Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

20 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I gotta say PJ has really sunk outside of the LOTR movies. 

I only realised the other day seeing this trailer in the cinema that it's not a Peter Jackson film. Although he puts his name on lots of things and is involved in lots of projects he hasn't actually made much non-Middle earth since the 90s. Only King Kong and lovely bones. One of which is absolutely fantastic - and made over 500M at the box office, unfortunately not enough to make it a profitable movie but that was due to its huge budget. It was still a box office hit.

• Thanks 1

This is what I think of the Christmas slate:

Mary Poppins, Spider-Man, and Holmes & Watson all benefit the most from releasing here. The last one might be a bomb based on its CinemaCon recepetion, but it'd flop anywhere. At least here it's the only non-blockbuster option.

Aquaman also benefits a lot from this date, but I've been getting the sense a delay is incoming. Everything that's been seen so far is very unfinished footage, and considering we aren't getting the trailer for at least another month, I have my doubts about whether this can make Christmas. Hell, we've been hearing more about Shazam lately.

Bumblebee will be fine, but its potential gross is limited. Personally, I'd move this to February where there's no competition (Dark Phoenix is a bomb).

Alita is getting hurt right now by the number of releases. If two of Aquaman/Bumblebee/Mortal Engines moved, it'd be a great date.

Mortal Engines is going to bomb wherever it lands. Universal should do theaters a solid and get it out of Christmas.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

Small gripe : Having a word like 'engine' in the tile gives it a soul-less mechanistic feel.

better or worse than 'instruments' though?

also.. mechanical not mechanistic?

Edited by Ranger Tree
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mary Poppins, Spider-Man, and Holmes & Watson all benefit the most from releasing here. The last one might be a bomb based on its CinemaCon recepetion, but it'd flop anywhere. At least here it's the only non-blockbuster option.

How much do you think for those 3?

The plot sounds very cliché but I'm loving the vibe and visuals of it. I'm always into interesting world-building so I'll be trying to catch this one at the movies.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 1

Ehh, why not?

Mary Poppins: $260M

Aquaman: $205M

Spider-Man: $140M

Bumblebee: $80M

Holmes & Watson: $70M

Alita: $50M

Mortal Engines: $45M

Yikes, this Christmas slate's a real downgrade from the last two years.

Edited by CoolEric258

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is what I think of the Christmas slate:

Aquaman also benefits a lot from this date, but I've been getting the sense a delay is incoming. Everything that's been seen so far is very unfinished footage, and considering we aren't getting the trailer for at least another month, I have my doubts about whether this can make Christmas. Hell, we've been hearing more about Shazam lately.

Bumblebee will be fine, but its potential gross is limited. Personally, I'd move this to February where there's no competition (Dark Phoenix is a bomb).

Alita is getting hurt right now by the number of releases. If two of Aquaman/Bumblebee/Mortal Engines moved, it'd be a great date.

Mortal Engines is going to bomb wherever it lands. Universal should do theaters a solid and get it out of Christmas.

I always appreciate many of your insights, numbers and opinions, it feels like you are one of the few members in here who truly appreciates the "theory" part of the title of this site. You sometimes sound incredibly dismissive when talking about certain things though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hades said:

Aquaman wins domestic. Poppins wins overseas this December . Not sure what film will get third place. 

Poppins is winning dom and I say that as someone who thinks Aq will do pretty well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Ehh, why not?

Mary Poppins: $260M

Aquaman: $205M

Spider-Man: $140M

Bumblebee: $80M

Holmes & Watson: $70M

Alita: $50M

Mortal Engines: $45M

Yikes, this Christmas slate's a real downgrade from the last two years.

Poppins: 300M

Aquaman: 180M

Bumblebee: 145M

Spider-Man: 130M

Alita: 110M (will go up a bit if stuff moves)

Mortal Engines: 35M

Holmes: 30M

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

I always appreciate many of your insights, numbers and opinions, it feels like you are one of the few members in here who truly appreciates the "theory" part of the title of this site. You sometimes sound incredibly dismissive when talking about certain things though.

I aim to please :)