CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

James better get his ass on here tomorrow, I remember he stayed hush hush when TFA shattered records :lol: 

Yeah, wasn't he predicting this would open around what BvS opened too, though I'm sure it must of been MoS. I'm not sure which? :lol: 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm with Ethan on this one, I thought Green Lantern was a lot of fun.

I don't think it's as bad people make it out to be. There are far worse super hero movies in my opinion 

• Like 1

Just now, K1stpierre said:

Yeah, wasn't he predicting this would open around what BvS opened too? :lol: 

No, he was going 180-200M+ :lol: Yesterday he was shouting in here how this would have good WOM; he needs to see the Saturday hold :lol: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Your prediction would hold weight if SS didn't have a MASSIVE 65m+ OD. There's no universe in which that kind of OD yields a sub 130 OW without a disaster having happened WOM-wise. Especially outside of the YA genre no less. 

No, not really.  I was predicting a sub 130 OW off a 64m OD.  The numbers I posted up thread only required slightly worse internal legs than BvS.  More frontloading + similiar WoM = Sub 130 OW.

Not THAT hard to predict, IMO.

Either that or it's a blind squirrel finding a nut once in a while. :P

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's not the fact that SS won't be profitable (it will be) it's the future hole WB is digging themselves into by all these horridly received DCEU films. The interest for SS was huge, way bigger than it had any right to be, and now all it will have going for its box office run was a 100m+ OW when it could have been so much more. At some point the floor will give out here and the big OWs will stop for this franchise and then what? Cause lord knows they can't rely on legs. 

Here's the thing though, this is not a new story. And look around at the other movies. Star Trek franchise is 3 for 3 and look at STB's drops. Look at the critical reception for all the other movies as well. If the DCEU is said to be unsustainable, what does that say about Hollywood in general? Non-franchises don't make this kind of money. Are we going to be left with only low-budget movies, animation, and Disney high-budget blockbusters?

GL was okay not a great film but nothing worth fussing about. I expected the aniti  Christ the way some ya made it seem. All I got was an okay  shrug film that I wont see again like Boy Hood.

Edited by Dragon
  • Like 2

Remember when James was freaking out at SS OD internationally and telling people how it was going to open above CW domestically. 

He hasn't been heard from since he some of Suicide Squad's second day drops in other countries. 

I wonder what will happen if he sees this second day drop :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Outside of the YA genre, not a sequel, extremely buzzy on social media

Historic Saturday drop

Everything's fine tho

Even freaking Twilight and Potter sequels might get beat by SS for OD frontloading! I mean c'mon, a movie that's not even a proper sequel beat the undisputed champs of internal frontloading! THIS IS A DI-SAS-TER. Unless Sunday marks a miraculous recovery.

Just now, Nova said:

Remember when James was freaking out at SS OD internationally and telling people how it was going to open above CW domestically. 

He hasn't been heard from since he some of Suicide Squad's second day drops in other countries. 

I wonder what will happen if he sees this second day drop :ph34r:

what are the drops like int'l?

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

I'm looking at the end result. Yeah it was a bad movie and yes it will have terrible legs. But a year ago most people wouldn't be thinking $125M/$250M total.   It was what, $80M OW and possibly $200M total?  So how can we sit here with a straight face and say it wasn't successful.

It's a fine performance in a vacuum. It's different when they announce 10 movies and put them all into production essentially at once. How many times are audiences going to come out on OW when the WOM is consistently not good? This isn't sustainable and the floor's going to fall off

Man of Steel had mediocre legs and BOTH of its followups are looking like they're going to have abysmal legs

• Like 3

Anyone who thinks this was a guaranteed big hit since it was announced:

On page one, you can see Neo's early predictions. He was typically one of the most optimistic predictors when it came to movies, especially CBMs. His prediction was a 45m OW and a 116m domestic total.

Based on release-date tracking and preview/OD numbers, Saturday (and presumably the weekend) looks slightly disappointing. In the greater context, though, it's a huge smash hit (even if it #crumbles from this point on).

• Like 14

Just now, K1stpierre said:

See, and it's that that makes a 125M OW, look "dissapointing". In reality, a 125M OW regardless is still good, it's when people hype shit so high is when it's considered a dissapointment (a lesson I learned the hard way).

Noppity nope. That OW will never be good coming off a 65M OD. NEVER

2 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Months ago, I thought $80m would be a solid OW for SS. This is a fantastic opening for it, although the internal multiplier looks very weak. Like MOS, it looks like it'll probably have a very impressive opening and weak legs. 

But who knows? All that's really certain right now is that there was an initial huge rush to see it. It's possible this is just the market correcting, and we all misread the signs.

It's very similar to Godzilla which opened big at $90m but limped to $200m and still got a sequel, the fact it's broken the August OW record is nothing to be sneezed at.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm looking at the end result. Yeah it was a bad movie and yes it will have terrible legs. But a year ago most people wouldn't be thinking $125M/$250M total.   It was what, $80M OW and possibly $200M total?  So how can we sit here with a straight face and say it wasn't successful.

I think the OD proved there is interest in DC but they need to deliver a decent film. 

• Like 1