WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

I get they want those holiday legs which will work for Thanksgiving but Ep.8 is gonna have December on lock.

Plus you really only have one week of kids out then another 4 weeks with them in school by then JL will have lost so many screens late legs will not exist.

Marvel has May locked up until 2021.Dc really needs to get August for all its big flims.

November is a good time to release a superhero film and I imagine WB will try and keep mid November for their tentpoles with Fantastic Beasts in 2016, 2018 and 2020 and DC or another franchise films in the other years 

I could see WB moving Wonder Woman to August but its current slot is fine 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

November is a good time to release a superhero film and I imagine WB will try and keep mid November for their tentpoles with Fantastic Beasts in 2016, 2018 and 2020 and DC or another franchise films in the other years 

I could see WB moving Wonder Woman to August but its current slot is fine 

I know November will get good but August will be great.The flim can Benefit form the last days of summer especially if it can grab a 200+o.w.

I'm confident JL will be DC's highest grosser alone with its biggest opening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

They were probably doubled up with Sausage Party & Suicide Squad in drive ins.  I've noticed the biggest bump for those happens on Fri and Sat with larger Sun drops.

Reasons vary but d-in's had big sunday 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, exomassey said:

I used to enjoy reading this thread about peoples opinion on the box office every weekend but now it's just full of fans just trying to tell us how successful their dc movies are.

People can we stop with the dvd sales stats, ongoing conversation about the film reaching 300 million DOM and the never-ending talk about how WB are so happy, you swear you all worked for them.

You can have input but please stop it. The films made money and only WB knows if it's the success they wanted. 

Let's vary the conversation and move on from DC movies. Discuss them in their own individual forums.

But you were fine when the sky is falling.  I've noticed that too.  It works both ways.  You have to take the bad with the good and the good with the bad.

• Like 2

It amuses me how people are worried about DCU. Three films, averaging 300m domestic, ahead of MCU by comparison. What a start. Whereas Marvel is fading a bit (GotG2 notwithstanding), DCU will only get better. SS will end up grossing only 5% less than GotG both domestic and worldwide. That is my friends is very impressive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It amuses me how people are worried about DCU. Three films, averaging 300m domestic, ahead of MCU by comparison. What a start. Whereas Marvel is fading a bit (GotG2 notwithstanding), DCU will only get better. SS will end up grossing only 5% less than GotG both domestic and worldwide. That is my friends is very impressive.

The first two Iron Man movies adjust to 384M and 340M without 3D, not sure why you keep using this point.

• Like 5

• Community Manager

I'm happy Pete's Dragon barely beat Ben-Hur to make it to the top 5. :)

(I'm not rooting against Ben-Hur here. I just wanted Pete's Dragon to be in the top 5 for it's second weekend cause it's amazing.)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I have a lot to say to show your point is silly, but this is turning into the western front in WW1 DCU and MCU lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

On 8/20/2016 at 9:46 AM, Emerald kikyou said:

Not totally satisfied and a failure are two completely different things. People have been exaggerating this whole thing. Iron man 2 had a 200M budget and a WW gross of 600M+ I can give you many examples in the MCU and many other blockbusters having that kind of rate between budget and gross , are they all financial flops? It doesn't make sense. Mark Huges is an insider too why don't you take his story? There is the reported budget too.

Word.

inuyasha_gif_by_pikachustar93-da7z1qc.gi

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lets be honest take away SH fans and dicussion and this forum be bankrupt pretty fast 

Then the forum would be all about Nolan.

Sounds good to me. :jeb!:

• Like 1

Updated Sausage Party projections:

Weekend 3: 9.6M (-37.8%) cum 84.9M

Weekend 4 (3-Day): 7.1M (-26.8%)

Weekend 4 (4-Day): 9.0M (-6.6%) cum 99.8M

Weekend 5: 2.5M (-64.2%) cum 104M

Weekend 6: 1.8M (-28.2%) cum 107M

DOM: 109.857M (3.206x)

WW: 202.581M (45.8% foreign share)

Updated Pete's Dragon projections:

Weekend 3: 7.1M (-37.8%) cum 57.4M

Weekend 4 (3-Day): 6.9M (-2.4%)

Weekend 4 (4-Day): 7.4M (+4.3%) cum 67.8M

Weekend 5: 2.0M (-71.2%) cum 70.3M

DOM: 77.954M (3.623x)

WW: 163.76M (52.4% foreign share)

Updated Suicide Squad projections:

Weekend 4: 11.9M (-43.1%) cum 278.6M

Weekend 5 (3-Day): 8.6M (-27.4%)

Weekend 5 (4-Day): 11.1M (-6.6%) cum 291M

Weekend 6: 4.3M (-50.4%) cum 295.9M

Weekend 7: 2.6M (-38.4%) cum 298.7M

DOM: 300.871M (2.251x)

WW: 697.672M (56.9% foreign total)

3 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Technically this forum's been only around for five years. :ph34r: 

I remember the day BOM closed I went to BOT Refugees and post something there and I was alone... waiting... for someone... to show up... to say hi...:sadben: 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AHepBurn said:

The combined domestic takes for BvS and SS alone are more than the entire annual domestic takes for the #5 Paramount, #6 Sony/Columbia, #7 Lionsgate, etc. studios thus far. The DC movies will be fine. Like anything, they'll be tweaked with until they get into their groove and are able to firmly plant a flag at a good place for themselves in the market. Adjustments have seemingly already been made behind the scenes just prior to the release of SS, since it looks like DC Films has become its own branch under John Berg and Geoff Johns. We'll see how WW turns out, as that will be the first movie produced under the new structure and they have a good 10-month period to work on the film prior to release.

It's nice to see SS stabilizing. I'm hoping that means that word-of-mouth is better than initially expected and people are finally beginning to understand that WB/DC is going for something different than the standard capeflick faire of the past few years. Big picture, what I do find fascinating is that the numbers for MoS, BvS and SS are pretty similar - ~+$120mil opening, ~$300mil domestic, ~mid-$700mil worldwide. That seems to indicate that the DC movies do have a considerable audience and one that will watch a "DC movie" because it's a "DC movie" and not based on character associations. This is a pretty interesting contrast to the Marvel movies, which have a lot of variance based on lead character.

This is the kind of trend that makes me wonder how the capeflicks really will be doing next year. There were quite a few who were really bullish on the potential for Age of Ultron and Civil War to hit Avengers-like numbers and beyond (+$200mil opening, $1.4bil worldwide, etc.) but that doesn't seem to be the case. At thirteen movies in, the MCU seems to have plateaued with their fanbase and aren't really adding any more. Barring a breakout, I think Dr. Strange looks like it'll hit the same sort of numbers Ant-Man did. It's the exact phenomena observable with the X-Men movies, who have seemingly retained a core audience from the first X-Men movie and haven't added much, leading to similar numbers.

With DC as a newer franchise, I'll be curious to see how big the growth is. With the core audience seemingly already in place, I'm almost certain WW will hit higher than many here are expecting and get in right around the "DC range" of ~+$120mil opening, ~$300mil domestic, ~mid-$700mil worldwide, which will be another win on a rumored ~$175mil budget. I think the Fast and the Furious franchise is an interesting comparison for it, since the initial movies for it were pretty hurt critically but it had a solid following who supported it strongly and over time people started to "get" the franchise and it started seeing really sizable growth. Like with Avengers, DC just needs that one movie that triggers the explosion.

With such negative reaction to the films I have strong doubts that SS2 will be able to pull off any growth at all.

I think many people tuned in and were turned off but a sizeable portion remains to watch these films, which is unfortunate to those who like quality comic book films. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I remember the day BOM closed I went to BOT Refugees and post something there and I was alone... waiting... for someone... to show up... to say hi...:sadben: 

Man, most of the posts here are made by day-oners. November 8, 2011. I bet you weren't lonely for long.

Just now, CJohn said:

I remember the day in the BOT Refugees forum after BOM closed alone... waiting... for someone... to show up... to say hi...:sadben: 

It still exists... albeit from the last moments before the migration to what became BOF. Here's as far back as I can find.

http://mojorefugees.proboards.com/board/1/box-office-derby?page=6

rRvl8tI.png 

What happened to you, CJohn? Where is this optimism now?

:sadben: 

• Like 1