WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Does Finding Dory have more territories to open in? If so it could of course pass JB, but as of now, JB is nearly 50M ahead of Dory.

Yeah, according to the DORY international thread 1b+ is safe for DORY.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Just now, DAJK said:

Does Finding Dory have more territories to open in? If so it could of course pass JB, but as of now, JB is nearly 50M ahead of Dory.

Dory will definitely do better than TJB worldwide,  there's still quite some money coming in from both Japan and UK, it still has yet to open in Germany, Italy and Scandinavian countries (Norway, Finland Denmark and Sweden). It seems that TJB will definitely having higher OS through, but that's primarily due to how well TJB did in China, Pixars films are definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to China.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Domestically. We don't know how well Ben-hur will do overseas either at this point.

I know this was discussed many times, but nobody gives a shit where the money comes from, so the only figure that matters is WW, even if companies get a bigger % from the US. Warcraft lost a bit of money in it's theatrical run, but I have n doubt it will become profitable with home video. Fant4stic was an utter bomb. 

Damn, I really thought Kubo could do a bit better than that. I mean how it can have a worse OD than Boxtrolls with a far more aggressive and mainstream looking marketing push and such striking visuals is beyond me. Hopefully goes up more to 5 at least.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
30 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I don't see why.

Because Disney's version was a huge hit, they'll likely release a sequel, and the GA is going to get confused as hell. Generally it'll fall to the Hercules problem: when two movies that are basically the same are made, one of them is gonna do well and the other flops.

24 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They began filming October 2015 and was was supposed to be released 2016 then 2017 now 2018. 

So by the time the movie comes out, the kid they cast to play as Mowgli will likely be in his mid-teens. :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James said:

I know this was discussed many times, but nobody gives a shit where the money comes from, so the only figure that matters is WW, even if companies get a bigger % from the US. Warcraft lost a bit of money in it's theatrical run, but I have n doubt it will become profitable with home video. Fant4stic was an utter bomb. 

Don't studios get like 25% of the Chinese gross vs. around 50% from domestic gross? Seems to me like that would make a studio "give a shit" when most of the money comes from China like it did for Warcraft.

In any case, the point wasn't to remark on Warcraft's BO or its profitablity, it was to remark that Kebbell has a terrible track record recently. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn, Ireland thought Kubo could do a bit better than that. I mean how it can have a worse OD than Boxtrolls with a far more aggressive and mainstream looking marketing push and such striking visuals is beyond me. Hopefully goes up more to 5 at least.

Yeah. Though if it does ~15M it should go past BOXTROLL'S 51M dom with better weekdays for a couple of weeks and Labor Day weekend.

I think 3.5-4x will happen for 55-60M dom with 15M ow.

Edit:

Laika seem to have hit a ceiling. Hopefully KUBO is bigger OS.

Spoiler
Rank Title (click to view) Studio Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 Coraline Focus $75,286,229 2,320 $16,849,640 2,299 2/6/09
2 ParaNorman Focus $56,003,051 3,455 $14,087,050 3,429 8/17/12
3 Tim Burton's Corpse Bride WB $53,359,111 3,204 $388,166 5 9/16/05
4 The Boxtrolls Focus $50,837,305 3,464 $17,275,239 3,464 9/26/14
TOTAL: $235,485,696 - - - -
AVERAGE: $58,871,424 3,111 $12,150,024 2,299 -

Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Adjusted Gross Unadjusted Gross Release
1 Coraline Focus $87,396,600 $75,286,229 2/6/09
2 Tim Burton's Corpse Bride WB $72,088,900 $53,359,111 9/16/05
3 ParaNorman Focus $62,231,500 $56,003,051 8/17/12
4 The Boxtrolls Focus $53,053,200 $50,837,305 9/26/14
TOTAL: $274,770,200 $235,485,696 -
AVERAGE: $68,692,600 $58,871,424 -

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Coraline Focus $124.6 $75.3 60.4% $49.3 39.6% 2009
2 Tim Burton's Corpse Bride WB $117.2 $53.4 45.5% $63.8 54.5% 2005
3 The Boxtrolls Focus $109.3 $50.8 46.5% $58.4 53.5% 2014
4 ParaNorman Focus $107.1 $56.0 52.3% $51.1 47.7% 2012
TOTAL: $458.2 $235.5 51.4% $222.7 48.6% -
AVERAGE: $114.6 $58.9 51.4% $55.7 48.6% -

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

The budget is $107m so they need this one to be bigger than that. 

I don't think it's a coincidence though that all of the modern day break out westerns have had an awards push.

Right now, the RT/Flixter want to see numbers are looking too low for a huge opening. 

I'm surprised by the bullish predictions for it. Looks boring as fuck to me. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, James said:

Of course they give a shit.  Not only is the cut from theatrical different but ancillary matters A LOT and it varies wildly by country. 

Eventually $1 in box office in the U.S. is worth about seven times that same dollar in China to a studio.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Paramount just cannot catch a break this summer. All it films have either underperformed badly or out and out flopped.

"Star Trek" was their biggest success,and that did not come near making what they thought it would.

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn, I really thought Kubo could do a bit better than that. I mean how it can have a worse OD than Boxtrolls with a far more aggressive and mainstream looking marketing push and such striking visuals is beyond me. Hopefully goes up more to 5 at least.

Even if it does less than Boxtrolls OW, it'll still leg past it.  Boxtrolls had pretty crappy WoM.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Probably because there's far more animated, family and children product out there right now.   PD just opened and SLOP is still doing business and before that there was Dory and even IA5

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Of course they give a shit.  Not only is the cut from theatrical different but ancillary matters A LOT and it varies wildly by country. 

Eventually $1 in box office in the U.S. is worth about seven times that same dollar in China to a studio.

What is interesting about Warcraft, is that, despite controlling interest in Legendary being bought by a Chinese Company, the film did not qualify as a Chinese Co Production under Chinese Law, and won't get the benefits that a co production gets. IN other words, the studios will only get 25% of the box office take from China.

• Like 2

Just now, dudalb said:

What is interesting about Warcraft, is that, despite controlling interest in Legendary being bought by a Chinese Company, the film did not qualify as a Chinese Co Production under Chinese Law ( not Enough Chinese Citiznes in cast and crew), and won't get the benefits that a co production gets. IN other words, the studios will only get 25% of the box office take from China.

19 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm hoping it has good enough legs to get to 60m. Moviegoers just don't seem to care about stop-motion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I'm hoping it has good enough legs to get to 60m. Moviegoers just don't seem to care about stop-motion.

I wonder if some audiences think it's just another CGI film.