Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

• Community Manager
17 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I know I missed the Sausage Party anti-religion conversation but as a Christian I wasn't offended at all. I think most of the time those that get offended are older generation and far more conservative. I mean sure I don't agree with the movie's message but I can overlook that given it's just a stoner comedy. I have a ton of friends who are Christian that enjoy This Is The End as well. Family Guy said it best 

I wish I had been offended. At least then I would have been feeling something.

1 minute ago, DamienRoc said:

Something I've been wanting to blog about but haven't had the time, is how the MCU is more or less turning into a TV show on the big screen. It's increasingly involved with its own continuity, and breaking into it requires a larger and larger "marathon" session.

If I'm being uncharitable, the MCU has all the drawbacks of TV with few of the benefits. But it's not actually that bad. Even so, it does form a core part of my gripe. I like TV, but I really do want films I go to see in the theater to not be TV. Perhaps all cinematic universes will end up like this, though... that is, of course, if anyone else manages to get a successful CU off the ground. The DCEU is the closest, but they're still too early to tell one way or the other.

Couldn't that be said for any series of movies. I mean sure sequels can be standalone but for the most part it's better if you've seen the previous movies first.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Something I've been wanting to blog about but haven't had the time, is how the MCU is more or less turning into a TV show on the big screen. It's increasingly involved with its own continuity, and breaking into it requires a larger and larger "marathon" session.

If I'm being uncharitable, the MCU has all the drawbacks of TV with few of the benefits. But it's not actually that bad. Even so, it does form a core part of my gripe. I like TV, but I really do want films I go to see in the theater to not be TV. Perhaps all cinematic universes will end up like this, though... that is, of course, if anyone else manages to get a successful CU off the ground. The DCEU is the closest, but they're still too early to tell one way or the other.

Even if the story depends on the previous movies, there are always going to be random people dropping in. Case in Point: I saw Cap 3 because my 11-year old sister wanted to see it. She hadn't seen any of the pervious Captain America movies, but she heard the latest one was cool.

14 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Couldn't that be said for any series of movies. I mean sure sequels can be standalone but for the most part it's better if you've seen the previous movies first.

On top of that, Marvel still has new characters to introduce like Doctor Strange. That movie doesn't require you watch the previous thirteen movies in the MCU, just pay attention to one in front of you.

48 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

List of movies that tie into Cap 3:

Captain America: The First Avenger

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The Avengers

The Avengers: Age of Ultron

It's not like it was the second movie in a series or something. Although I did watch Cap 3 without seeing any of those movies, and I think I kind of understood the story. Definitely had no idea what was happening at the very beginning, though.

Edited by cannastop

42 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I think the biggest issue with Civil War is that even if you're a huge Marvel fan, you could easily skip it and wait for home video. CW is like a TV mid-season finale, not a season ending finale. 

I think it may make sense for Marvel  to do a soft reboot after IW to make MCU future movies more GA friendly in Phase 4.

Edited by ProtoMan

14 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

On top of that, Marvel still has new characters to introduce like Doctor Strange. That movie doesn't require you watch the previous thirteen movies in the MCU, just pay attention to one in front of you.

1 minute ago, moviesRus said:

Marvel and HP had similar issues, which is the movies come out in quick succession so if you're not already a fan, it's not that easy to catch up on previous material for casuals. Like has Age of Ultron even made it to TV/Cable rounds yet? 

I don't know if it's hit cable but it hasn't hit Netflix and the other MCU films were pulled awhile ago.  They should be back with  the Netflix/Disney deal though by I think the end of this year.

1 hour ago, nilephelan said:

I hated Age of Ultron in the theater and was so bored I fell asleep twice due to the pacing.  Liked it better on cable when I could watch it in pieces.  Also thought the ending was sort of a repeat of the end of Avengers.  The team fights wave after wave of a robot or robot like enemy while Captain America is concentrating on saving citizens during it.   Never felt any of them were truly in danger 99% of the time.   

I agree with this and I felt GOTG (which I loved) fell into the same BS ending with a terrible and nondescript villain as well. The whole dance routine had me shaking my head. I loved the movie up untl that point but these 3rd acts of these CBM's have been terrible for a long time.  Suicide Squad included in that.  Who am I to tell them they're doing it wrong? Obviously they are making tons of money but if I were to say "same shit, different day" when describing these endings, would I be wrong in that assessment?  I don't believe so. It's hard to argue there aren't similarities. BvS fell into that also.

8 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Marvel and HP had similar issues, which is the movies come out in quick succession so if you're not already a fan, it's not that easy to catch up on previous material for casuals. Like has Age of Ultron even made it to TV/Cable rounds yet? 

Both it and Ant-Man are currently on Starz along with Winter Soldier and Guardians although they'll switch to FX pretty soon. 

22 minutes ago, ProtoMan said:

I think the biggest issue with Civil War is that even if you're a huge Marvel fan, you could easily skip it and wait for home video. CW is like a TV mid-season finale, not a season ending finale. 

I think it may make sense for Marvel  to do a soft reboot after IW to make MCU future movies more GA friendly in Phase 4.

After IW, there won't be any new solo movies for IM, Cap, and Thor. They will be focusing mostly on the new characters, like Capt. Marvel, BP, Dr. Strange, and Ant-Man. I don't think they need to reboot; they just need to keep introducing new characters that can maintain a sense of wonder and interest for MCU. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Captain America: The First America

The Avengers

It's not like it was the second movie in a series or something. Although I did watch Cap 3 without seeing any of those movies, and I think I kind of understood the story. Definitely had no idea what was happening at the very beginning, though.

you haven't seen The Avengers :jeb!:

24 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Captain America: The First America

The Avengers

But as series go on they usually tie previous films in to the current one. Look at Harry Potter or The Hunger Games. The MCU is a series and some movies will have to rely on their predecessors more than others.  

By the time GOTG merges with CAP-BUCKY, IM-SPIDEY and THOR-HULK storylines, they should hand out booklets at the ticket counter to summarize past events.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 4

Just now, a2knet said:

By the time GOTG merges with CAP-BUCKY, IM-SPIDEY and THOR-HULK storylines, they should hand out booklets at the ticket counter to summarize past events.

Enjoy simplicity while you can. It's why I'm really anticipating the next Spider-Man movie. That has $600m dom potential, imo.