Alli

Weekend Numbers: Thursday Previews - INFERNO: $800k

26 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Big $86M intl opening wknd for #DoctorStrange from 33 mkts. #Disney & #Marvel report it is +49% vs #AntMan from same mkts & even w/ Thor2.

In 33 markets, the Benedict Cumberbatch-starrer blasted past projections to debut 49% ahead of Ant-Man, 37% ahead of Guardians Of The Galaxy, 23% ahead of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and 1% ahead of Thor: The Dark World when comparing the same suite of territories and all at today’s exchange rates.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Strange @ 70

Trolls @ 35 

Hacksaw @ 15+  

Holdovers @ 40     

Gives you aprox 160m I could see maybe 180 IF the three openers all breakout big time but I doubt it. Still nothing to sneeze at and sets up a good run for the month of November.

That is a realistic prediction.

My wishful predictions:

Dr. Strange 90M (Thor 2's number)

Trolls 45-50M (Megamind's number)

Hacksaw 20-25M

Holdover 40M

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

That is a realistic prediction.

My wishful predictions:

Dr. Strange 90M (Thor 2's number)

Trolls 45-50M (Megamind's number)

Hacksaw 20-25M

Holdover 40M

That would make me sooooo happy. 

• Like 2

Key markets of DOCTOR STRANGE:

Korea $18.1M
UK $11.1M
France $5.7M
Australia $4.9M
Germany $4.8M
Mexico $4.6M
Taiwan $4.3M
Hong Kong $3.2M
Indonesia $3.1M
Philippines $2.7M
Italy $2.5M
Thailand $2.5M
Russia $2.5M
Malaysia $2.4M
Singapore $2.2M
Spain $2.2M

• Like 3

Madea burns Inferno on a quiet late October weekend.                          Overall the top 12 was at  $77 million which is up 23% from last year.              Boo! A Madea Halloween led the weekend with an estimated $16.6 million, at a drop around 41% which is the best ever for a Madea film! With solid word of mouth by audiences, and a comedy not in the marketplace until November 11th with Almost Christmas. Madea should make $75-$85 million domestic.                                               Inferno bombed this weekend with an estimated $15 million. Which is th lowest-grossing debut of the three Dan Brown/Robert Langdon films, and the weakest start for Ron Howard/Tom Hanks ever. It's also to note that the first two Langdon films also had controversies prior to its release, Inferno did not. On a positive note Inferno is doing sucessful overseas. So Inferno is a hit internationally, but a big bomb in the states. With lackluster word of mouth, and a heavily competitive November Inferno should rot quickly. Look for Inferno to cool down with a total around $35-$40 million domestic.                                         Jack Reacher: Never Go Back dropped hard this weekend at nearly 60% which is steeper than its predcessor. With mixed word of mouth, Jack Reacher should die off quickly and make $60 million domestic.                                             The Accountant had a solid hold under 40% and should make north of $80 million domestic.                   Horror prequel Ouija:Origin Of Evil had a decent drop close to 50% which is slightly steeper than its predcessor, but not bad for a horror prequel. Ouija should scare up around $35 million domestic.              The Girl On The Train had a solid hold around 40%, and should make $75-$80 million domestic. Miss Peregrine's dropped solid under 35% and should make $85-$90 million domestic. Keeping Up With The Jonesses had a solid hold, and should die off in the weeks to come and make near $15 million domestic. Storks had a possibly one more good hold this weekend, and should make around $75 million domestic.                                         Indian Romantic Drama Ae Dil Hai Muskhi had a decent start with an estimated $2.3 million at 302 locations, and is  FIP studios second best debut right behind Prem Ratan Dhan Payo from last year.     Overseas: although Inferno bombed in its domestic start, it has a solid amount with $132 million overseas, and nearly $150 million worldwide.                                       Doctor Strange is off to solid ground overseas with $86 million 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

In 33 markets, the Benedict Cumberbatch-starrer blasted past projections to debut 49% ahead of Ant-Man, 37% ahead of Guardians Of The Galaxy, 23% ahead of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and 1% ahead of Thor: The Dark World when comparing the same suite of territories and all at today’s exchange rates.

bear in mind its weekend was a lot longer than it was for those films. It had up to a 6-day weekend compared to 3-day for Ant Man, GOTG and Cap.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Going by Australia's opening Strange would open around 60m in the US

Yeah, I think 70m is still the upper goal for it although it wouldn't surprise me if it opened just over 60m or as high as 80m. The box office being so dead right now really makes it more difficult to judge.

• Like 1

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 3

"Overaseas audiences are reacting to the freshness of the character as well as the special effects. Testament to that, the Korea launch is also the all-time best for IMAX, beating Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

In overall IMAX plays, Doctor Strange opened on 213 screens in 32 countries, producing record results with an estimated weekend of $7.8M. The Scott Derrickson-helmed film is IMAX’s best ever October debut internationally and more than doubled the previous record set by Gravity with $3.2M."

http://deadline.com/2016/10/doctor-strange-overseas-opening-benedict-cumberbatch-marvel-inferno-trolls-china-international-box-office-weekend-results-1201844444/

• Like 2

Can I go on a bold limb and say that next weekend The Accountant will stay in the top 5? I'm predicting Inferno is dropping over 60% and falling out of the top 5, and Reacher has already fallen 58% (est.), so I see Mathfleck outlasting both of them for the #5 position.

LAUGHABLE opening weekend for Inferno. Great fucking riddance, that was. Not a Madea fan, but I'm glad that it outdid Inferno. Awful hold for Reacher too. Solid holds for Accountant and Storks. Not a bad hold for Ouija 2 either, probably bolstered by Halloween weekend but surprising that it didn't fall over 50% given the frontloaded nature of horror franchise movies + the badwill of the original.

October was boring. Last year's sucked too, but at least it had The Martian. This year, the closest thing to breakout hits were Accountant and Madea, and they won't end up getting half of The Martian anyway. Yeah, bring on November.

Edited by MCKillswitch123