $40m. I would LOVE anything more than $40m.