CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

I think Warner Bros is going to do wonders marketing Skull Island. I think that will be one of 2017s biggest hits.

The King Kong/ Godzilla series has so much box office potential, based off the opening weekend of G14. They just need less cutting away and more action.

• Like 1

Easiest way for WB/DC to make sure this "death" doesn't happen is make good movies.  Stop fucking up from the executives on down. It sounds very simple but things do have to turn around and I think with Wonder Woman they will for reasons I outlined earlier.

I think there's a WANT for an alternative to Marvel.  We discuss these DC characters and how popular they may or may not be in 2016 but I think there is also a great desire for something that isn't Marvel.

I don't think anyone is claiming a film opening at $125M is disappointing. People are pointing out how insane its drop is. 

How many of you guys predicted a $125M OW after it had a $65 OD? None of us did. So yea thats why we are all in shock right now and pointing out how awful it is. 

• Like 2

Just now, grey ghost said:

What other franchises does Warner Bros have outside of DCEU that can pull in 1.2-1.5 billion annually?

Nada. Ziltch. Diddley squat.

You think it's gonna pull in 1.5B annually when they get to Flash and Aquaman and Cyborg? If none of the stuff leading up to is even decently received by audiences?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Anyone trying to paint this as disappointing is insulated by the board and minutia of following numbers day to day.  

$125m opening is a big success for this movie no matter if it needs to see $800m theater side to make a profit, because ultimately it will make a profit after everything from cable rights to home video to merchandising.  WB did a fantastic job marketing this but they turned out a shit film so things like this drop happens, and I do think the Olympics plays at least some factor.   

The ironic thing that DC has going for it is the movies have been so bad they have nowhere to go but up at this point.  Obviously there is hunger for the product and as soon as they actually make a quality movie the box office holds will reflect it.  

If The X-Men franchise could survive both X-Men: The Last Stand and Origins then there is hope for WB/DC. There will be DC films being made even if WB has to do a Rebirth style reboot, they're not going to stop making them. 

Given the success of Rebirth and the DC TV series, I wouldn't be surprised if Johns was promoted to DC Films/Entertainment and bring that new hopeful tone to the DC film franchise. 

• Like 3

There is ambiguity as to how various scenarios work out with regards to $$$ for "Suicide Squad." I think these legs are striking. Two crucial things.

1. Expectations: When Civil War made 179.1, it was not as awe-inspiring after the tracking, social media, buzz, and chatter that it would make 200M+ OW. Likewise, we are intuitively expecting something in the 145M+ range when the opening day came out.

2. Audience attitudes towards the DCEU. BvS got so much negativity, and many criticisms were focused on the unrelenting darkness and how the movie was not much "fun." The Suicide Squad trailers really struck a chord and contrasted favorably. The idea that Suicide Squad could win people over and get people excited and positive about the DCEU was the most crucial thing.

• Like 1

If there is anything I learned from Box Office Tracking for superhero movies, that the more you hype its OW to greater heights (CW, SS), you'll only be disappointed when it opens in line with tracking.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dragon said:

Seriously! It wasn't too long ago some ya were praying it hit over 100 mil. It did it and now it's disappointment. I honestly thought it was going to make 80 mil last month lol

Exactly. I mean, with your example, could you imagine if this opened to what was expected and say around 85M? We'd be in a situation where we would question literally if it would make over 150M total DOM. At least with this huge OW in August, instead of looking at a finish around 160M, we're looking at around 250-260, 100M DOM difference. That's huge to me even if legs might be dissapointing. Not all films make it to 300M, I think people fail to realize it's not easy getting to 300M.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Not sure if Fantastic Beasts and Doctor Strange will do all that great either. Rogue One will save the day.

They apparently took Rogue One away from the director and now Tony Gilroy is the man in charge. It is never a good thing when that happens.

6 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

If there's one thing WB can be still happy about, it must be their marketing "department". Despite having awful reviews and legs, BvS and SS definitely showed that at least they did the marketing right, which is proved by two huge OW's.

Their marketing team needs a raise, probably the best marketing team outside of Universal and Disney.

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What other franchises does Warner Bros have outside of DCEU that can pull in 1.2-1.5 billion annually?

Nada. Ziltch. Diddley squat.

I think WAG and the Lego films will deliver solid results for them as will Fantastic Beasts. 

• Like 1

Has there ever been a movie that has been set up to receive free tickets specifically only for Friday? Unprecedented situation leads to unprecedented drop? Next thing you know, somebody is going to be surprised that the sun will rise from the East tomorrow morning.

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

You think it's gonna pull in 1.5B annually when they get to Flash and Aquaman and Cyborg? If none of the stuff leading up to is even decently received by audiences?

Those paired up with Justice League, Batman and Suicide Squad sequels will add up to 1.2+ billion annually, yes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Wonder Woman will do 100M OW and BvS wasnt well received. I think Flash, Batman and Aquaman will do big business. The sequels are all dead, tho... Cyborg will never happen. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don't think anyone is claiming a film opening at $125M is disappointing. People are pointing out how insane its drop is. 

How many of you guys predicted a $125M OW after it had a $65 OD? None of us did. So yea thats why we are all in shock right now and pointing out how awful it is. 

We're all making cracks and jokes, aka insinuating DC is falling apart and blah blah blah. I'm just shedding a new light on it that's all. I've made jokes like everyone for fun, but I'm looking at this from a different perspective. Let's say if this weren't a DC film or Marvel film, and a film on it's own and it opened to 125OW, what would the reaction be even if the film was not great? Holy shit, a 100M+ OW in August??? Are you shitting me? I think because of all the hype from this silly comic book feud (which I'll never understand), people aren't really grasping how big of a OW this is considering the month.

• Like 3

that Cyborg movie isn't happening. It'll turn into Titans or they will do Teen Titans, DC has a much longer list of things they can do that weren't thought possible even a few years ago.  Look at Harley Quinn. they can easily do a solo film for her too.  Plus Affleck's Batman is coming...  

I don't see how this dies, honestly. Out of Wonder Woman,  Wan directing, Affleck directing..  someone is going to put out a damn good movie.

Just now, grey ghost said:

Those paired up with Justice League, Batman and Suicide Squad sequels will add up to 1.2+ billion annually, yes.

Suicide Squad sequel is gonna make them money?!?!? :rofl: There's a better chance of Suicide Squad 2 committing film suicide and never happening then there is of it being profitable now. 

3 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

We're all making cracks and jokes, aka insinuating DC is falling apart and blah blah blah. I'm just shedding a new light on it that's all. I've made jokes like everyone for fun, but I'm looking at this from a different perspective. Let's say if this weren't a DC film or Marvel film, and a film on it's own and it opened to 125OW, what would the reaction be even if the film was not great? Holy shit, a 100M+ OW in August??? Are you shitting me? I think because of all the hype from this silly comic book feud (which I'll never understand), people aren't really grasping how big of a OW this is considering the month.

The reaction would be even worse if a completely original film had a 65m OD and then fell apart this bad. I'm not even sure that's actually possible.