Alli

Weekend Numbers: Thursday Previews - INFERNO: $800k

I bet Madea takes this weekend's crown. 

Madea 15M

Inferno 14M

Who would have thought? 

With this opening number I can't see it might be hard to get pass 35M in the US with Dr. Strange and slew of adult films hitting theaters in the next 3 weeks.

Sully opened to more than that in three days. 

This fall is fun to watch.

Edited by boxofficeth

38 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Some of these movies suffered from having so many adult targeted films in a short period 

An all too often problem that the studios refuse to recognize. Like stacking too many family film in summer the insistence on programming similar type films or similar demo skewing film will always be a mystery to me. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, narniadis said:

An all too often problem that the studios refuse to recognize. Like stacking too many family film in summer the insistence on programming similar type films or similar demo skewing film will always be a mystery to me. 

To be fair, it's not like Inferno would've done substantially better without it coming on the heels of various other adult-targeted films. The textbook definition of a sequel that nobody asked for.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, it's not like Inferno would've done substantially better without it coming on the heels of various other adult-targeted films. The textbook definition of a sequel that nobody asked for.

Yes, but there are still examples of films that were hurt by being released after other films, especially since the studio's have been releasing more and more movies per week since the 90's.

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yes, but there are still examples of films that were hurt by being released after other films, especially since the studio's have been releasing more and more movies per week since the 90's.

Tbh, if Inferno and GOTT swapped release dates, Inferno would've probably done GOTT numbers, and GOTT would have done Inferno numbers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Tbh, if Inferno and GOTT swapped release dates, Inferno would've probably done GOTT numbers, and GOTT would have done Inferno numbers.

I think it could have made a few extra million, but I agree with Filmlover on this, Inferno was just an unnecessary sequel, and from what I've heard, it's pretty boring too.

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think it could have made a few extra million, but I agree with Filmlover on this, Inferno was just an unnecessary sequel, and from what I've heard, it's pretty boring too.

Still, was anyone asking for a 2nd Jack Reacher?  And that was apparently pretty boring as well.  That still hit 20M OW. 

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Still, was anyone asking for a 2nd Jack Reacher?  And that was apparently pretty boring as well.  That still hit 20M OW. 

Jack Reacher at least had considerably better reviews. I agree that a different release date would have helped Inferno, but it's kinda null and theotrical at this point anyway.

Edited by Fancyarcher

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Jack Reacher at least had considerably better reviews. I agree that a different release date would have helped Inferno, but it's kinda null and theotrical at this point anyway.

Still, Angels and Demons had its fans, and did sell considerably more tickets than Reacher.

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

agree. Inferno could have done better and should have made over 20m. Weird that Sony kind of dumped on of the only remaining series it has

46 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Still, Angels and Demons had its fans, and did sell considerably more tickets than Reacher.

Inferno was less popular, so of course it was gonna drop.

Also I don't really think that Sony was gonna bother with a fourth Langdon movie anyway, especially since each installment in the film series made considerably less then the next.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Inferno was less popular, so of course it was gonna drop.

Also I don't really think that Sony was gonna bother with a fourth Langdon book anyway, especially since each installment in the film series made considerably less then the next.

Didn't Inferno sell more copies than any other book in 2013, tho?

People still had some interest (considerably less, but some) in the Robert Langdon series.  I maintain that this would've done better had it had secured a better release date.

35 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

People still had some interest (considerably less, but some) in the Robert Langdon series.  I maintain that this would've done better had it had secured a better release date.

Yeah, but it was 8m which was way less then either The Davinchi Code or Angels & Demons (although to be fair, book sales aren't as good as they once are). I agree that it could have done better with a different release date, but it's pretty obvious that the Langdon series was a bit of a fad. 

People will always give Tyler Perry shit but you cannot deny that the man knows his audience and gives them what they want.  I have three or four friends who have seen MH and all of have said it's one of his best.  He's doing the same thing with the OWN network where his shows consistently top not only the network but are sometimes the highest rated cable shows of the night.  You could make a strong argument that Madea has as much star power as anyone else there over the past decade...  

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

People will always give Tyler Perry shit but you cannot deny that the man knows his audience and gives them what they want.  I have three or four friends who have seen MH and all of have said it's one of his best.  He's doing the same thing with the OWN network where his shows consistently top not only the network but are sometimes the highest rated cable shows of the night.  You could make a strong argument that Madea has as much star power as anyone else there over the past decade...  

Madea is the kind of crazy person that everyone has in there family and you love to hate and hate to love all at the same time. Makes it easy to relate, particularly when TP puts her in various situations.

Madea is like my grandmother lol which makes me love the films even more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Considering that this is the latest unnecessary sequel this to be shunned by audiences this year, I doubt it.