CJohn

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum | 17 MAY 2019 | 15th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Absolutely amazing that a little $20m movie about an assassin coming out of retirement would spawn a 4 movie franchise that has vastly increased with each movie (OW's of $14m, $30m and $57m).

I remember after the first one people were hoping $88m WW would be enough to get a sequel, but it was by no means guaranteed, and now we are headed to a 4th awesome installment.😁

• Like 4

This was fun. The action was great, and I mean GREAT.

Stupid ending though. I know they wanted something to get people hyped for part 4, but it wasn’t nearly as good as Wick 2’s ending

On 5/20/2019 at 8:12 PM, Incarnadine said:

Absolutely amazing that a little $20m movie about an assassin coming out of retirement would spawn a 4 movie franchise that has vastly increased with each movie (OW's of $14m, $30m and $57m).

I remember after the first one people were hoping $88m WW would be enough to get a sequel, but it was by no means guaranteed, and now we are headed to a 4th awesome installment.😁

I think we're done with the near double OW increases from previous installments, though.

I saw JW3:P this past Saturday.

I find that I don't wholly enjoy them as much as I want to though. 

I'd have to grade this a B-/C+ even cause from a  story perspective about "The Table" things seem off.

Are we doing spoilers here yet?

I saw it Thursday.  The thing that got me is, the movie is non-stop violence and killing in NYC. Where the heck is

the NYPD 😂?! They are riding through the streets on cycles, horses, firing guns, and no cops show up?! 

Shoplift at a big box and TEN cops show up, but you can wage WWIII on the streets of NY, and they're MIA??!! Even if they're paid off, they're still gonna show up, do their report, to make it look good 🙂!

It was freakin' bullets flying everywhere in the Continental, and not ONE cop, one SWAT team show up 😂!

Thst being said, I enjoyed the movie. The LONG choreographed karate scenes got tiresome after the tenth one, but that's a minor gripe.

Edited by OdinSon2k14

A series where the second and third installments doubled and almost doubled their predecessors respectively and still maintained a 3x multi?  Got to be close to unheard of, right? 

Obviously comes to a crashing halt with Part 4.  But the 3x multi shows that there is still room for appreciation, I think.  The 80/220 number tossed out in the latest WE thread sounds possible to me if Wick 4 truly connects with the audience.  Even something like 70/190 sounds possible.

Truly one of the success stories of The New Tens when it comes to box office.

52 minutes ago, Porthos said:

A series where the second and third installments doubled and almost doubled their predecessors respectively and still maintained a 3x multi?  Got to be close to unheard of, right? 

Could be, there some niche close call

El Marachi franchise for example:

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 Once Upon a Time in Mexico Sony $56,359,780 3,289 $23,424,118 3,282 9/12/03
2 Desperado Sony $25,405,445 2,027 $7,910,446 2,027 8/25/95
3 El Mariachi Col. $2,040,920 88 $312,528 66 2/26/93

More than doubled each time, but without a 3x multi.

Evil dead doubled or more 4 times now:

1 Evil Dead (2013) TriS $54,239,856 3,025 $25,775,847 3,025 4/5/13
2 Army of Darkness Uni. $11,502,976 1,391 $4,424,535 1,387 2/19/93
3 Evil Dead 2 DEG $5,923,044 310 $807,260 310 3/13/87
4 The Evil Dead NL $2,400,000 128 n/a - 1/1/83

Without the 3x multi and with longer gap, the trilogy being released on 10 year's

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://deadline.com/2019/09/john-wick-chapter-3-home-entertainment-revenue-record-lionsgate-hunger-games-1202737847/

EXCLUSIVE: Who says the home entertainment sector is dead? Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum has sold over 3 million units in packaged media, electronic sales and VOD since its arrival in the post-theatrical window in late August, becoming Lionsgate’s highest-grossing home entertainment title in five years, since 2014’s The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1.

Among all of the mini-major’s electronic sell-through titles, John Wick Chapter 3 is the biggest ever, surpassing John Wick Part 2 in its first three days of EST release. Chapter 3 became available on DVD/Blu-Ray on September 10.

Lionsgate tells us that John Wick 3 is over-indexing on home entertainment platforms at a level comparable to action titles that have grossed better than $250 million at the domestic B.O., underscoring its appeal to home entertainment consumers.

The success of Chapter 3 between its box office and home entertainment is a throwback to when films truly minted bucks in the post-theatrical window. With the arrival of digital, majors have complained they’ve seen their home entertainment revenues shrink for films. Their way of dealing with this is creating their own streaming services, in an effort to hopefully cut down the theatrical-to-home window release, maximize overall monies for a title, and save on ancillary P&A spend. If there’s a long gap between the jump from theatrical to home entertainment, studios have to resuscitate a title in the latter’s window.

“The popularity of the John Wick franchise continues to surge with strong growth across packaged media, electronic sell-through and video-on-demand platforms,” said Lionsgate President of Worldwide Home Entertainment Ron Schwartz. “The success of John Wick: Chapter 3 is a testament to the film’s incredible cast, led by Keanu Reeves, and amazing creative team, the efforts of our sales and marketing executives, and the vibrancy of the home entertainment business across all of its platforms.”

• Astonished 2