WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

I still can't believe they cast a thin, gorgeous girl for The Girl on the Train. Emily Blunt is a great and endlessly watchable actress but the whole point of the story is that she's fat and feels worthless and undesirable and lives vicariously through a beautiful woman she sees from the train.

Because female audiences can't relate to fat actresses playing the leads in dramas, they must live vicariously through the hot actresses. Hollywood is just giving them what they want.

• Like 4

1). Magnificent Seven  (SONY), 3,674 theaters / $13M Fri. (includes $1.75M previews) / 3-day cume: $37M /Wk 1

2). Storks  (WB), 3,922 theaters / $5.5M Fri. (includes $435K previews) / 3-day cume: $21.4M /Wk 1

3). Sully  (WB), 3,955 theaters (+430) / $4.2M Fri. (-35%) / 3-day cume: $14.8M (-32%)/Total cume: $93.3M/Wk 3

4). Bridget Jones’s Baby  (UNI), 2,930 theaters (+3)/ $1.6M Fri. (-48%) / 3-day cume: $5.9M  (-31%)/Total: $17.8M/Wk 2

5). Snowden  (OR), 2,443 theaters / $1.4M Fri. (-53%) / 3-day cume: $5.1M (-36%)/Total: $16.1M/Wk 2

6). Don’t Breathe (SONY), 2,438 theaters (-770) / $1.1M (-29%) Fri. / 3-day cume: $4M (-29%) / Total  cume: $81.3M / Wk 5

7). Blair Witch  (LG), 3,121 theaters / $1.2M Fri. (-70%) / 3-day cume: $3.7M (-61%)/Total: $15.9M/Wk 2

8). Suicide Squad (WB), 2,172 theaters (-568) / $775K Fri. (-38%) / 3-day cume: $3.1M (-35%) / Total cume: $318M / Wk 8

9). When the Bough Breaks  (SONY), 1,444 theaters (-802) / $767K Fri. (-53%) / 3-day cume: $2.5M (-54%) /Total cume: $26.7M/ Wk 3

10). Kubo and the Two Strings (FOC), 1,209 theaters (-548) / $239K Fri. (-53%) / 3-day cume: $1.1M (-53%) / Total cume: $46M / Wk 6

• Like 3

Those would be some stunning holds across the board for most movies with the glaring exceptions of Blair Witch (duh!) and When the Bough Breaks. Sully clearly wasn't impacted at all by Magnificent Seven's arrival and is on track for $130M+. Definitely one of the biggest success stories of the year so far.

• Like 1

Storks and Mag7 were only set apart at my theatre for pure Friday business by one single ticket (for Storks). Both movies did 9.1M today (animated movies always over perform at my theatre so instead of comparing it to how the movie is actually doing, instead id compare it to Angry Birds which did around 13M OD for a 49M weekend.

Mag7 on the other hand did have 3.5M for Thursday business. So that would be 12.6M total for OD, which is where I could see the movie actually ending up when Friday estimates roll around.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Those would be some stunning holds across the board for most movies with the glaring exceptions of Blair Witch (duh!) and When the Bough Breaks. Sully clearly wasn't impacted at all by Magnificent Seven's arrival and is on track for $130M+. Definitely one of the biggest success stories of the year so far.

Yeah, Magnificent 7 turned out to not be the all consuming break out some of the board predicted. And Storks pretty much flopped. Helped holds across the board.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yeah, Magnificent 7 turned out to not be the all consuming break out some of the board predicted. And Storks pretty much flopped. Helped holds across the board.

The fact most of the movies out now are aimed squarely at adults (the demographic with the most wealth to spread) probably helps too. Probably shows that the adult-targeting flicks in the weeks ahead (Deepwater Horizon, The Girl on the Train, The Accountant) can all easily coexist.

Sully holding its own against Mag7. I was afraid Clint's (not entirely inaccurate) "pussy generation" comments might hurt him. I'm glad they didn't. Btw, his masterpiece Unforgiven comes to Netflix streaming next month! 

And that's a decent hold for Bridget Jones. International #s are strong. I don't care about the movie but it was written by Emma Thompson and who doesn't want Emma Thompson to do well? Only person in history to have won both acting and screenwriting Oscars. 

Legends!

• Like 1

Both Sony and WB are doing well this fall. Disney took a brief vacation and its shocking how Fox has been largely irrelevant since Deadpool, if they didnt have that film it could be argued that this has been a very disappointing year.

Edited by babz06

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

THEN WHY DID THE ONE FUCKING CLUB OF HIS THAT SUCCEEDED HAVE TO BE NOLAN'S

It didn't succeed, it failed too. He intended it to be a reverse curse and it backfired. 

21 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Sully holding its own against Mag7. I was afraid Clint's (not entirely inaccurate) "pussy generation" comments might hurt him. I'm glad they didn't. Btw, his masterpiece Unforgiven comes to Netflix streaming next month! 

And that's a decent hold for Bridget Jones. International #s are strong. I don't care about the movie but it was written by Emma Thompson and who doesn't want Emma Thompson to do well? Only person in history to have won both acting and screenwriting Oscars. 

Legends!

I just the read the Eastwood article. Loved it. 

ESQ: Politically, you’re the Anti-Pussy party?

ScottE: That’s right. No candy-asses.

ClintE: Yeah, I’m anti–the pussy generation. Not to be confused with pussy.

Before treating Mag7 as a disappointment, can we remember that the current projection would make it the highest opening ever for the genre?

It got an A- cinemascore, BTW.

Even though estimates have simmered on Sony/MGM’s The Magnificent Seven to a current $37M, the reality of this $90M production is that it’s a decent opening that hits several records for the third combo between director Antoine Fuqua and leading man Denzel Washington. Should these numbers hold, Magnificent Seven will rep a career best for Fuqua, the highest debut for a western ever outstripping 2011’s Cowboys and Aliens ($36.4M) and the top opening for a September release outside of a family (Hotel Transylvania 2‘s $48.5M) or genre title (Insidious Chapter 2‘s $40.3M).

http://deadline.com/2016/09/magnificent-seven-storks-sully-weekend-box-office-1201824971/

• Like 2

Storks likely will end below Pete's Dragon dom.

Budget is 70m so will be fine in the end.

60+ dom could still give it 175-200 ww which would be a win.

Mag7 budget is 90m which is good for the scale and cast.

But don't think it has much potential os.

Even with 35m ow, 90m+ dom should happen. Feedback seems to be decent.

55 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Before treating Mag7 as a disappointment, can we remember that the current projection would make it the highest opening ever for the genre?

It got an A- cinemascore, BTW.

http://deadline.com/2016/09/magnificent-seven-storks-sully-weekend-box-office-1201824971/

Nitpick: Revenant's first wide week was 39.8 mil

It's still a very good opening for the genre, I'll give you that. But this one doesn't come with the kind of praise that allowed Django/Revenant/True Grit to leg out to high-100s. It should still be modestly profitable for the studio, but they got far more bang for their buck with previous cheaper Denzel actioners. So it is a disappointment.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

Honestly, I don't think Mag 7 will do quite as much as Sully, since WOM is not THAT solid. How the fuck did we get to the point where Sully over Mag 7 is actually plausible... 2016 is the year of expectations being consistently subverted.

That being said, still a damn fine OW, the top one for westerns. Denzel, Pratt and Fuqua should still be happy. Same can't be said for Storks, though.

• Like 1