Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

3 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

That's a boggling statement considering that you're a huge horror fan. I mean, pick any random horror sequel and there's a good chance it's worse than Matrix Reloaded. :)

Obviously not in my opinion,

Hence why I said Matrix Reloaded is the worst sequel of all time, imo.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

What is this I can't even

I know a lot of people don't like AWE, but it worked for me probably because I've only ever seen it broken up into two parts and thus, the boredom of sitting in a theater for three hours watching a POTC movie never affected me. The ridiculous doublecrossing is really funny to me and the end fight is the best in the POTC movies.

Only thing DMC has going for it is the wheel fight.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I know a lot of people don't like AWE, but it worked for me probably because I've only ever seen it broken up into two parts and thus, the boredom of sitting in a theater for three hours watching a POTC movie never affected me. The ridiculous doublecrossing is really funny to me and the end fight is the best in the POTC movies.

Only thing DMC has going for it is the wheel fight.

I still can't even. There's almost nothing I like about AWE. It's just an uninteresting mess in every way: character arcs, fights, you name it. DMC has the best sense of absurdity, the best villain, the best overall fight, and the most interesting (potential) arcs for the characters. (It does start poorly, though.)

DMC > COTBP > AWE

• Like 2

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

I still can't even. There's almost nothing I like about AWE. It's just an uninteresting mess in every way: character arcs, fights, you name it. DMC has the best sense of absurdity, the best villain, the best overall fight, and the most interesting (potential) arcs for the characters. (It does start poorly, though.)

DMC > COTBP > AWE

I think AWE is better than you give it credit for. I liked all three Pirates movies though.

• Like 1

DMC > COTBP > AWE

Nonononono... COTBP>>>AWE>DMC. DMC does not have Rush, therefore it is the worst. Totally agree wit the Blankments about the doublecrossings in AWE. And the end is bittersweet...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baumer loves Oogieloves said:

Oh @NuTella Lover of Sky Beams

Everything after COTBP is a total mess. But at least AWE was more coherent. DMC was just a bunch of white noise with the occasional action piece.

Maybe... but those are some of the best action set pieces ever filmed.

• Like 2

Here's the objective and factual truth about the POTC franchise...in my opinion.

COTBP: Fun, creative, likable, and charming, with plenty of great gags and well-choreographed scenes of swordfighting and swashbuckling. It's the perfect movie for when you want to kill an afternoon.

DMC: Stupid, nonsensical, needlessly complicated, and overlong, but there's still plenty to appreciate. Davy Jones is entertaining, the wheel fight and the Kraken scenes are incredible, and there's still Captain Jack and Barbossa doing what they do best. Not great, or even good, but you can still get some enjoyment out of it.

AWE: I haven't seen this movie since it first came out, so maybe there's a bias there, but I remember almost nothing from this movie, outside of the opening, which is far too needlessly dark for a fuckin' POTC movie, and a couple of random scenes here and there. Maybe if I rewatch it I might get something out of it, but I'll probably just end up strongly disliking it.

OST: They tried to scale down, but it once again is overlong, and needlessly complicated. There are some select scenes that are enjoyable, like the mermaid scene, and Jack leaving Angelica on the island, and Angelica herself is a likable character, but most of it is pretty boring and forgettable. It's a shame since they treated the movie like a soft reboot. Hopefully next year's soft reboot will be better and bring Captain Jack back to his former glory.

• Community Manager
3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Here's the objective and factual truth about the POTC franchise...in my opinion.

COTBP: Fun, creative, likable, and charming, with plenty of great gags and well-choreographed scenes of swordfighting and swashbuckling. It's the perfect movie for when you want to kill an afternoon.

DMC: Stupid, nonsensical, needlessly complicated, and overlong, but there's still plenty to appreciate. Davy Jones is entertaining, the wheel fight and the Kraken scenes are incredible, and there's still Captain Jack and Barbossa doing what they do best. Not great, or even good, but you can still get some enjoyment out of it.

AWE: I haven't seen this movie since it first came out, so maybe there's a bias there, but I remember almost nothing from this movie, outside of the opening, which is far too needlessly dark for a fuckin' POTC movie, and a couple of random scenes here and there. Maybe if I rewatch it I might get something out of it, but I'll probably just end up strongly disliking it.

OST: They tried to scale down, but it once again is overlong, and needlessly complicated. There are some select scenes that are enjoyable, like the mermaid scene, and Jack leaving Angelica on the island, and Angelica herself is a likable character, but most of it is pretty boring and forgettable. It's a shame since they treated the movie like a soft reboot. Hopefully next year's soft reboot will be better and bring Captain Jack back to his former glory.

Why is OST on there? They only made three Pirates movies. If there's no Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, it's not Pirates of the Carribean. It's just a Jack Sparrow spin-off no one wanted.

I enjoyed all 3 Pirates movies. To varying degrees of course, but I found them all entertaining enough.

First one was definitely the best. DMC and AWE, well...AWE got Chow Yun Fat, but then DMC got that hilarious wheel fight, so all in all, they're about equal to me.

22. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (2014)

This film was created for all the wrong reasons.  Most of course is money.  When Harry Potter started the trend of splitting the final book in two movies it made sense afterwards.  Those are two competently made films with a strong start to finish.  Hunger Games jumped on board, but holy shit there is nothing in the first part of this book. Here you just sense the pungent smell of a greed hungry studio.  This film has no reason to exist.  It's boring, suffers from painfully long scenes being extended to make a theatrical film. There about 2-4 good scenes they could have easily added into the final film.  After the intense and series highlight that was Catching Fire, this is just a boring film.  These characters are just not as interesting if they aren't fighting for their lives.  And I'd like to note that a lot of Part II's problems suffer from this film's existence (As a few scenes would have worked a lot better if shortened.) It's really sad that the Hunger Games would end on such a sour taste. Both films are disjointed as a result.  Part 1 is a lot like if you ordered a steak in a restaurant.  And then the they gave you a salad instead.  Now you have to wait for your meal, but the experience is already screwed, and that steak is not cooked how it should have been.  Just a real bad experience where if you had one final film,  It may have actually been a solid experience.

• Like 7

I loved Catching Fire. I shouldn't have liked it, it's not my kind of movie, but I did. I guess it's just well made enough! I had high hopes for the sequel.

And then, this turd happens. Almost didn't finish the movie, but finished it anyway. 

A shame, especially when you think that it's the same director. What a let down. I was ready to accept the so-so first installment if that meant more movies like Catching Fire.

There really is not much redeeming about this movie. It's just boring. :sadben: