That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Saturday Asgrard pg 28 or 29 DS 32 Trolls 19 HR 5.8

I don't think FB puts too much of a dent in Dr. Strange. That'd be the third weekend already. The vast majority of DS's BO will have occurred. Competition, in general, is so high now and we're seeing a boom v bust situation continuously with only the "event" movies really succeeding. Dory and Secret Life of Pets coexisted for example.

17 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I don't think FB puts too much of a dent in Dr. Strange. That'd be the third weekend already. The vast majority of DS's BO will have occurred. Competition, in general, is so high now and we're seeing a boom v bust situation continuously with only the "event" movies really succeeding. Dory and Secret Life of Pets coexisted for example.

Agreed, plus Iron Man and Ant-Man had to face competition in their respective third weeks, and both had fairly strong competition in their fourth weeks too - especially Iron Man against Indiana Jones. Plus Guardians of the Galaxy had to face Turtles in its second weekend, though admittedly GotG didn't have much more competition than that for weeks.

Just watched The Secret Life of Pets and wow. I can understand why it was s huge. As an animal lover, it is IMPOSSIBLE not to love this movie. It is funny and batshit crazy at times. And the cat! Seriously, it's EXACTLY like my cat! I don't even remember the last time I had such a blast watching an animation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moviesRus said:

Does anyone know that DS's drop was in the overseas markets it had already opened in? From what I've seen so far, it looks to be holding rather well for a CBM

South Korea opened at Wednesday (= meant complete day / release day, a bit more time for WOM to develop into the first weekend than e.g. US viewers might be used to...)

26 Oct = $2,497,553

Thu 27 Oct = $1,686,330

Fr 28 Oct = $2,734,646

Sa 29 Oct = $5,539,122

Sun 30 Oct = $4,662,730

again Wednesday, still #1 with over 50% market share ( ~54$, Sat nearly 58%,...)

2 Nov = $977,794

Thu 3 Nov = $911,396

Fri 4 Nov = $1,567,354

Sat 5 Nov = $3,591,908

Sun 6 Nov = $2,969,943  (not finished)

Is now at $30,367,106 and has as such surpassed CA 2

MCU final results in SK

CA 1 = $3,814,179

IHulk = $6,383,794

GotG = $10,013,310      (bad luck, their then biggest local movie ever in the cinemas and news, seemingly a lot of ppl completedly missed it)

Thor 1 = $14,791,773

Ant-Man = $20,784,172

Thor 2 = $21,114,584

IM1 = $25,169,783

IM2 = $27,095,727

CA 2 = $30,177,601  

Avengers 1 = $50,683,851

CA 3 = $62,859,896    

IM 3 = $64,211,513

AoU = $78,286,828

AoU had the luck to get released around the time they filmed parts of CA there = both BOs got pushed higher

deadline wrote this:

it’s showing an overall 2nd frame drop of 38%. That’s better than those of Cap3 (-41%), Ant-Man (-42%), Guardians Of The Galaxy (-44%) and Thor: The Dark World (-46%).

European holds include Germany (-12%) (was overestimated a bit, = -20%), Austria (-19%), Belgium (-19%), the Netherlands (-20%), Italy (-25%), Denmark (-29%) and Sweden (-30%). Asia-Pacific markets also kept the Doctor busy: Australia (-33%), New Zealand (-36%), Korea (-37%), Taiwan (-41%), Malaysia (-42%), Singapore (-43%) and Hong Kong (-43%).

Doctor Strange weekend tp weekend in Germany according IndustriousAngel ~ -20%

• Like 6

I dont think The Accountant (aka "Autistic Batman") has been discussed enough. Its an actually well done movie that spent a surprisingly large amount of time on world building.

Its budget was lower than I expected and its going to be wildly profitable. Its getting the results that Wick wishes it had gotten. Id be surpris d if there wasnt a sequel. I suspect they wanted to make it a little more tongue-in-cheek but autism folks would have roasted them for it.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Why?

Argo did $5.9m OD and 19.4 OW.

Hacksaw Ridge multiplier over the weekend was too low for a movie with amazing WOM...

Argo had more room to breakout. It didn't have that much competition surrounding it. HR went against 85 million opener Doctor Strange and 45M opener Trolls, while Argo's biggest competition was Taken 2 in its 2nd weekend at only 21M, and the 2nd biggest opener that weekend was Sinister w/a few million less than what Argo opened to.

At least that's how I think it plays out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

I dont think The Accountant (aka "Autistic Batman") has been discussed enough. Its an actually well done movie that spent a surprisingly large amount of time on world building.

Its budget was lower than I expected and its going to be wildly profitable. Its getting the results that Wick wishes it had gotten. Id be surpris d if there wasnt a sequel. I suspect they wanted to make it a little more tongue-in-cheek but autism folks would have roasted them for it.

There's no reason to be tongue in cheek. The whole point is to de-stigmatize autism to an extent. Autistic people are constantly teased and mocked, it's about time they had a superhero since autism does enable some people to do incredible things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

Sure but John Wick was less than half the budget ($44m v $20m) and probably about that much less is marketing and it doesn't look like The Accountant will double it WW. (Wick did $86m)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sure but John Wick was less than half the budget ($44m v $20m) and probably about that much less is marketing and it doesn't look like The Accountant will double it WW. (Wick did $86m)

Uh, Accountant has already done ~70m domestic and is coming off a 6m weekend with great drops. Accountant may not double Wick WW but its at least 50/50 to double it domestically and that's considerably more important.

Edited by Wrath

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

There's no reason to be tongue in cheek. The whole point is to de-stigmatize autism to an extent. Autistic people are constantly teased and mocked, it's about time they had a superhero since autism does enable some people to do incredible things.

I haven't seen The Accountant, but as someone who's actually autistic, based off what I've read, I don't think Affleck's character in The Accountant exactly sounds like he's the greatest role-model out there.

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I haven't seen The Accountant, but as someone who's actually autistic, based off what I've read, I don't think Affleck's character in The Accountant exactly sounds like he's the greatest role-model out there.

At this point, it's better than nothing to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

At this point, it's better than nothing to me.

Rain Man is a really good film about autism, and there have been other films with autistic characters, but yeah I wish someone out there would make a film accurately describing autism. I'd certainly like if they did.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Rain Man is a really good film about autism, and there have been other films with autistic characters, but yeah I wish someone out there would make a film accurately describing autism. I'd certainly like if they did.

Has there been any fictional media with accurate autistic characters?

14 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Has there been any fictional media with accurate autistic characters?

Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape wasn't bad, but really none that I can think of, off the top of my head. A lot of the problems of autism portrayal in the media, is that autistic people are often portrayed as lacking in real emotion, which from my experience is just not true.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, James said:

Just watched The Secret Life of Pets and wow. I can understand why it was s huge. As an animal lover, it is IMPOSSIBLE not to love this movie. It is funny and batshit crazy at times. And the cat! Seriously, it's EXACTLY like my cat! I don't even remember the last time I had such a blast watching an animation. 

O rly? @Baumer liked Blair Witch

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I've heard people discuss the movie in public and they were thoroughly impressed by the character's abilities.

Sure, he isn't Ned Flander's but in our twisted society people have more respect for a cool, calculated wonder assassin.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I've heard people discuss the movie in public and they were thoroughly impressed by the character's abilities.

Sure, he isn't Ned Flander's but in our twisted society people have more respect for a cool, calculated wonder assassin.

Based off the trailers and advertising, it seems they went for the typical emotionless autistic stereotype for the characters personality. I haven't seen the film yet, and I've heard some people I trust say it's entertaining, but it doesn't look like it's a great portrayal of autism. Should probably see the film though.

• Like 1