kayumanggi

LOVE, SIMON | 03.16.18 | Fox | trailer on page 1

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Looks like it is going to come in near tracking or slightly above with the extra $850k of inflation in there.  The cinemascore and wom will help and could have a chance to take off, but is going to need to really take off for it to stick around to have crazy legs.  

The problem is in the next 3-4 weeks there is lots of PG-13 younger skewing stuff coming out that will compete with it.  

Another factor, like it or not, is that it is going to be hurt by the Easter Holiday on some level.  Sort of like what happened to Call Me By Your Name over Christmas and how the numbers bombed out for a few days because of the family nature of it.  

not a family film, lol, might get boost with month long spring break, will probably struggle to break 40m

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Lol the schedule has nothing of this sort until Truth or Dare in 4 weeks.  Unless you consider Midnight Sun to be big competition, because that’s the only explicitly teen targeted film I see on the schedule until TOD.

Pacific Rim: Uprising, Ready Player One, Midnight Sun, A Quiet Place, and even Blockers (more of an R rated stretch but very well reviewed and has younger skewing elements) will all bleed off some of the audience and screen space.  

I never said "explicitly teen targeted" in my post.  

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Pacific Rim: Uprising, Ready Player One, Midnight Sun, A Quiet Place, and even Blockers (more of an R rated stretch but very well reviewed and has younger skewing elements) will all bleed off some of the audience and screen space.  

I never said "explicitly teen targeted" in my post.  

Pacific Rim will probably skew towards the 25 and over crowd, and I doubt the same audience that will see Love Simon (teen girls) will choose Pacific Rim over that.  Ready Player One is 80s nostalgia: the movie, why would that appeal young?  Midnight Sun won’t do jack shit.  Blockers is rated R, so most of the teens seeing that will be sneaking in (and even then it’ll definitely skew older).  A Quiet Place is supposed to be rated R too, no?

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Pacific Rim will probably skew towards the 25 and over crowd, and I doubt the same audience that will see Love Simon (teen girls) will choose Pacific Rim over that.  Ready Player One is 80s nostalgia: the movie, why would that appeal young?  Midnight Sun won’t do jack shit.  Blockers is rated R, so most of the teens seeing that will be sneaking in (and even then it’ll definitely skew older).  A Quiet Place is supposed to be rated R too, no?

Again, listen to what I actually typed.  Pacific Rim will be some competition, not exclusive due to rating alone.  Ready Player One is nostalgia, but it has 2 young leads and will also pick up some audience.  A Quiet Place is most likely PG-13.  

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Again, listen to what I actually typed.  Pacific Rim will be some competition, not exclusive due to rating alone.  Ready Player One is nostalgia, but it has 2 young leads and will also pick up some audience.  A Quiet Place is most likely PG-13.  

Pacific Rim is unlikely to be a threat to anything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

They are indeed minor competition, but why would they significantly impact Love Simon, especially when none of those films explicitly target this film’s core demographic?  Maybe if there was another huge teen targeted film coming out, but there won’t be one for another 3-4 weeks (depending on what A Quiet Place gets rated)

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

They are indeed minor competition, but why would they significantly impact Love Simon, especially when none of those films explicitly target this film’s core demographic?  Maybe if there was another huge teen targeted film coming out, but there won’t be one for another 3-4 weeks (depending on what A Quiet Place gets rated)

Again, it could really show great legs, but the math of the business at this moment shows more roadblocks for it than help.  

There are 16 wide release movies between now and April 13th.  You have a major religious Holiday thrown in there as well.  It will need to show really incredible legs to hang onto theaters.  

• Like 3

Just now, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I think I was crying for the last 30 minutes.  

I think I got choked up when Greg Berlanti appeared on screen, cause I didn't quite realize how much I NEEDED this movie until I saw him.  Everything with the family made me emotional.  They handled that SO WELL.  It was the perfect mix of honest reactions and supportiveness.  The dad and the sister SLAYED ME DEAD.  

• Like 1