Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Matrix & Dark City were shot on the same sets in Australia I think.

It s crazy how these two movies have so much in common.

The actual set for the scene at the beginning of The Matrix where Trinity runs across the roof top was left over from Dark City.  However, I don't think any of Dark City was shot on location.

• Like 1

You never know. There is a lot of shit on here.  I'll also have some Honorable mentions I'll put in there.  As I've said, I'm doing it mostly from a drop off in from the film prior.  Reloaded or MI2 might very well be my personal #1  Those was a gut shot to my nuts. And in that case I had more than one pair, and they were all hit simultaneously, causing me to defecate myself while on a date with Pamela Anderson. 

But I like it because I find it more challenging trying to take emotion out. And besides there are plenty of worst sequel lists already out there.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 1

That's exactly the face she made!  Sorry but my jokes are always on the quirky sarcastic side.  The only thing I regret is saying Pam Anderson.  She's not even good anymore.  How about Sharon Stone Total Recall? Maybe Jodie Foster Maverick or just Kelly Preston in Twins?  Just saying Reloaded and MI2 were bad films for me.

• Community Manager
3 hours ago, Porthos said:

In other words, the drama is not, "Is this God", because as you say, we already know how the show is going to answer the question.  The drama is more in "How do the characters react to the people who thinks it is and/or how to react to the Sufficiently Advanced Alien".  That, I maintain, can get a decent amount of milage out of a gifted storyteller.

That's the problem, isn't it? When like at least a third of the episodes of TOS explored this exact same question and often better than in the movie...hell, that's what the first episode was about!

For the love of god, they met fucking Apollo.

• Like 2

25. Grease 2: Greasier (1982)

Just kidding. That isn't the subtitle.  In fact anything that needs grease is sorely missing here. I almost didn't even have this on my list because Travolta and the rest aren't here, but they tried so very hard on this, and a few costars and creative team came back.  They even brought in the guy who played Travolta's role in theater to take on the role. And holy shit he is bad.  There is dancing, and there are songs, but almost none of them work.  They brought in the choreographer from the first to direct, and hot off the presses of writing Airplane II they brought him in to write this in the same year. Talk about a career killer.  The thing about Grease is it was bad but perfectly executed. Grease 2 is just bad.  We got Michelle Pfeiffer and Pete MacDonald who would move on to more in much much better roles. The songs are just weird. The choreography is kind of hilarious and the plot is just horrible.  There are 2 or 3 trivia songs in there, that are all right. There is just no one likable in this film. You actually hate almost everyone in the T-birds and Pink Ladies. And the British/ Australian sort of lead is a weird if underdeveloped lead. I wouldn't put this on there if they hadn't planned 3 sequels and a tv series before the film was released.  This is an awkward musical that wasn't good, let alone be adapted. If Grease was the word. Grease 2 is I don't understand the difference from a noun and a pronoun

Best Scene: You'll never see another film have a musical number about bowling and sex.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm just gonna say this list is gonna need to have Alien Resurrection, Matrix Revolutions, Terminator Genitals.

Brief explanations:

Alien Resurrection:  This move is a mess from start to finish and it felt like a syfy movie.  Fuck you and your excuses Joss Whedon.

Matrix Revolutions:  We're totally out of ideas guys so enjoy this big battle for Zion and a big boring and over the top fight with Smith and Neo at the end like Obi Wan vs Anakin in ROTS.

Terminator Genitals:  After Terminator Salvation I had no exceptions for this and I was still shocked at how terrible this movie was.  Godawful acting/dialogue and probably the most incoherent/baffling studio release I've ever seen.

Don't you mean fuck Jean-Pierre Jeunet? You know, the director?

Anyways, I think Alien: Resurrection and The Matrix Revolutions are bad but not bad enough to warrant inclusion here. Terminator Genisys is horrible though. I have never ever walked out of a movie but I got very close with TG, and I can't believe James Cameron vouched for that piece of trash.

32 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Don't you mean fuck Jean-Pierre Jeunet? You know, the director?

Anyways, I think Alien: Resurrection and The Matrix Revolutions are bad but not bad enough to warrant inclusion here. Terminator Genisys is horrible though. I have never ever walked out of a movie but I got very close with TG, and I can't believe James Cameron vouched for that piece of trash.

They both get the blame, but that script was filled with Whedon bullshit.

And Alien Resurrection and Matrix Revolutions would definitely be on my list because I'm smart enough to avoid stuff like Tremors 5 or Pirates 4.

24. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

That's right, the anti-gay Freddy Krueger movie.  Some of the effects work is very impressive and Englund might be at his very best.  There are almost no wisecracks in the movie.  But you can't get over how hilariously bad this is throughout.  From Naked Gym teacher spankings to a guy get trampled to death by teenagers running from Freddy.  Birds spontaneously combust.  The film is just too different from the rest of the series with Freddy more in the vain of Jason or Michael killing in the real world and not torturing people in their dreams. I mean that's what this series is supposed to be about.  There is some brutality in the violence thanks to the rise in budget, but it's simply not as exciting or terrifying (Though the transformation scene is awesome.)  I mean you have one of the most brilliant concepts for a horror monster, and can do anything in the dream world, and decide to settle on stupid real world film, where they have to have a boy possessed by Freddy.  It's just a slap in the face to the original.  And unlike other franchises, there is usually decent acting in a Freddy film.  Not here outside of Englund. His character deserves more than run of the mill knock off of other horror franchises.  At least knock off your own. And while I won't go into detail on homosexual undertones (Holy shit it's absurd, I mean it's like they gave the usual female lead of these films to a guy, and just didn't change the script, and told him to act female) it's almost like finding the beauty in a disaster. Thankfully they brought Craven back, and while this might not be my least favorite of the series (5 and 6 are both pretty bad too) you can't stop but just say "Why?" throughout the film.  

Best Scene: Jesse turns into Freddy. Great special effects sequence.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ecstasy said:

I was thinking of Grease 2 and if it would appear on your list somewhere.

Michelle Pfeiffer & Maxwell Caulfield are so blonde and pretty in this and the movie is so horrible.  It doesn't work on any level but the worse is that the music is completely wretched.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Michelle Pfeiffer & Maxwell Caulfield are so blonde and pretty in this and the movie is so horrible.  It doesn't work on any level but the worse is that the music is completely wretched.

Maxwell Caulfield is not a particularly good actor as well. Yeah that movie was a mess for sure. But oddly I know people who like it better than the first. But hey..

23. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

What exactly has fallen? Everything in terms of quality from the first.  The first was such a surprise, a film perfectly matched for the batshitted "more is more" Michael Bay.  And then you have Shia! before he became ugh Shia (Granted I think most like him again including myself).  Meghan was worthy of a last name such as Fox. Here both of them are stuck in the typical relationship sequel woes, because we haven't seen that before. The humor that was executed so well in the first is now grating (The parents, the friends, the awful dialogue the bots have to say)  The action as expected is amped up to so far past the extreme you literally have no idea what is going on. Yet another disappointing sequel that drops significantly from a superior original.  Why do people think they always have to take these surprises that are light and just pure fun, and feel they need to add way too serious plots and raise the stakes.  They always forget why the first was a hit to begin with. There is not one scene in this film that up to par with the original (Sure the effects are fine, and there might be a nice punch from one bot to another). The first cared about the characters.  And even some of the robots had glimpses of an Iron Giant type relationship.  Here it is just bad jokes, and unconvincing relationship between any of the characters for a few seconds to catch your breath before the supposedly next modern spectacle of explosions and metal sound effects.  But even if it does satisfy your senses of sight and sound, each scene is forgotten before it even ends. This is the kind of movie that you can run while your taking a shower.

Best Scene:  Whatever worked in the first film, the least badly recreated here.

• Like 12

I thought that too, but while I really enjoyed the first Transformers.  You don't realize that pretty much most are a flip of the coin. I hate most of them. Though I do enjoy watching them once in a while.  Though not Transformers 2.  Didn't even see the third until last year, that too was bad, but by the quality has just leveled off.  I haven't gotten to the fourth yet.