kayumanggi

SNOW WHITE | 03.21.2025 | Disney

Instead of dwarfs, Disney will fill the void with a group of what they describe as “magical creatures,” according to casting sheets that TheWrap has seen. (They are currently looking for voice actors to give these creatures personality.) It’s unclear if they will inhabit the same roles as the dwarfs – will they be mining for jewels? Will they have names like Sleepy, Grumpy, and Bashful? – but these magical creatures will be the substitutes for the original seven dwarfs.

https://www.thewrap.com/snow-white-peter-dinklage-disney-response/

To make the pro "this has all been an unjustified politicized freakout" case, I'll flag that the magical creatures line was always looking for voice actors implying the 7 [____] would not obviously be physically acting on set against other actors in the manner implied by the tabloid leak. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

This and Mufasa will bomb so hard that the live-action remake era for Disney will end. TLM's underwhelming run was a warning sign, now the dam is breaking. The Moana remake will either be sent to D+, canned, or Batgirl'd.

This coming after Mufasa now may make it look very slightly better in performance though. I don’t think people are truly prepared for how bad Mufasa is going to do barring shockingly good WOM. I am not ruling out a 90% decrease in WW gross. 

Also, TLM is one of Disney’s brightest spots at the box office this year tbh, so I wouldn’t say it has really damaged the live action brand. The 1/2 punch of Mufasa and this certainly could though. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

This coming after Mufasa now may make it look very slightly better in performance though. I don’t think people are truly prepared for how bad Mufasa is going to do barring shockingly good WOM. I am not ruling out a 90% decrease in WW gross. 

I could see both coming in under $200m WW.

1 minute ago, Eric Fazbear said:

*peeks around corner*

I still think this will do fine. Princess stuff is Disney’s bread and butter and the kids don’t care about the “backlash” crap this is going through.

*leaves before getting lectured*

True, but I don't think kids care about Snow White...Like at all.

TLK, Aladdin, BATB, TLM were way more well-known among kids when their live-action versions came out, as they hold up as crowd-pleasers even 30 years later. They also had nostalgic millennials who wanted to relive their childhoods fueling box office.

But Snow White? It's respected amongst hardcore animated fans, but I really don't think it appeals to modern-day sensibilities and tastes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Fazbear said:

*peeks around corner*

I still think this will do fine. Princess stuff is Disney’s bread and butter and the kids don’t care about the “backlash” crap this is going through.

*leaves before getting lectured*

Nah. Cinderella numbers is the ceiling for this one. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE knows Snow White story just like Cinderella. There’s no reason to really see the movie and see something new.

But given all the controversies, this is really just a bomb 

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

True, but I don't think kids care about Snow White...Like at all.

TLK, Aladdin, BATB, TLM were way more well-known among kids when their live-action versions came out, as they hold up as crowd-pleasers even 30 years later. They also had nostalgic millennials who wanted to relive their childhoods fueling box office.

But Snow White? It's respected amongst hardcore animated fans, but I really don't think it appeals to modern-day sensibilities and tastes. 

Well to clarify, I’m not saying it will make as much as those movies. But something like 190, on par with Cinderella? That sounds solid to me. Like I doubt Disney expects Little Mermiad numbers, so why should I?

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

This and Mufasa will bomb so hard that the live-action remake era for Disney will end. TLM's underwhelming run was a warning sign, now the dam is breaking. The Moana remake will either be sent to D+, canned, or Batgirl'd.

This is Greta Gerwigs first movie after Barbie. It'll do fine.

• Disbelief 1

I know nothing about this upcoming remake. I've barely heard anything about it, don't have a strong opinion on the overall quality of the Disney remakes, don't know what controversies may or may not be floating around, nor do I care.

What I can say is that I just saw the photo on Twitter, and was so revolted by the aesthetic that I was compelled to log back in here and say I was reminded of "Cats".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

And you think they won't put "from the writer of Barbie" in every promo?

They can do that all they want but it won't help. The film itself will have to look appealing. If Gerwig were directing it? That would help for sure but she isn't. 

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

This is Greta Gerwigs first movie after Barbie. It'll do fine.

She isn't directing it. If she was, maybe it would do well. It is instead being directed by Marc Webb who has directed like 1 good movie. No one is going to see it because it was written by the same person who wrote the Barbie movie 2 years ago.

• Like 1