That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Saturday Asgrard pg 28 or 29 DS 32 Trolls 19 HR 5.8

27 minutes ago, Kraken said:

The thing with X Men is that back in 2000 it felt like they had to distance themselves from the comics and Singer's take was a little more grounded and a lot less colorful. Something Raimi's Spiderman and the MCU never did. Now, it produced some great movies (I'll take any good X-film over anything Marvel's done) but it doesn't really have that larger than life expectacle the others do. And the franchise is designed to handle some pretty heavy themes. Just like the superb Planet of the Apes series, it's hard for them to break out when humanity itself is a bad guy. 

As for freshening itself up: Deadpool is probably the way. A movie that wears its comic books flag proudly.

The problem is they keep doing the same theme over and over again when the comics are far more diverse.   Humanity is supposedly the bad guy but it's really Magneto and his Genocidal tendencies that Charles like to slap him on the wrist for.  Rinse & Repeat with a big Time Travel Do Over in the middle. 

The group and their powers are actually perfect for spectacle but it's rarely tapped into an the attempts at doing it with X-3 and APOC were messy, wanting to go big but not really knowing how to do it.  Though they have a large diverse interesting set of charterers to play with they've highlighted a mere handful and used most as cannon fodder or background.  In 16 years the series hasn't given us a new breakout character and haven't even done justice to characters like Storm, Cyclops or Angel though they've been used several times.

That might be one of the reasons Deadpool hit so hard. 

• Like 10

Guys hacksaw ridge is absolutely amazing go see it please. If it doesn't make over 100M I'm going to be very disappointed. Seriously, this movie deserves A LOT. Everyone involved did an incredible job. I was part of a truly thunderous applause when the credits rolled. 

Trolls is also very cute. Wasn't a fan at first but the second half got to me. 7/10

• Like 1

Also estimates from my theatre for Saturday

DS 21-23M (from 22M Friday including previews)

Trolls 28-29.5M (from 14.5M Friday)

Hacksaw Ridge 12.3M (from a 7.1M Friday)

Reacher/Inferno 4.5-5M (both had Friday's between 2.6-2.8M)

21 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Canadians :rolleyes:

Yea, which he downed after visiting the local Tim Hortons, and proudly singing the Hockey Night in Canada theme while riding his polar bear back home in the -40(Celsius) temperatures, to which he went to the hospital for frostbite where he was treated with free health care :P

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yea, which he downed after visiting the local Tim Hortons, and proudly singing the Hockey Night in Canada theme while riding his polar bear back home in the -40(Celsius) temperatures, to which he went to the hospital for frostbite where he was treated with free health care :P

That's not nice to make fun of me for spewing very cliché statements :lol:

http://www.influentialcom.com/images/polar_bear_blog/polarbear_1933.gif

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

The problem is they keep doing the same theme over and over again when the comics are far more diverse.   Humanity is supposedly the bad guy but it's really Magneto and his Genocidal tendencies that Charles like to slap him on the wrist for.  Rinse & Repeat with a big Time Travel Do Over in the middle. 

The group and their powers are actually perfect for spectacle but it's rarely tapped into an the attempts at doing it with X-3 and APOC were messy, wanting to go big but not really knowing how to do it.  Though they have a large diverse interesting set of charterers to play with they've highlighted a mere handful and used most as cannon fodder or background.  In 16 years the series hasn't given us a new breakout character and haven't even done justice to characters like Storm, Cyclops or Angel though they've been used several times.

That might be one of the reasons Deadpool hit so hard.

Agree to all, but especially to the bold marked parts

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

That might be one of the reasons Deadpool hit so hard

Another reason is that Fox didn't really take a big interest in Deadpool.   Coincidence that is the most successful Xmovie?

So many great characters gone to waste over the years from the most successful comic post 1980.   The neglect of Storm, Cyclops, Colossus, and Nightcrawler is almost criminal.  Fox gets the rights and is the only studio making comic book films from the two big companies that can't get one over 250 domestic....until they let someone else take over because they didn't think it was worth their time.    Now they are interested and the director is already gone.   Another coincidence?   Maybe...

They've destroyed Fantastic Four and tainted Xmen....can't believe some believe the Xmen are better off with Fox than Marvel.    It would have to be more than just "Wolverine and Friends" at Marvel.   And we could get a proper Rogue at Marvel too.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Either superhero fatigue exist or it doesn't.

5 out of 5 superhero movies made the top ten WW for 2016 so far.

That's not a sign of fatigue.

The most successful genres are talking animals and superheroes. Nothing else comes close.

I like(most of) those movies but that's really sad.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisman0606 said:

I am shocked that DS is doing that better than Ant-Man on its opening weekend despite significant competition from Trolls, when Ant-Man opening weekend competition was Trainwreck which was not animation or any event film. 

I like Ant-Man very much, but Dr.Strange is another level... and well, Benedict Cumberbatch is now bigger star...

With a 35% Sunday drop that would give Dr Strange around 85 million. That is a pretty awesome opening. As for hacksaw Ridge the opening might be kind of small but the word of mouth really could bring this movie 2 a good box office take. I know a few people personally have seen it and they all loved it. I'm going to check it out perhaps even tonight and if it's as good as they say it is hopefully it gets at least a 4 multiplier.