Nova

Tuesday: Suicide Squad $14.27M

1 hour ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

I think Sony biggest mistake was making a shitty film with mostly annoying and painfully unfunny characters.

But that's just me.

Agree. If Ghostbusters was making people laugh then it would be doing better. You can't fake laughs 

• Like 1

Out of curiosity does anyone think cheap Tuesdays were a great benefit?

Maybe them people who were more unsure would of went yesterday because it was that bit cheaper. The film was so anticipated I'm sure a lot of people were looking forward to it and we're disappointed with reviews etc. 

Is it really a good sign of legs yet?

I'm only asking, the film was done great so far.

No shock with Ghostbusters. Everyone knew that would be a complete bust. Honestly, I think it's the same bust if Rogen and Co. made as initially planned. Just didn't matter. Unless it was new, fresh spin on the source that somehow caught the attention of the GA, that thing of dead on arrival.

$14.3 million is good for Suicide Squad. However, I don't think its gonna change the 2nd weekend drop. I am still seeing a -65-67% drop for the film and a conclusion just over $300 million. $300 million is great for this movie and DC/WB definitely got a hit. If they can get movies with terrible reviews over $300 million then imagine what they can do if they get a movie with good reviews (Dark Knight)

• Like 1

Maybe the problem with GB could be over-budgeting.

~130 dom even with a small OS is fine considering studios keep 53% average of the dom gross.

But the 144 budget was ludicrous.

• Like 1

Just now, Hiccup23 said:

$14.3 million is good for Suicide Squad. However, I don't think its gonna change the 2nd weekend drop. I am still seeing a -65-67% drop for the film and a conclusion just over $300 million. $300 million is great for this movie and DC/WB definitely got a hit. If they can get movies with terrible reviews over $300 million then imagine what they can do if they get a movie with good reviews (Dark Knight)

This. Exactly. Probably $500M+ for BatSupes and $400M+ for Squad with even a mixed/positive reception.

• Like 2

Just now, a2knet said:

Maybe the problem with GB could be over-budgeting.

~130 dom even with a small OS is fine considering studios keep 53% average of the dom gross.

But the 144 budget was ludicrous.

Yeah, the budget probably should've been kept in the $100-110M range.

• Like 1

Bummed about GB. It's good enough for a sequel. But spending $144m on a comedy is stupid, no matter what. Sony should've learned that already with GREEN HORNET. 

Re: SS... FANTASTIC FOUR increased 30% on its first Tuesday. Show me a below-33% drop today and I'll be impressed. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

Bummed about GB. It's good enough for a sequel. But spending $144m on a comedy is stupid, no matter what. Sony should've learned that already with GREEN HORNET. 

Re: SS... FANTASTIC FOUR increased 30% on its first Tuesday. Show me a below-33% drop today and I'll be impressed. 

FF increased that much on Tuesday because it sucked and everyone wanted to pay less to see it on Tuesday.  

You're running out of excuses here aren't you?

And how nice of you to site FF and not GOTG.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

FF increased that much on Tuesday because it sucked and everyone wanted to pay less to see it on Tuesday.  

You're running out of excuses here aren't you?

And how nice of you to site FF and not GOTG.

Guardians of the Galaxy increased 1.6% on its first Tuesday and dropped 26% the day after. However, Discount Tuesday is almost becoming more and more like the fourth day of a 4-day holiday frame for movies so we'll have to wait and see how it does today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Guardians of the Galaxy increased 1.6% on its first Tuesday and dropped 26% the day after. However, Discount Tuesday is almost becoming more and more like the fourth day of a 4-day holiday frame for movies so we'll have to wait and see how it does today.

I get that.  But there's obviously other reasons why FF went up so much.  One of them is that people were willing to pay less money to see it knowing it was going to suck, hence the 41% drop the next day and another is that it opened to about a third of what SS did.

• Like 1