Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

1 hour ago, RRA said:

Means little if budgets of the last two entries are so high you have to do 930 million for BVS or 750-800 million for SS to break even. BVS fell short, will SS too or not? Stay tuned!

BvS did not have to do 930 to break even. Deadline estimated 925 to break even in theatrical revenues, but they projected that number would bring in a 200M profit without any consideration of merchandise.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-opening-weekend-box-office-records-1201726300/

The movie did not go as high as WB wanted, but Wall Street was not freaking out because they thought it did not bring in money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Of course it means something. First of all the 750-800 number is bogus. That's way too high. And second....you know what? Never mind. There's no point in trying to say anything. Those of you who hate it have made up your mind and youre now just throwing out imaginary figures and stating bogus facts on what you think it should be doing. There's all kinds of different reasons why Suicide Squad is going to be a success and part of it only part of it has to do with what it makes at the box office.

The figures came from THR (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693) and from much earlier from Ike Barinholtz (http://www.movienewsguide.com/suicide-squad-budget-disclosed-ike-barinholtz-tells-stories-set/131813). Obviously you don't have to believe either one of them, but I'm pretty certain that those that hated the movie didn't convince the Hollywood Reporter to publish that article by Ms. Masters or Mr. Barinholtz to go on Howard Stern last year and say the budget was north of $250 million.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AJG said:

Can we just all admit that Suicide Squad is trash and move on?

11 hours ago, AJG said:

Who woulda thought that the big well promoted extended cut editions of a fanboy film would still be a number one seller with such heavy new competition from incredibly notable and popular movies like Mother's Day, Meet the Blacks, and the worldwide smash hit Paw Patrol: Sports Day...

ROTFL!  Boy, you're on a roll!

4 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

War Dogs is being heavily promoted. It'll be interesting to see the budget on this one, because it's marketing looks pretty costly. I've seen it's trailer and TV spots 10x more than Suicide Squad.

I'm thinking it's about $35-40m budget wise 

11 hours ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Why does something offend you if it has a different message or narrative that what you believe in?  I find this thought process to be incredibly weak.  For example, I don't believe in murder, or torture or rape.  But I've seen plenty of films that entertained the hell out of me that have those things happen in the film.  Why should films be any different?  Why should films have to pander to religion?  They're just stories.  It's just a movie.  Getting offended for someone apparently having some kind of anti religion message is ridiculous imo. 

People would be offended by this for the same reason they would be if it were "anti-woman" or "racist". And most films nowadays don't even consider religion, let alone pander to it.  If anything they pander to political correctness, in any of its various manifestations.

2 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

The figures came from THR (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693) and from much earlier from Ike Barinholtz (http://www.movienewsguide.com/suicide-squad-budget-disclosed-ike-barinholtz-tells-stories-set/131813). Obviously you don't have to believe either one of them, but I'm pretty certain that those that hated the movie didn't convince the Hollywood Reporter to publish that article by Ms. Masters or Mr. Barinholtz to go on Howard Stern last year and say the budget was north of $250 million.

Keep believing this and continue to scratch your head as more of these movies are made. If you really hate this franchise, good for you, but at some point, hopefully common sense kicks in and you realize maybe a studio that has existed for a century doesn't just keep hemorrhaging money for the fun of it, and is stupid enough to keep doing it. 

Also, think relativity. Is it only the DCEU that fudges their numbers like this? Why not look at the studio as a whole. Wouldn't its other movies have similarly fudged numbers? If that's the case, then the DCEU is still their best franchise. And why limit the budgefudge to only WB? All the other studios must be hemorrhaging money too. Simply, look at the history on BOM of tentpoles in general. You'll see a GIANT list of movies that actually missed their budgets by tens or hundreds of millions, let alone more than quadruple its budget. 

So if a movie has a WW gross that is triple to quadruple its budget is considered a money loser, consider all the movies that don't even reach their budgets, or not even make half of its budget! 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

SS wasn't in jeopardy of losing money since tracking numbers came in high. 

What do folks think the biggest CBM will be next year? Guardians?

Spider-Man or JL. Even if it's bad JL could still make a billion.

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Spider-Man or JL. Even if it's bad JL could still make a billion.

Not anymore, after 2 critical disasters and pretty horrible legs, if JL isn't good, fans are going to remember how they were fooled twice before and stay away. I have continued to argue that WB is sacrificing long term success for short term profits and this will become clear when JL doesn't do too well, especially with all of the competition it is facing...

Edited by WilliamK99

37 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

SS wasn't in jeopardy of losing money since tracking numbers came in high. 

What do folks think the biggest CBM will be next year? Guardians?

Looks like this is the 2017 CBM slate:

March 3: Untitled Wolverine sequel (Fox)
March 31: Ghost In The Shell (Paramount)
May 5: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2......#1
June 2: Wonder Woman
June 16: Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Fox)
July 7: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Sony release, Marvel Studios-produced)......#3
October 6: Untitled Fox Marvel film (Fox) (...which one is this?)
November 3: Thor: Ragnarok
November 17: Justice League........#2
Unscheduled 2017: Bloodshot (Valiant/Sony)

JL surely has a shot at #1.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, a2knet said:

And so are it's merchandise profits.

Haha, I remember reading the comments for a YouTube video with a bad review and one person saying he'd already bought 5 t-shirts, a poster and a cap. :P Yeah, I highly doubt they are losing money.

22 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

Yea and ask @kowhite what true budgets are for most films and he will tell you that what gets reported and what really is.....are  nowhere near the same. So if you want to single out one movie where the budget is higher than reported you're barking up the wrong tree. The bottom line is nobody really knows what the budget is for these things and where the money is that they are making but somehow Studios still manage to finance films in the hundreds of millions of dollars range so obviously somebody is making money somewhere. We all like to think here, and this includes me, that we know what's going on but really we're just a bunch of nerds talking about this stuff and we really don't have a clue. I'm not saying that we shouldn't continue to talk and analyze every single dollar that comes in LOL I'm just saying there's way more than meets the eye here.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Keep believing this and continue to scratch your head as more of these movies are made. If you really hate this franchise, good for you, but at some point, hopefully common sense kicks in and you realize maybe a studio that has existed for a century doesn't just keep hemorrhaging money for the fun of it, and is stupid enough to keep doing it. 

Whether I believe it or not is inconsequential. My point in bringing up those links is that the figures didn't come out of nowhere from people who hated the movie as much as you would like to believe that. That the budget being north of $250 million was something that was reported as early as last year by one of the actors on set. It's funny you say hopefully common sense kicks in and I realize maybe a studio that has existed for a century doesn't just keep hemorrhaging money and is stupid enough to keep doing it when essentially that is exactly what the investment banks did to cause the U.S. housing crisis. 

If SS drops 70% for 7 consecutive weekends and it if makes only 19 million in 24 weekdays, SS will end its domestic run with 255 million. 

So, it'll fail to get a 2x multiplier if it has all these drops. Sure, I might be wrong and perhaps the movie will drop 80% or more, because we know, many are saying the WOM is toxic. So, who knows? :)

If that doesn't happen, then we'll possibly get to the 300 million domestic figure, which is perfectly possible.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Looks like this is the 2017 CBM slate:

March 3: Untitled Wolverine sequel (Fox)
March 31: Ghost In The Shell (Paramount)
May 5: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2......#1
June 2: Wonder Woman
June 16: Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Fox)
July 7: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Sony release, Marvel Studios-produced)......#3
October 6: Untitled Fox Marvel film (Fox) (...which one is this?)
November 3: Thor: Ragnarok
November 17: Justice League........#2
Unscheduled 2017: Bloodshot (Valiant/Sony)

JL surely has a shot at #1.

If Wonder Woman is universally acclaimed, i think it could win the year. Its very obvious there's a great upfront demand for these DC characters when you look at their OW numbers and they have the best marketing squad in the business. If only they wouldnt keep fucking up the actual films

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdeezy said:

If Wonder Woman is universally acclaimed, i think it could win the year. Its very obvious there's a great upfront demand for these DC characters when you look at their OW numbers and they have the best marketing squad in the business. If only they wouldnt keep fucking up the actual films

Zero chance that Wonder Woman is going to win the year.  

• Like 11