Alli

Weekend Numbers: Thursday Previews - INFERNO: $800k

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Considering that this is the latest unnecessary sequel this to be shunned by audiences this year, I doubt it.

Starting to think about it...had they just greenlit The Lost Symbol for release after Angels and Demons got released and fast-tracked it for 2011/2012, before Inferno in 2015, this franchise might've been more successful. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Starting to think about it...had they just greenlit The Lost Symbol for release after Angels and Demons got released and fast-tracked it for 2011/2012, before Inferno in 2015, this franchise might've been more successful. 

Yup, I think it was too long between sequels.

Still, Inferno is doing okay OS. Not great or anything but enough not to bomb.

Honestly, there has been so much mishandling of franchises this year by so many studios that it's embarrassing.

Why the hell was a Zoolander sequel not made in like 2007 or 2008, back when Stiller was still popular and Zoolander had an audience.  Why wasn't Independence Day 2 released in like 2005, when there could still be minor nostalgia and when disaster films were still relevant.  Why wasn't Alice 2 released in like 2013, when the film was still probably relatively fresh in people's minds.  Why wasn't Ghostbusters made with just two male Ghostbusters...all that backlash would've been avoided if they only swapped out two of the females for two males.

And now Inferno is mishandled.  Get a fucking grip, studios.  You need to make your tentpoles come at a good time, not at such a poor time where there's like a 0% chance the film will succeed.  At that point, just cancel the film lmao.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

We still need to know what @James thinks about these numbers

Well, I'd usually say that americans have sucky tastes (they do), but Sony fucked up the ending of the film so fuck'em. I am not defending this movie. Do I hope they will make other DB movies? Of course. I liked AD and DVC to some extent. But they messed with DB's work so they deserve the shit coming their way.

Tbh I think there really was no saving Inferno (at least domestic) other than not making the movie. The fall off looks to be so severe from the second movie (which itself took a pretty sizable dip from the first one) that this was clearly a sequel that no one was clamoring for.

I'm curious about Resident Evil The Final Chapter's numbers. They waited way too much to release this movie.

Almost 5 years after the previous one. Sony will try to profit on RE and will probably milk Underworld to death. If Inferno is indeed the final movie due decreasing box office, I guess they'll have no choice. At least Resident Evil is getting its conclusion.

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm curious about Resident Evil The Final Chapter's numbers. They waited way too much to release this movie.

Almost 5 years after the previous one. Sony will try to profit on RE and will probably milk Underworld to death. If Inferno is indeed the final movie due decreasing box office, I guess they'll have no choice. At least Resident Evil is getting its conclusion.

I think the fact Resident Evil 7 comes a few days before the movie, so I think that might the movie a bit

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Honestly, there has been so much mishandling of franchises this year by so many studios that it's embarrassing.

Why the hell was a Zoolander sequel not made in like 2007 or 2008, back when Stiller was still popular and Zoolander had an audience.  Why wasn't Independence Day 2 released in like 2005, when there could still be minor nostalgia and when disaster films were still relevant.  Why wasn't Alice 2 released in like 2013, when the film was still probably relatively fresh in people's minds.  Why wasn't Ghostbusters made with just two male Ghostbusters...all that backlash would've been avoided if they only swapped out two of the females for two males.

And now Inferno is mishandled.  Get a fucking grip, studios.  You need to make your tentpoles come at a good time, not at such a poor time where there's like a 0% chance the film will succeed.  At that point, just cancel the film lmao.

well, sequels/franchises weren't nearly as much of a thing even 10 years ago. Disney has cornered the market, so now it's desperation that's really bringing these films back from the dead. 

10 hours ago, Treecraft said:

Ticket prices haven't really risen in the past few decades other than with inflation.

When you factor in inflation, average cinema ticket now is only 10% more expensive than it was in 1996 (20 years ago).

...well of course. Inflation is kind of an important metric when comparing prices from the past.

Looking at the data, you're right, @Treecraft . Adjusted for inflation, the prices haven't really changed much: movie-ticket-inflation-slice.jpg

So if the ticket prices aren't a factor, something else has to be contributing to falling movie ticket sales. I think the other obvious reason is that there's more entertainment out there: very few tentpole films, streaming, piracy, etc.

5TH Update, Saturday 1o:15 PM: Say what you will about Halloween impacting the box office, but history has shown that there’s typically a movie that benefits from the holiday, and this weekend that title is Lionsgate’s Tyler Perry’s Boo! A Madea Halloween. The old lady is giving the distributor its first No. 1 second weekend hold of the year with an estimated $16.5M-$17M, sending Sony’s Dan Brown threequel Inferno into second place with a revised industry opening between $14.5M-$15M. As we mentioned previously, overseas has been a boom for Inferno with an anticipated $150M, but stateside is a complete bust for this $75M production.

Boo! saw an estimated $7.9M on Saturday, a 71% spike over yesterday while Inferno today essentially remained flat with its Friday ticket sales of $5.5M. We detailed what went wrong with Inferno stateside in our previous post; essentially peg it to a once controversial, riveting property by author Dan Brown gone formula, and critics smelled blood from the onset giving the Ron Howard-directed movie a 20% Rotten Tomatoes score.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Arlborn said:

Yup, I think it was too long between sequels.

Still, Inferno is doing okay OS. Not great or anything but enough not to bomb.

I'm not even sure if I've seen the second one.