grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

9 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

A re-release just comes off as cheating to get to 500, IMHO

I would see more of a late run expansion as Disney has done before.  That might get it there.  If not then we could see a painful, long, drag out run like they did to get Tangled over 200.  Just a guess!!!

Well they'll probably do Labor Day expansion again like they did with Inside Out.

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Really? I thought Swiss Army Man has a higher one. Or at least I remember it being high. 

The Lobster had the highest until now.

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

Nah, Scream 1 & 2 > Conjuring 1 & 2 ;)

I'd say PA1 and PA3 > Conjuring 1 and 2 as well. 

Dory's 500m chances are fading fast. It could fall 50% again because of Ice Age next weekend, and 500m is pretty much dead.

It has already made $437m+, so any kind of expansion wouldn't make as much of an impact because so many people have watched it already.

Edited by Mojoguy

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Jake Gyllenhaal is hardly a box office draw himself. In fact, he and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are in the same boat: respected actors who can't sell movie tickets for the life of them.

Most actors are lucky if they can sell tickets at all. At best an actor can open a film to 15m with a generic concept and no notable co-star.

37 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Ghostbusters over or under Central Intelligence?

Under I think.

CI should touch 135 dom.

With 45 ow GB needs to do 3x for 135.

With 44 ow, 3.07x

With 43 ow, 3.14x

Summer comedies can have very good legs. PIXELS did 3.28x (24 ow, 78.75 dom ; weekend drops betray the soild summer weekdays http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=pixels.htm)!

But with a bigger ow and big ratio of previews to ow, and a built in fan-base from the original film, I don't thing GB will do much more than 3x.

Edited by a2knet

1 minute ago, movieboner said:

I think there's a high chance that Frozen 2 will become the first animated film to gross $500 million domestic and take the animated record away from FD in 2017.

Depends on if Frozen 2 is a good movie.

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

Deadline says 16.9 instead of 17.2. So they have insiders who know the more accurate no.

Np told us that the real number will come below 17

Deadline usually has their head up their ass and my math sucks, but I think $16.9m is the more accurate number.  I think a good sign of that is the others are all over the board when they usually have the same number.  ER has $17.2, Gitesh says $17.1 and Deadline says $16.9m.  That pretty much never happens in the afternoon after numbers come out.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, movieboner said:

I think there's a high chance that Frozen 2 will become the first animated film to gross $500 million domestic and take the animated record away from FD in 2017.

Not if they name it FRO2EN.

• Like 1

By the end of this weekend, the domestic top 12 will be

1. Talking animals

2. Superheroes

3. Superheroes

4. Talking animals 

5. Talking animals

6. Superheroes 

7. Talking animals 

8. Superheroes

9. Talking animals 

10. The Rock and Kevin Hart

11. Talking animals 

12. Skarsgards abs, the V, animals but not talking

• Like 23

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

By the end of this weekend, the domestic top 12 will be

1. Talking animals

2. Superheroes

3. Superheroes

4. Talking animals 

5. Talking animals

6. Superheroes 

7. Talking animals 

8. Superheroes

9. Talking animals 

10. The Rock and Kevin Hart

11. Talking animals 

12. Skarsgards abs, the V, animals but not talking

How I miss the glorious couple of days in January when it looked like this. 

37040b0f164d.jpg

• Like 2