grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I just saw Ghostbusters with a nearly sold out audience (of varying ages too). Wouldn't be surprised if it stays flat with yesterday including previews.

Agreed. Maybe it was expectations, but I liked Ghostbusters almost as much as SLOP. I think the difference between those two pretty much charts out the maximum potential swing a marketing campaign can have.

Well pets looks to be on its way to another 330m+. Ghostbusters will likely stay below 154m. Anyone willing to guess what the first film will be to land in between 160m and 330m in 2016. I can't remember a year with an apparent feast or famine at the box office. 

Star Trek, Bourne and suicide squad are all surely contenders to land in between. 

Oh oh and good start for GB. Not great not bad. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

Well pets looks to be on its way to another 330m+. Ghostbusters will likely stay below 154m. Anyone willing to guess what the first film will be to land in between 160m and 330m in 2016. I can't remember a year with an apparent feast or famine at the box office. 

Star Trek, Bourne and suicide squad are all surely contenders to land in between. 

Oh oh and good start for GB. Not great not bad. 

Bourne should be the first to land in that range, with Trek and Pete's Dragon maybe joining soon. I of course think SS is going way above 330, but not a common opinion I know. By the end of the year we could have a lot. Magnificent Seven, Sully, The Girl on the Train, The Birth of a Nation, Doctor Strange, Trolls, Billy Lynn, Beasts, Moana, Passengers, and Sing are all contenders for that range. 

Also last summer was  a very similar feast and famine at the BO if you're wondering the last time this happened. It seems to be the new summer trend. Or the new trend in general outside of fall/Holiday. 

• Like 2

Okay so my 2 local theaters has several sizes in terms of how many people are in the theater at a time. 

We have the largest one possible 

A medium sized one

And then a smaller one

This goes for 3D as well

Anyways Im going to go ahead and assume this is just in my area but I really think that Sony messed up in terms of the amount of showtimes Ghostbusters is getting and which screens it has. In the regular 2D Format it has the same amount of showings as The Shallows (using this as a comparison because it was also released by Sony) did but half of Ghostbusters' screens are in the smaller count theater versus when The Shallows was being played, it played in front of the larger screen for all of its showtimes. This is happening at both of my theaters. Ghostbusters has 6 2D showtimes throughout the day (same as The Shallows) but 3 of them are being played in front of the medium screen instead of all them being played in front of the largest screen possible. 

Obviously Ghostbusters has 3D screens as well but those are even in the smaller screens, but I find it mind boggling that this is the case because Ghostbusters seems to be selling really well here now (versus how it was doing for previews). I don't know how much of an affect this overall has, but I just wanted to point it out. 

IDR and Tarzan had all large screens for all its showtimes and for 3D as well. 

Does anyone know why this is? I assumed Ghostbusters would have the same treatment as IDR and Tarzan. When I asked my friend, he said he gets the command from someone above him for the first few showings and then depending on how the film is selling, they adjust accordingly as a theater in terms of which screen a movie gets. 

I have been crazy busy the last several weeks and not really having time to chat but I have been kinda surprised at the lack of holding power this weekend... seriously with only 1 major release and we can't have great holds across the board??? The next 2 weeks will be slaughtering the holdovers for screens and showtimes it would seem....

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The_Lion_King_poster.jpg

All the other talking animal flicks better bow down. 

I used to be even more obsessed with The Lion King than I am currently with Zootopia. But eh, I think Zootopia is much better as a film.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I have been crazy busy the last several weeks and not really having time to chat but I have been kinda surprised at the lack of holding power this weekend... seriously with only 1 major release and we can't have great holds across the board??? The next 2 weeks will be slaughtering the holdovers for screens and showtimes it would seem....

Yea you're right. The only film that seems to be constantly holding well is CI with another 35% drop. The top 4 holds for this weekend based on the chart on page 54 are

CI with a 36% drop

The Shallows with a 42% drop

LOT with a 47% drop

FD with a 48% drop. 

Every other movie on that list had a drop of over 50%. Although this week in general the drops were horrible across the board. Even for CI. But it recovered big time for the weekend. Next weekend CI will probably still be killing it haha 

• Like 1

Top 10 talking animal films adjusted for inflation at the BO:

1. 101 Dalmatians - $857m

2. The Lion King - $764m

3. Mary Poppins - $670m (maybe shouldn't count since talking animals are only in like one scene)

4. The Jungle Book (1967) - $632m

5. Shrek 2 - $609m

6. Pinocchio - $578m

7. Bambi - $546m

8. Finding Nemo - $528m

9. Cinderella - $517m

10. Lady and the Tramp (soon to be replaced by Dory) - $478m

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea you're right. The only film that seems to be constantly holding well is CI with another 35% drop. The top 4 holds for this weekend based on the chart on page 54 are

CI with a 36% drop

The Shallows with a 42% drop

LOT with a 47% drop

FD with a 48% drop. 

Every other movie on that list had a drop of over 50%. Although this week in general the drops were horrible across the board. Even for CI. But it recovered big time for the weekend. Next weekend CI will probably still be killing it haha 

Yeah this whole summer more than normal (at least to my terrible memory) seems to be built on one weekend flame outs. Now obviously thats an exaggeration across the entire board but still this summer seems so slow if you will.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

Yeah this whole summer more than normal (at least to my terrible memory) seems to be built on one weekend flame outs. Now obviously thats an exaggeration across the entire board but still this summer seems so slow if you will.

To be honest though, the more entertaining films are generally being rewarded with some decent holds as opposed to the ones that are one weekend flame outs and just dying upon arrival. But yes across the board this summer is just a meh summer. 

• Like 1