efialtes76

Weekend Thread: Peregrine: 28.5| Deep: 20.6| M7: 15.7 pg 22

Just now, CJohn said:

All Tele wants are shitty Statham action movies every weekend and superhero movies with beams in the sky.

He would only watch the movie if either Justin Theroux or Luke Evans were the leads. The Bro on the Train. Enjoy, Tele:

Spoiler

Image result for the leftovers jogging gif

Image result for speedo photos celebrities

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AHepBurn said:

Different franchise. ;)

To be honest, what I really want to see is this:

Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio Total Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Open
1 The Dark Knight WB $533,345,358 4,366 $158,411,483 4,366 7/18/08
2 The Dark Knight Rises WB $448,139,099 4,404 $160,887,295 4,404 7/20/12
3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $381,011,219 4,375 $169,189,427 4,375 7/15/11
4 American Sniper WB $350,126,372 3,885 $633,456 4 12/25/14
5 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice WB $330,360,194 4,256 $166,007,347 4,242 3/25/16
6 Suicide Squad WB $318,940,629 4,255 $133,682,248 4,255 8/5/16
7 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $317,575,550 3,672 $90,294,621 3,672 11/16/01
8 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WB (NL) $303,003,568 4,100 $84,617,303 4,045 12/14/12
9 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince WB $301,959,197 4,455 $77,835,727 4,325 7/15/09
10 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 WB $295,983,305 4,125 $125,017,372 4,125 11/19/10

This is the Top 10 all-time domestic for WB. With how BvS and SS have done, by January 2018 there's a good shot that DC movies will account for 6/10 of this list with Wonder Woman and Justice League sliding in. If the DC Films releases were to retain consistency or increase (no matter how minor), we're looking at 8/10 being DC movies by January 2019. Which would be a hilariously amazing sight. Knocking Deathly Hallows 2 and American Sniper out of the chart is unfortunately astoundingly difficult to get a clean 10/10 sweep.

It seems inevitable that DC will take over the bulk of the top ten. Lego Batman which is a WAG/DC film if it's well received will likely knock DH1 out of the top ten, I wonder if we'll get a WAG film in the top five? Would probably be a sequel, Lego or a WB property but you'll never know.

BO Mojo has Deepwater Horizon's budget at 110m (I guess after tax rebates) which is still huge, but not quite the insane 156m number.

M7 dropping 10% more than the Equalizer looks even worse if you consider that the latter had much bigger and more direct competition opening on its 2nd weekend (Gone Girl, Anabelle both R and made a combined OW of 75m). 

• Like 2

The Equalizer was amazing. I really loved it. I watched it a ton of times. Can't wait for the sequel!

Let's remember, Fuqua usually directs hard R rated movies ( Olympus Has Fallen, The Equalizer, Shooter, The Replacement Killers ). I don't think he works well with a pg-13 flick. It feels like a pussified effort. A movie that wants to be something but can't be that something because something  prevents it from being being that something.

M7 might finish its run with less than Olympus Has Fallen ( 98 million domestic ) and The Equalizer ( 101 million domestic ), which were hard R rated movies. That's obviously not good at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

I am 99% sure the only reason it was made was to keep the Cruise Missile happy.

And will likely be one of the best action movies of the year. First one was great, this one looks just as good. Nothing stops the Cruise Missile. 

2 hours ago, ecstasy said:

WB movies competing with each other? You DC fans are ruthless, lol.

I'm really more interested in seeing it for weird occurrence value since it has a pretty good chance of happening. I mean, Fox has had 5/10 Star Wars for a while now. 6/10 and 8/10 DC for WB would be kind of neat. Who knows, 10 years from now we could be looking at 6/10 of Disney's Top 10 being Star Wars.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The Equalizer was amazing. I really loved it. I watched it a ton of times. Can't wait for the sequel!

Let's remember, Fuqua usually directs hard R rated movies ( Olympus Has Fallen, The Equalizer, Shooter, The Replacement Killers ). I don't think he works well with a pg-13 flick. It feels like a pussified effort. A movie that wants to be something but can't be that something because something  prevents it from being being that something.

M7 might finish its run with less than Olympus Has Fallen ( 98 million domestic ) and The Equalizer ( 101 million domestic ), which were hard R rated movies. That's obviously not good at all.

The Magnificent Seven is actually pretty violent, a bit more violent then the original in fact. It just lacks the language of the other films you mentioned. Plus it was never really meant to start a franchise.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

The first half of Deepwater Horizon is stellar. I'm a sucker for that procedural play-by-play slow-build of tension and I think the film does a really great job of it. The second half goes by pretty quickly and the film ends way too abruptly (with an overly sentimental coda), but the film is still very good.

Shame it's gonna bomb with the budget and all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I Might Not Be A Curse said:

Miss Peregrines was...

I'm disappointed in you Burton.  Like 2/3 if the movie was boring.  No longer stanning for it.  Hail Deepwater Horizon (when I see it tomorrow).

Thank you! 30M OW locked now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Queen of Katwe also tanking in wide release, too. $2k PTA. Ouch. 

Dang that gets me sad. Really wanted to see it but it isn't around me. Was hoping for another expansion next week.

17 hours ago, cookie said:

Sully is the only September release making $100m this year.:bourne::sadben:

What a shame considering Deepwater Horizon, Mag 7 and Storks are all easily better than it (Bridget Jones too but lol that never had a shot)

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

What a shame considering Deepwater Horizon, Mag 7 and Storks are all easily better than it (Bridget Jones too but lol that never had a shot)

I'm not surprised though. I had to basically drag my friend to see Mag7 with me. I wanted to see it because of Pratt but generally speaking I would not go to a Western so I got her reluctance.

We both enjoyed it but yeah, it wasn't an easy sell.

Westerns are just a genre with limited appeal (especially to young people).

But then I don't get Sully's appeal either.