MCKillswitch123

#UnpopularOpinions: Movies you think will overperform vs. movies you think will underperform given general expectations

8 minutes ago, Fran2 said:

See there no statistics or counts to believe Moana will come close to outgrossing it. 

Well, I think Moana will make over $300m dom, given past performers like Frozen, Zootopia and Finding Dory.

I think that Fantastic Beasts, being a Harry Potter movie without Harry Potter, will do less than that.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Well, I think Moana will make over $300m dom, given past performers like Frozen, Zootopia and Finding Dory.

I think that Fantastic Beasts, being a Harry Potter movie without Harry Potter, will do less than that.

You consistently miss the point. 

No one cares about Harry. Sorry. Keep wanting it to fail and making excuses. Evidence shows otherwise. 

It's not a Harry Potter film. It's the Wizarding world brand, a cinematic universe

• Like 1

Just now, Fran2 said:

No one cares about Harry. Sorry. Keep wanting it to fail and making excuses. Evidence shows otherwise. 

It's not a Harry Potter film. It's the Wizarding world brand, a cinematic universe

What evidence are you talking about? Of course people care about the character Harry Potter.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fran2 said:

I'm an optimist for Beasts' performance...but come on dude.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Fran2 said:

Has a Harry Potter movie without Harry ever been tested??????

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fran2 said:

How much do you think FB is going to gross? Moana?

I'm thinking 250-270m for FB

300-330m for Moana 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2016 at 11:22 AM, IMojammer said:

Moans is gonna underperform compared to what I see here on BOT, so many 300+ predictions here that I don't think are anywhere close to the mark. In fact I think under 200 is more likely than over 300, but my prediction is in the 220-250 range.

Quite possibly.  Here is an excerpt of something I said back in December: "Moana, I think, has a ton of potential, but in my opinion the public may not find it as immediately appealing as Zootopia...I think [the latter is] something the public will like right off the bat and make a note of to go see; personally, I don't think that the characters of Moana, for one thing, have nearly the same level of immediate mass appeal...".  I already had a feeling that Zootopia, contrary to popular belief at the time, was going to outperform Moana, and although it obviously hasn't happened yet, nothing I've seen or learned since then has changed my impression, including Zootopia's billion-dollar WW run, of course.  So for better or worse, I'll stick with this feeling for now and guess that Moana will most likely underperform against the general (and rather high) expectations of BOT in addition to coming in under Zootopia.  I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but that's up to the movie itself and how audiences respond after seeing it.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 1:11 AM, James said:

Moana isn't making 300m. It has no talking animals (at least not as main characters) and it looks like a cheap knock off of Frozen. Will it beat FB though. IDK. I think both will end up prett much in the same ballpark.

Nailed this one.

My next prediction: King Arthur will do a lot better than most people expect it to. Kong will make more than 550m WW. 

• Like 2

Spiderman: Homecoming will be the lowest grossing of RDJ's billion dollar MCU movies. 

Thor: Ragnarok will make less than Thor TDW cause TDW soured fans and Blanchett is not a boxoffice draw. Cinderella was so good and should have made more than Maleficent and Oz the Great and Powerful yet it ended up with less. 

Edited by Valonqar