efialtes76

Weekend Thread: Accountant 24.7M, Kevin Hart 11.9M, GOTT 11.9M, Peregrine 8.9M

Very surprising number for The Accountant given the critical reception.  However, early anecdotal feedback suggests it will connect far better with the moviegoing public.  I still didn't think it would crack $20m, though. 

Seems like a solid number for Hart, as well, though there is very little comp data to go on with a film like this.  Could be quite frontloaded. 

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Those poor empty auditoriums this weekend. Feel sad for them.

An empty auditorium isn't the worst, because the theatre gets to shut it down until the next show and save... a lot of money from running that projector. The worst is when there's 1-2 people in the auditorium and you have to run the projector.

• Like 2

Mojo preview analysis

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: The Accountant got off to a great start last night with $1.35 million in Thursday night previews, which began at 7 PM. Other R-rated Fall films in that range include The Equalizer, which brought in $1.5 million on Thursday night and opened with $34.1 million and Black Mass, which brought in $1.4 million and opened with $22.6 million. This is an even better Thursday night than films such as The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl opened with, which opened with $24.5 million and $37.5 million respectively, the latter of which also starred Ben Affleck. In fact, when you open up the range to include R-rated films from any time in the year very few opened below $20 million, which bodes very well for the film's opening weekend prospects.

Kevin Hart: What Now? delivered $739,000 from Thursday night preshows from 2,054 theaters. Hart's last concert film, Let Me Explain, was a Wednesday opener in the summer of 2013 and brought in $1.1 million on Tuesday night, which doesn't make for a great comparison. Overall, comparisons for this title remain limited, though you could look to Hart's The Wedding Ringer, which brought in $800,000 on Thursday night and opened with $20.6 million in January of last year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

An empty auditorium isn't the worst, because the theatre gets to shut it down until the next show and save... a lot of money from running that projector. The worst is when there's 1-2 people in the auditorium and you have to run the projector.

I watched Shaun the Sheep alone last year and I felt bad for making them running it just for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I watched Shaun the Sheep alone last year and I felt bad for making them running it just for me.

Before I knew the whole "it's common staff curtosy not to watch a movie if you're the only one in there" because you're not even paying for a ticket, I watched pixels all by myself and one of my co workers at the time came into the auditorium halfway through, crawled under the seat without me noticing and she grabbed my ankles and scared the life out of me.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I've been that person at least a few times :P 

• Like 1

i guess cinemas aren't so hot where i am because i've been the only person in the theater a bunch of times and i love it. especially when the teen that works there comes in just before they start running it and sees my dopey ass sitting there. the disappointed look on his face fuels the rest of my day.

• Like 9

Closest I came was when I saw the Departed a decade(!) ago. Me and a young couple that sat in the upper rows and werent interested in the film as much as each other....

Although when the wife and I saw Mag7 the other week there were only 5 of us total on a Thursday afternoon.

I always root for mostly empty theaters. No one's gonna care if I laugh too loudly or cry. I think the last one I was in was The Book of Life in 3D. On opening day.

I could probably walk into Middle School and be the only one there.

21 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i guess cinemas aren't so hot where i am because i've been the only person in the theater a bunch of times and i love it. especially when the teen that works there comes in just before they start running it and sees my dopey ass sitting there. the disappointed look on his face fuels the rest of my day.

Come to my they are you'll probably have masterminds all to yourself all week :P