WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

18 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Families never flock to Laika movies, but their movies are usually very well received and get great reviews/WOM. Coraline and ParaNorman had great legs. Boxtrolls is the only one that got mixed WOM from adults which resulted in weaker legs.

Stop motion is a niche audience, Aardman films like Laika are critically well received but outside of the U.K. And some European audiences, they haven't had a huge hit since Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit. 

• Like 1

In the 20 something years I have been following movies and box office, never has late August/Labor Day weekend not been a dumping ground. On the rare occasion they release something worthwhile (like Bring It On, which adjusts to over $100M today), but otherwise, this is the norm.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

In the 20 something years I have been following movies and box office, never has late August/Labor Day weekend not been a dumping ground. On the rare occasion they release something worthwhile (like Bring It On, which adjusts to over $100M today), but otherwise, this is the norm.

Well, let's hope Don't Breathe breaks the trend. An OW on par w/Lights Out (21.6M) would be terrific.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, War Dogs is gonna primarily skew towards college-age males (which is probably why they moved it from March to right before schools start back up). It won't be backloaded much.

Still, it definitely has potential for an older audience, which is why I'm predicting better legs for it from its Thurs. number.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just read War Dogs has a $50M budget, what the hell. Even Michael Bay made Pain & Gain for less than $30M despite having big name stars like Marky Mark and The Rock. But then this is a Warner Bros. movie so...;)

Kevin is a goddamn moron :lol: Another flop for WB this year.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Oh it's small, just somewhere in about 100M fucking dollars. It's TOTALLY profitable, no worries :ph34r:

When are studios going to realize that these epic remakes are just a colossal waste of money?  They go for scale and skimp on story/acting... and selling an audience on scale alone doesn't work in the CGI era like it did in the 1950's...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just read War Dogs has a $50M budget, what the hell. Even Michael Bay made Pain & Gain for less than $30M despite having big name stars like Marky Mark and The Rock. But then this is a Warner Bros. movie so...;)

P&G was a pretty small-scale production. Even just from the trailer, looks like WD is significantly more complicated when it comes to locations. 

Just now, Spectre said:

When are studios going to realize that these epic remakes are just a colossal waste of money?  They go for scale and skimp on story/acting... and selling an audience on scale alone doesn't work in the CGI era like it did in the 1950's...

100m for the sort of movie that could/should play well worldwide seems pretty sensible to me. (Putting aside the quality of the movie itself). Plus it's a famous story. 

Its possible they also covered their budget with foreign presales. Hard to know unless we get some specifics from THR or Deadline. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Kevin is a goddamn moron :lol: Another flop for WB this year.

Have you read that open letter from a supposed ex-employee where he/she (sounds like a she but who knows) calls out Tsujihara's bullshit? It was pretty informative, assuming that all of that was true. In a certain way, it's sad that Tarzan wasn't a flop, because Tsujihara remaining atop of WB depended on its success (albeit, in the middle of the tragic Summer it has been, a surprise success story was always welcome).

But that letter also worrying, because it said that

Spoiler

Wonder Woman is apparently another mess.

I hope to God that part is NOT true.

• Like 4