CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

3 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

The RT audience score is only 74%, the legs won't be great.

That's the worst start I've seen for a CBM since Fant4stic. I think BVS was in the 80% region at this point.

• Like 2

I'm hoping the next Disney CEO makes Touchstone a thing again, it's insane what some of their movies adjust to (not counting Dreamworks or Miramax):

Sixth Sense: 499M (and you damn well know it would have been fudged to 500) 

Armageddon: 372M

Pretty Woman: 365M

Three Men and a Baby: 361M

Signs: 340M

Roger Rabbit (sort of): 330M

Pearl Harbor: 304M

The Waterboy: 296M

Sister Act: 291M

Ransom: 266M

The Rock: 263M

Good Morning Vietnam: 261M

Wild Hogs: 212M

Bringing Down the House: 191M

The Proposal: 190M

Sweet Home Alabama: 190M

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

If it just does $60m on Friday I don't think it's hitting $140m+ especially with the T-Mobile boost.   I think it needs at least $65m for that

Warner Bros.' Suicide Squad is making a killing at the Friday box office, where it looks to earn at least $60 million for the day on its way to an August-best domestic debut of $140 million or more, according to early returns.  Friday's haul will include a huge $20.5 million in Thursday-night previews. Imax locations took in a hearty $2.4 million, or 12 percent.

If that $60M Friday is true, you're looking at a $40M true Friday. I'm keeping my $130-140M prediction. In fact I'd say it misses $140M because of the Friday T mobile boost. 

Edited by Nova

22 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I do question if DC / WB can keep up the huge opening weekends though. Their first three films were playing it safe for the most part (yes SS was playing it safe a bit, they heavily marketed The Joker for fuck sakes), and I'm not sure if they can keep that same level of marketing enthusiasm and even opening huge opening weekend, for their lesser known character.

I think Wonder Woman and JL can crack $100m+ OW but I wonder about The Flash or Shazam! The latter does have the selling point of Dwayne Johnson and is likely to be a much lighter film than previous DC films 

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

That's the worst start I've seen for a CBM since Fant4stic. I think BVS was in the 80% region at this point.

BvS started at mid to high 80s and then went down to 65 which is where it's at now. 

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'm hoping the next Disney CEO makes Touchstone a thing again, it's insane what some of their movies adjust to (not counting Dreamworks or Miramax):

I would be very, very surprised if they even consider it. Disney is making money hand over fist with its enormous brands (Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, and the in-house animation studio) and many of their expensive efforts that fell outside of those brands have taken a beating in the last four years. There's no financial incentive for them to bring back the Touchstone label and its mid-tier, adult-aimed films under their current business model.

i really don't understand the criticism of Snyder's Cavill Superman. I mean we are in a total different times. The cookey cutter would not work right away we see him and it shouldn't. Kal is a freakin Alien on earth of course he should feel alone and not at home on earth and of course people would question him. "people fear what they don't understand" its such a powerful line from Martha in BvS because its so true. I never ever seen so much deepness in a Marvel movie. Never. And its also pretty damn clear NOW after the events in BvS he will be a more lighter Superman. People of earth now trust him.. They don't question his motives anymore. So of course the next time we see him he will appeal to those that did not like his persona is MoS and BvS.

Just now, Webslinger said:

I would be very, very surprised if they even consider it. Disney is making money hand over fist with its enormous brands (Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, and the in-house animation studio) and many of their expensive efforts that fell outside of those brands have taken a beating in the last four years. There's no financial incentive for them to bring back the Touchstone label and its mid-tier, adult-aimed films under their current business model.

But why not make more? :lol: 

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sixth Sense: 499M (and you damn well know it would have been fudged to 500) 

Armageddon: 372M

Pretty Woman: 365M

Three Men and a Baby: 361M

Signs: 340M

Roger Rabbit (sort of): 330M

Pearl Harbor: 304M

The Waterboy: 296M

Sister Act: 291M

Ransom: 266M

The Rock: 263M

Good Morning Vietnam: 261M

Wild Hogs: 212M

Bringing Down the House: 191M

The Proposal: 190M

Sweet Home Alabama: 190M

I think the Touchstone brand is dead, mid budget films is not what Disney do anymore.

• Like 1