MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

Overall though very solid opening day numbers for Jason Bourne, and Bad Moms. Jason Bourne has had the strongest debut for the Bourne franchise and strongest debut for actor Matt Damon since The Bourne Ultimatum. Bad Moms has had the best original R-rated comedy debut since Trainwreck. Wait for tomorrow's weekend estimates. I have a feeling that this is going to be very exciting to talk about. Bad Moms will make a $100 million I think guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Yeah, people who think it's going to the biggest film of the summer are probably in for a rude awakening. Thankfully James seems to be the only one who thinks it'll do Civil War numbers.

Awww... it's so cute that you make such bold statements without a single shred of evidence backing you. It's not like I made that prediction because I'm fanboying. As I said before, I have no interest in the movie itself, only in it's BO prospects, since it's such a beast on every level. 

5 minutes ago, James said:

Awww... it's so cute that you make such bold statements without a single shred of evidence backing you. It's not like I made that prediction because I'm fanboying. As I said before, I have no interest in the movie itself, only in it's BO prospects, since it's such a beast on every level. 

What's your evidence? Social media numbers? It is not an exact science.

9 minutes ago, James said:

Well, other then maybe online reactions, there's not much to suggest that Suicide Squad will be the biggest film of summer either. I'm predicting Suicide Squad to do well, but it depends on how reception is really. I could see it having poor legs, if it doesn't turn to be as good as expected.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Of course not, but running on the same level with TFA on Twitter (which is record breaking) leading to release and having the most watched trailers in history doesn't really equate to an opening under Deadpool (which it obliterates on every single level), even if it gets middling reviews. For some reason people are convinced that anticipation is only online, but those level of buzz are impossible to reach, let alone maintain for so long, by the fan base alone. For example it will end up with over 100k tweets today. The next movie will be Bourne with around 20k, and that was released this weekend. A movie getting 100k a day without a trailer being released is simply mind boggling. But people just don't seem to care about that.  

What evidence points to Suicide Squad having a Civil War like opening? Maybe Im not looking in the right places. I can see it opening as low as $120M and if it gets good WOM, as high as $150M based on its pre-sales thus far. And $150M is really reaching its maximum potential. I don't see anything that points to anything like BvS or CW. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, James said:

19 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

16 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Well, other then maybe online reactions, there's not much to suggest that Suicide Squad will be the biggest film of summer either. I'm predicting Suicide Squad to do well, but it depends on how reception is really. I could see it having poor legs, if it doesn't turn to be as good as expected.

Comparative presales in SoCal say it will be good but not on a BvS or CW level OW yet

Updated sellout count for Suicide Squad in the LA area before the showtime escalation on Monday/Tuesday which is normally seen

16 sellouts / 254 showtimes

Comps at roughly the same point in time from Tele's posts:

Civil War: 8 sellouts / 286 showtimes 

BVS: 7 sellouts / 329 showtimes

MOCKINGJAY: 3 sellouts / 261 showtimes one week before release

ULTRON: 9 sellouts  / 565 showtimes four days before release

FURIOUS 7: 0 sellouts / 357 showtimes four days before release

Apocalypse:  5 sellouts / 207 showtimes 

Looks like SS will end with around 400+ showtimes on day of release.

A lot of reserved seating shows are >50% full with quite a few of them very close to sellouts as well.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Evidence??? Seriously??? Like I said the other day we deal in hypotheticals and wild ass assumptions. Nothing more

Your assumptions come from numbers presented to you though. You don't randomly pull numbers out of thin air. Pre-sales and buzz etc serve as "evidence" for our assumptions. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

God, the thing about Ghostbusters is, I get trolls tweeting me. One today:

"The Killing Joke has beaten Ghostbusters because it was ahead on Wednesday."

and "total box office is now down to just $2.9m". 

Can the haters of this film seriously stop checking Box Office Mojo. Their brains are too small to learn anything. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

God, the thing about Ghostbusters is, I get trolls tweeting me. One today:

"The Killing Joke has beaten Ghostbusters because it was ahead on Wednesday."

and "total box office is now down to just $2.9m". 

Can the haters of this film seriously stop checking Box Office Mojo. Their brains are too small to learn anything. 

They don't need to check Box Office Mojo. Maybe they're just reading Deadline. An interesting comment I found was somebody complaining that a Deadline article was too busy reporting on the new movies to point out how much Ghostbusters if flopping. Never mind that Bourne is doing pretty well, Ghostbusters needs more attention, if negative!

47 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Comparative presales in SoCal say it will be good but not on a BvS or CW level OW yet

Updated sellout count for Suicide Squad in the LA area before the showtime escalation on Monday/Tuesday which is normally seen

16 sellouts / 254 showtimes

Comps at roughly the same point in time from Tele's posts:

Civil War: 8 sellouts / 286 showtimes 

BVS: 7 sellouts / 329 showtimes

MOCKINGJAY: 3 sellouts / 261 showtimes one week before release

ULTRON: 9 sellouts  / 565 showtimes four days before release

FURIOUS 7: 0 sellouts / 357 showtimes four days before release

Apocalypse:  5 sellouts / 207 showtimes 

Looks like SS will end with around 400+ showtimes on day of release.

A lot of reserved seating shows are >50% full with quite a few of them very close to sellouts as well.

That seems insanely great to me considering SS is the only movie on that list that is not a sequel. One would argue that, even with it's insane social media tracking, it is still an original movie (yeah, I know, comic, but I meant it like a non-sequel). I think it will somewhat behave like Pets, in the sense that it won't be as frontloaded as a sequel, but not as leggy as an original movie, because of it's exposure.

3 hours ago, nilephelan said:

I loved Star Trek, but they could have cut out that end sequence that had to have cost about $30m and nobody would have even cared.  

I would have cared.  I'd have seen it anyway, but I think that end sequence was awesome, visually.  Would I be going back to see it again in 3D if it weren't there?  Maybe, but maybe not.

3 hours ago, Nova said:

I'm wondering if they plan on expanding it to more theaters after this weekend. I saw that it depends on how it does this weekend but if thats its PTA then thats very very good and should warrant another expansion although i wonder how that would workout. 

That will be very interesting to watch as a precedent matter on how Amazon handles its movies.  It promised at CinemaCon that it would respect the 90 day theatrical window, but will it go wider?  I have no idea.  Is it up to them?

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

FTF is down 41% from last week while The V is down 64% :jeb!: 

There are two more movies out that are worth seeing for the same/overlapping target audience.

• Like 1