Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM

I love the Tim Burton one...but let's just have all these movies stand alone, even if they must be made.

Though part of me wants this origin to be connected to one of the others, just incase they cast Glover and we can all wonder how Wonka went from black to white. 

On 2/12/2018 at 6:47 PM, Jonwo said:

Given how critically acclaimed Paddington 1 and 2 were, it's no surprise WB wanted Paul King.

I would imagine David Heyman gained the liberty to pick is director a long time ago at WB (being producer of the Paddington, I suspect it was is pick).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Morieris said:

I love the Tim Burton one...but let's just have all these movies stand alone, even if they must be made.

Though part of me wants this origin to be connected to one of the others, just incase they cast Glover and we can all wonder how Wonka went from black to white. 

I thought the Tim Burton version was good when it stuck to the book, but the whole "Origin" of Wonka,,which is not even hinted at in the book,just, well, sucked,and was the first sign that Burton's obsession with his charecters having "daddy issues" had gotten out of hand.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I thought the Tim Burton version was good when it stuck to the book, but the whole "Origin" of Wonka,,which is not even hinted at in the book,just, well, sucked,and was the first sign that Burton's obsession with his charecters having "daddy issues" had gotten out of hand.

Neither films is that faithful to the book, the Burton film is closer but it does have issues. A film adaptation that took what worked in the Wilder version and what worked in the Burton version would be great. 

I hope that the character of Wonka in this new film tones down the eccentricity, I think Wilder got it right whereas Depp played it too wacky.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, Jonwo said:

Neither films is that faithful to the book, the Burton film is closer but it does have issues. A film adaptation that took what worked in the Wilder version and what worked in the Burton version would be great. 

I hope that the character of Wonka in this new film tones down the eccentricity, I think Wilder got it right whereas Depp played it too wacky.

I think you are right.

Neither is completely faithful to the book, but at least the Wilder version did not introduce an elaborate backstory that served no purpose but to indulge in the director's own obsession.....

And this is the film where I first thought: "Depp has really got to tone down the weirdo angle. Worked for Jack Sparrow, but Depp is going to make a fool of himself if he tries to do it for every film he is in".

Edited by dudalb

I mean the choice is obvious. One is a pile of garbage that can only do one thing which it does decent at best who can’t draw in an audience successfully outside of one role and the other is an Oscar nominated ice cream sundae.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Haha 2