Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

If Erlich says it’s good then we have a winner here folks.  I was hopeful after King’s Paddington miracles, and now I’m hyped to see this. 

Christmas is saved. Sounds like a proper Disney movie that Disney will be crying they haven’t made. 

Didn’t Erlich like House of Gucci? And hate The Lion King? Not sure what his take has to do with the BO for Wonka. 

10 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Didn’t Erlich like House of Gucci? And hate The Lion King? Not sure what his take has to do with the BO for Wonka. 

Agreed. If he said Timothee was good and not Paul King, then this movie would go above Avatar. That's just facts right there.

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Timothee best actor

He will get a Nomination if he is as good as the early comments inidcate, but he won't win. Ciliian Murphy is still the heavy favorite. Oscar tends to like  dramaic performances over  those in Comedy and Musicals. Of course there are exceptions, but that is the  way to bet.

16 minutes ago, excel1 said:

If WB comes out of 2023 with enormous hunger for Barbie 2 and Wonka 2, they have had a monster year. 

I honestly have not kept track , but even if not officialy announced you know Barbie 2 is in the works.

Edited by dudalb

I'm sure reviews will be solid at least, Paul King's brand of old-fashioned goofiness seems to have good support in cinephile circles. Still not sure if that'll translate to a domestic box office explosion given the Paddington movies didn't really break out here, but I imagine Europe will embrace this and shouldn't have any financial issues.

4 hours ago, Bob Train said:

There hasn't been a GA appealing movie to get over 80% on RT and A-range cinemascore since Barbenheimer. Only thing to come close is TMNT which was handicapped by being a reboot and animation penalty. 

If Wonka can get both, it will put up massive numbers and be a Jumanji-esque breakout.

I don't know Jumanji should be the direction of potential breakout. Jumanji is still very action-packed to appeal wider audience but I don't see this is the case for Wonka. Even there is a breakout, I don't see a much higher than TGS.

3 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

I think most of us thought the quality would be there

not me

those trailers kinda sucked and chamalet seems miscast

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

55 minutes ago, Flip said:

Barbie 2 seems like the type of movie that won’t release until at least 6 years from now

Barbie is not a film which needs to begin filming 18 months before release. 

Christmas themed Barbie 2 for Christmas 2025 seems like a beyond obvious choice. 

Phrases like "far from perfect" being among the early social media reactions by now should definitely be taken as a sign to proceed with caution knowing that the bigger outlets/those with less favorable opinions tend to stay quiet until the review embargo ends, but happy that the early consensus is that Timmy is good at least!

• Like 4