WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

Just got back from Magnificent 7.  I thought it was really good personally.  I can see why people can say good but not great though.  But someone's negative overboard reaction who shall remain nameless :P , I truly don't get  

Edited by 75live
  • Like 5

@MrPink

http://www.imax.com/news/imax-space-week-launches-amc-theatres-october

See the out-of-this-world schedule below:

Friday, October 14:

A Beautiful Planet (3D)

Hubble (3D)

GRAVITY (3D)

Saturday, October 15:

Space Station (3D)

Blue Planet (2D)

INTERSTELLAR (2D)

Sunday, October 16:

Hubble (3D)

Space Station (3D)

STAR TREK (2D)

Monday, October 17:

Blue Planet (2D)

Hubble (3D)

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (3D)

Tuesday, October 18:

Space Station (3D)

A Beautiful Planet (3D)

STAR TREK BEYOND (3D)

Wednesday, October 19:

A Beautiful Planet (3D)

Blue Planet (2D)

THE MARTIAN (3D)

IMAX_SPACEWEEK_POSTER_72dpi.jpg

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Looks like Denzel is consistent to a fault.

He's stuck in the 75 to 100 m DOM zone even when expectations are higher.

You have to look at the type of films though.  Denzel's budgets are always kept in check much more than some of his counterparts.   He knows how to choose his parts well.  I'd rather have a consistant catalog of 75-110.  Then one HUGE Blockubster here or there and several of underperformers.  This is why I didn't like the negative talk about Denzel's box office in the Sony leak, it was disrespectful.   Denzel movies don't do "200-300" domestic mostly because a majority of his films are dramas.   Denzel in a Superhero Tenpole (Marvel/DC etc) could do very well but I don't think he wants to do that type of film.  Rumors are he was contacted for the "Fast and Furious" sequel but turned it down.   Denzel didn't get this far by picking movies just to get blockbusters.  He's been very selective.   A remake of a Classic Western seems to fit for him.   I almost don't want him to do "Equilizer 2" even though I liked the first movie very much.   I love that his catalog has zero sequels and he's this successful.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 3

I like to think that the Equilizer 2 story that they've got must be pretty solid. Denzel's never done a sequel, so I doubt he's doing it JUST for the paycheck. Though I'm sure that's nice as well lol

Solid opening for Mag7. Even with Pratt, the marketing had Denzel front and center and that's how it opened. 

23 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

You have to look at the type of films though.  Denzel's budgets are always kept in check much more than some of his counterparts.   He knows how to choose his parts well.  I'd rather have a consistant catalog of 75-110.  Then one HUGE Blockubster here or there and several of underperformers.  This is why I didn't like the negative talk about Denzel's box office in the Sony leak, it was disrespectful.   Denzel movies don't do "200-300" domestic mostly because a majority of his films are dramas.   Denzel in a Superhero Tenpole (Marvel/DC etc) could do very well but I don't think he wants to do that type of film.  Rumors are he was contacted for the "Fast and Furious" sequel but turned it down.   Denzel didn't get this far by picking movies just to get blockbusters.  He's been very selective.   A remake of a Classic Western seems to fit for him.   I almost don't want him to do "Equilizer 2" even though I liked the first movie very much.   I love that his catalog has zero sequels and he's this successful.  

It's the same with Leo and Hanks although both have their fair share of flops plus Hanks has been in two franchises. 

I do wonder if certain actors aren't paired with one another simply because they're too expensive. You'd never see a Leo/Denzel film or a Cruise/Jolie film because the salaries would be $40m 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

was there supposed to be a movie playing in IMAX that week originally? Whatever it was they must have thought it wasn't worth it

It was meant to be the 3rd week of Deepwater Horizon in the format.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

It's the same with Leo and Hanks although both have their fair share of flops plus Hanks has been in two franchises. 

I do wonder if certain actors aren't paired with one another simply because they're too expensive. You'd never see a Leo/Denzel film or a Cruise/Jolie film because the salaries would be $40m 

Good point, its true they never get someone to overshowed Denzel but his costars still benefit.  Like Ryan Reynold definitely befinited from Denzel's Star Power for "Safehouse".   Same with Chris Pine as far as "Unstoppable".   After "Trainning Day" they finally saw how Denzel can accent his co-stars very much (Ethan got an Oscar Nod).   Even with his counterparts, Tom Hanks got all the glory for "Philadelphia" but his performance would not have been as strong without Denzel going toe to toe with him.   Or "Crimsion Tide" with him and Gene Hackman.   Denzel even did movies with Juila Robers and Russell Crowe opposite him.    Leo, Hanks and even Depp have similar catalogs as Denzel as far as having Drama's being a success.  

Depp never had a sequel until "Pirates" franchise, I think Leo as of yet still hasn't done a Sequel like Denzel.  But "Titanic" tips the scales on Leo's catalog.  Take that out and his catalog looks very much like Denzel's box office wise (Denzel has a much more consistant mutipler)   Tom has the "Divinci Code" and "Toy Story" Franchises which are huge but his catalog is mostly non-sequels as well.    I still feel Denzel's overal consisitant numbers are more impressive because it's obviously harder for African American actors in Hollywood to not be sterotyped in roles and he's managed this consistancy over 35 years.    Don't get me wrong, I would love a 200-300 Million Domestic Denzel Blockbuster one day something Hanks, Leo and Depp all have.   He would have to get on a tentpole franchise to do it though.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Wasnt Inferno planned for IMAX before it moved? I know it has IMAX OS

Yes, but Inferno is now on October 28 so it doesn't matter. OS it gets it on that weekend.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Most of the big predictions I saw for Magnificent Seven were pretty much because of "OMG Star-Lord!!!" even though it was clearly sold as a Denzel vehicle first and foremost. Pratt's big star test comes in December.

Except he's not even the biggest star in the movie

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Pre meltdown, I would have counted Mel Gibson in this group. He was one of those actors, that I would have pay to see no matter what the critics said about their movies. 

• Like 1