Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

Just now, Lor San Tele said:

I like a steampunk aesthetic in general, but while it's a nifty concept, I'm unsold on this particular version. Maybe the full trailer will convince me. 

London could do with being twice as wide and ten times as tall.

I know about as much of this property as Trump about being a decent human being, and coming from that perspective, I thought it was gonna be another dumb, grainy, doomsday-ish young adult movie. It has elements of that, but overall, it's not what I expected, and I liked the trailer.

Now granted, it's not the best looking thing ever and there are nitpicks to point out, but I dig the Mad Max meets Howl's Moving Castle concept, and I think it could be thematically strong, delving on topics like cultural appropriation and globalization of the big societies against the smaller ones trying to survive on their own. Love the steampunk style as well. I think it could be an entertaining movie.

Don't think it's gonna do great business though, since Aquaman and Bumblebee consecutively and will probably steal audience (and even the animated Spider-Man film can have some audience overlap too). Best case scenario: it has good wom, breaks out and pulls somewhere in the 110-120M range throughout the Holidays.

• Like 2

Interesting looking concept, but as it stands there's no emotional hook, so I need a reason to care. When the first trailer hits, perhaps that will happen. 

Still, if the goal was just to get a sort of footprint to establish a baseline familiarity to build on interest later, I suppose it succeeded. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DameronRoc said:

Interesting looking concept, but as it stands there's no emotional hook, so I need a reason to care.

Oppression of the weak by the strong. It exudes imperialistic traits. London being the baddy is a little on the nose but hey...

Btw, i like the dynamic camera, even the closeups show a certain energy. Rivers learned well from Jackson.

58 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Yeah, the title of this is definitely unfortunate. I saw the thread and my initial reaction was "I thought they canned that flop YA series."

Ironically Philip Reeve finished all four books of his Mortal Engines Quartet in 2006, a year before the first book of Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series was published.

One of the books in Reeve's series is called Infernal Devices, which is the title of one of Clare's series, though except for title similarity, there doesn't seem to be anything similar about their works other than popularity.

• Like 1

saw this trailer before TLJ last night and wow, this doesn't look good and got zero reaction from my crowd (yes very anecdotal I know)

I mean the movie maybe fine, but the trailer just was nothing

They did a pretty good job for a teaser that's selling a movie that's still a year away. It introduced us to the concept of cities on wheels with a pretty dramatic scene. I dunno what you people are expecting? The first teaser for Star Trek was the ship being build in drydock. Wow!!! (i liked that one, too)

• Like 1