CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

1 minute ago, trifle said:

I didn't.  Nor any other weekend. 

DC fans showed up, Superman fans, not so much imho (DESPITE the fact that I really like Batman, too.)  Or it might have only been me.

I love Superman but Snyder's Superman can go fuck off and die.... oh wait

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, excel1 said:

DCCU STATE OF THE UNION

#MakeDCFilmsGreatAgain!

The biggest takeaway from all of this is the DC Properties were - and largely still are - on a completely different level than pretty much any Marvel property sans IRON MAN, and that will change as soon as RDJ leaves. Higher floors, higher ceilings, not even comparable. Where Marvel has essentially reached the potential for nearly all of its properties, DC has had several underperformers in a row. While SS in no way is an underperformer as a concept, it is clear the film will underperform what became its very real potential due to the terrible reviews (even though WOM will be fine).

At what point does WB worry about damaging/destroying what were previously extremely popular brands just for the sake of matching Marvel? Christopher Nolan made Batman the most popular single character ON EARTH. Look at what Zack Snyder was able to do him in a single film. SUICIDE SQUAD clearly had the potential to be a MASSIVE break out hit & make stars out of all of its main characters. While the latter part still may be true (Deadshot, Joker, and Harley won't be turning off any fans), the former now appears to only be a quasi breakout hit ands frankly cannot help feeling like a disappoint relative its clear potential.

This is now 3 straight films that I personally thought were too important for WB to fuck up, but in reality have all been fucked up to varying degrees. It is clear that despite seemingly strong concepts, limitless budgets, the finest production values, the most incredible marketing campaigns, etc that each DCCU property SHOULD have made more money than it is.

The less than perfect quality of MAN OF STEEL, BATMAN V SUPERMAN, and SUICIDE SQUAD has no doubt cost WB at least $1 billion dollars worldwide between the three from the terrible legs they all have experienced (though SS will likely have OK legs). They are underperforming their potential SEVERELY.

MAN OF STEEL should have been a easy 130M OW, 350M total, 900M WW Film

BATMAN VS SUPERMAN should have been an easy $215m, 550m, $1.3b WW Film

SUICIDE SQUAD should have been an easy $175m, $400m, $1b WW Film

The biggest problem they have is living up to the insurmountable legacy of THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY.

MARVEL established a precedent of terrible plots, horrible villains, no existent themes, awesome action, hilarious humor, and loveable hero's. Marvel has made popcorn films from day one. They have trained both critics and their audiences to view their films through THAT looking glass. As a result, viewers are never wondering "Why didn't they do this that way??" or "where was this person?" or "a hero wouldn't do that" etc. They are trained to be dumbed down and not question anything. Their films make no attempt to utilize ones brain and as a result, most issues bounce in one ear and out the other. This approach means they will never experience the true critical success that films as Superman 1, TDK or Spider-man 2 achieved. But, they likely will not upset anybody either. Marvel makes water for all, not wine for a few.

DC Films simply cannot escape the comparisons to Nolan's incredible films. Even when DC tries to go the Marvel route, such as is the case with Suicide Squad, it is held to a CLEAR double standard in the eyes of critics. Critics laugh and take no issues with Starlord having a "dance off" at the end of GOTG because they know what they're watching has a film IQ of 45. They take issue with the more well thought out "Martha!!" scene because this is a film bragging that it has a film IQ of 130 when it's really 110. It's absurd, and ridiculous, and it is all Chris Nolan's fault.

While Marvel trained audiences to turn their brains off, Nolan stimulated moviegoers brains in ways never imagined or thought possible for comic book films. We all instinctively view DC with a greater stature than Marvel properties (as evidenced by the fact they are CLEARLY on a much higher financial starting point than any Marvel property was) and look to DC for the brain stroking Nolan's TDK films gave us. When we do not receive that feeling we came to expect from them, the feeling of disappointment is overwhelming. With Marvel, there is no sense of disappointment because the expectation was never there to begin with.

GIVE ME QUALITY, OR GIVE ME DEATH! MAKE DC FILMS GREAT AGAIN!

LMAO!

snort.gif

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

I almost wonder if this is hindering DC's movie making since they know their A-list characters will bring in big bucks no matter what. It's like having a safety net.

I'm pretty sure Feige said this in an interview once but Marvel would've been totally caput as a studio and probably never even made an Avengers film had their first few films been terribly received.

I don't know really what WB's line of reasoning is. I just feel they don't have a feel for the true nature of these characters (with the exception of Batman) although WW looks promising.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

I completely disagree.

Warner has tarnished and destroyed their 4 biggest brands in 4 films :

Green Lantern, MOS, BvS & Suicide Squad (Joker & Harley Quinn to an extent).

On paper, yes Batman is the most popular superhero but numbers say that today that s Iron Man by far.

Warner has already blew their loads on their biggest and most famous properties : Superman, Batman, GL, Justice League was done clumsily in BvS and they already did their Guardians with SS. 

And they still don't have an Iron Man, a movie that woud create some goodwill for the DC Film brand and I don't even mention a possible Avengers for DC Films, a movie that solidified the Marvel brand for good in 2012.

As of now, DC Films is just profiting from the awareness of their most famous and iconic DC Comics characters and they are doing a terrible job at it IMO.

Wonder Woman is a question mark tho.

In short, in popularity, among GA

DC Comics > Marvel Comics

Marvel Studios > DC Fims

DC characters aren't even that popular when compared to Marvel's. Once you remove Batman and his characters, things get a bit more shakier.

1 hour ago, moviesRus said:

GL is one of DC's lesser known properties, granted it's still way more known than most of the stuff Marvel's doing these days, but it's not Batman, Superman or Joker. Probably felt they needed that extra marketing to push recognition.

GL is still one of DC's better known properties that isn't Batman & Superman, granted that's not saying much. It's just a shame they screwed up his movie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I love Superman but Snyder's Superman can go fuck off and die.... oh wait

I honestly wish they'd leave him dead and reboot him on a separate timeline, origin story on, completely apart from the rest of the DCEU for a while.  They could wait until that version of Superman 'is' Superman in the public consciousness.  Then they can reintroduce them and ignore MOS and BvS. 

At least they would have good and popular Superman movies.

32 minutes ago, Tele Loves Bay & Twilight said:

All that shows is how little you know of writers in Hollywood -- understandable since most of them aren't ranting on their blogs about what they would do. :lol: 

Seriously, dude, there are plenty of people who could do a wonderful take on El Hombre de Acero.

Do you mean Homem de Aço? :lol:

Hmm, I don't know man. I completely understand there's a lot of people in Hollywood that are very talented. There are very talented comic book writers out there too. Superman writers tho? That can get Superman and his mythology like he does? That's something that happens from 30 to 30 years. He's next to John Byrne to me. He's actually a better Superman writer than Geoff Johns, and Johns isn't a bad Superman writer, at least not when compared with the cookie cutter ones. 

I've just stumbled across a pitch he did for Turtles 2. It's silly, corny, but it has the most heart I've seen from a Turtles story since their cartoons. Just a fun mindless cute ending for a kids b movie that actually almost made me tear it up:

Edited by iJackSparrow

18 minutes ago, YourMother said:

When RDJ eventually quits, as long as Marvel writes a good script, brings decent marketing, and find a charismatic actor, I think the next Iron Man will do well.

No easy task.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ecstasy said:

Sure when we're talking about better movies. But the DC brand is tremendous evidenced by the opening weekends of MOS, BvS, SS. Rotten Movies yet people still show up in droves. If that is not a strong brand, I don't know what is.

Marvel is greater at movie making at this point in time. But if DC managed to make a decently reviewed film the box office would be ridiculous. That tells me how strong that brand is.

I do question if DC / WB can keep up the huge opening weekends though. Their first three films were playing it safe for the most part (yes SS was playing it safe a bit, they heavily marketed The Joker for fuck sakes), and I'm not sure if they can keep that same level of marketing enthusiasm and even opening huge opening weekend, for their lesser known character.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

DC characters aren't even that popular when compared to Marvel's. Once you remove Batman and his characters, things get a bit more shakier.

I guess if you include the X-Men, possibly. A lot of their characters are only popular now Marvel's made a lot of popular movies very recently.